8 replies to this topic

#1 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

Most of you have probably noticed that SpywareInfoForum has been much less busy than we used to be and this means that we also have had far fewer donations to keep us going.  The truth is that we are almost out of money to sustain hosting and other charges.  We have been looking for ways to either increase revenue or decrease costs. There is a possibility that we might add advertising to the forum in order to increase revenue, but since that is dependent on traffic, it may not be enough to sustain the forum even then.  We have been looking at the option of changing hosting services to a cheaper option and it is likely that we will be acting on that soon. We have been contacting some of the best reviewed services to find out what they offer and determine what the costs would be.  We believe that we may be able to significantly reduce our hosting costs by making this switch.  One company indicated that we would need fairly advanced services for the size and traffic of the forum and the costs they quoted were not workable for us, but we are still researching some other companies and hoping to get a better deal.  We may need to deal with a slower forum and more glitches in order to survive.  The main options being considered right now are shared hosting and virtual cloud hosting because they seem to be in the range that we can afford.  However, until we actually speak with them, we won't know for sure that the costs promoted on their sites are real and sufficient to host the forum. 

As many of you may know, we are using an outdated version of IPB software because we found out that the updated version would significantly increase our costs while also decreasing our functions.  We are looking at the possibility of changing to an open source forum software called MyBB which would be free. It appears that it is capable of everything that our current software can do and more.  Since we are at a dead-end with our current software we need to come up with some workable option.

In regard to both of these issues, if you have expertise in working with forum software and managing websites, we could use some help.  Neither I (Budfred) nor the other Admin (Rocket Grannie) have the expertise to manage some of the technical aspects of the changes we need to make.  We may be able to get help migrating the forum to a new host and there is a conversion program for MyBB, but if we run into any tricky issues, we are likely to be stuck.  If you have the expertise and are willing to help, please let us know. 

We believe that SpywareInfo Forum is a valuable resource as an archive even if it is not as active as it was in the past.  If the costs of these changes work out the way we believe they will, we will have enough funds to cover almost a year. However, to maintain the forum over time, we will need more donations or other sources of revenue.  If you value this forum as a resource, please consider donating. If it works out as we hope, a month may cost us about $15 US, so each donation of $15 will represent another month. If you can afford that much, it will go a long way toward sustaining the forum and we will be most grateful.  We continue to be run entirely by volunteers and we plan to continue to provide the services we offer for free.

This topic is open for ideas, comments or anything else that might address the issues noted, so please let us know what you are thinking.  If you know of other resources that might be able to help, please note that as well.

Thank you.

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

UPDATE:

At this point, it looks like we are going to a shared hosting arrangement with HostWinds https://www.hostwinds.com/and we will probably be migrating in the next few days.  We don't know if we will have any downtime during the migration, but it will not be surprising if we do.  In order to avoid further charges with our current host, we will probably wait to convert to MyBB until after we are settled with the new host.  We could still use donations for now and the future even though it looks like we can probably get by for now.

Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

And another UPDATE:

We have contracted with HostWinds and we are working with them to get the website moved to the new host.  It is possible (likely??) that we will encounter some glitches in the process, so please have patience as we complete the migration.  Assuming no unexpected expenses, we will be able to keep SWI functioning for quite a while longer with the new host.  Donations are still needed and will be gratefully accepted.

Budfred

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:45 PM

It appears that we have successfully moved to our new hosts, but for some reason a number of recent posts and other actions are now missing.  We apologize for this problem.  We are still consolidating the changes we are making and will probably soon by moving to MyBB for forum software.

Budfred

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

Update and apology.  We had an SSL certificate installed to improve security for logins on the site and this resulted in locking us down to the point that no one could access the site to do anything other than look.  I was not able to sign into our Admin Control Panel, so I couldn't do anything to correct the problem either.  I worked with the new host to resolve the issue and they had said they couldn't do anything, but this morning I got instructions from them to go to the Admin CP and I was able to do so, as well as posting on the site again.  They offered no explanation, but I see that we no longer have the SSL certificate, so I suspect they somehow removed it.  I will continue to work with them to find out more about what happened and how to fix it so that we can have that extra security and still use the site.  I apologize for the problem.  I attempted to post an update several times, but I could not do so.

Budfred

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

We are still working on sorting out the SSL situation - many thanks to Rocket Grannie for that.  The forum seems to be working as usual in the meantime and further updates will be posted as needed.  We may still run into some glitches, but hopefully we will remain accessible as we sort them out.

Budfred

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Rocket Grannie has gotten the forum running smoothly again.  If you run into any glitches, please post here to let us know. 

Budfred

#8 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,388 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Budfred and RG :yahoo:

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#9 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,165 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

Thank you for your support.
nasdaq

Favorite tools: [ SpywareBlaster ] [ Spybot ] [ AdAware ] [ HijackThis ]
[ Housecall online virus scan ] [ Bitdefender online virus scan ]
[ AVG antivirus ] [ Sunbelt Personal Firewall ] [ ZoneAlarm firewall ]

My help is free, but if we have helped you in anyway,please considerDonating ,
see this topic for details.
We need members like you.

========
Shouldn't water be worth more than diamonds?
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Magpie (1)
Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!