11 replies to this topic

#1 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

Hi 

I wonder if someone can help me out? My son's Vaio VPCF23B9E laptop has issues. when you press the power button the Vaio logo appears but then gives message "operating system not found". When we use the assist button nothing happens and it just goes to the same message. I've checked the bios and the Hard Drive is recognised and 1st in the boot order. He doesn't have any recovery disks and when I tried to boot in safe mode F2 again nothing happens.

Would really appreciate some direction with this.

Sorry can't post any logs as there's nothing to interact with.

Many thanks in advance

Ali

#2 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

Hello agangelus.

Welcome back to SpywareInfo Forum.

I'm Android 8888 and I'll be helping you with your son's laptop issues.

Please ask questions if anything is unclear.

Can you tell me which Operating System is installed on this laptop? Is it Windows 7, 8/8.1 or 10?

Thank you.

Android 8888

Android 8888

Tavira - Here's where I live!

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Our help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation; Please see This Topic for details.

#3 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

Can you tell me which Operating System is installed on this laptop? Is it Windows 7, 8/8.1 or 10?

Hi 

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It originally had Windows 7 but was upgraded to Windows 10 a while back. 

Ali :-)

#4 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:52 AM

agangelus,

Since Windows fails to boot completely and you don't have a recovery disk you will need to create a System Repair Disk to boot the computer. You will have to have access to a working Windows 10 computer to create that disk.

Please read the instructions on this link and try to create a System Repair Disk.

Then let me know when you are ready.

Thank you.

Android 8888

Edited by Android 8888, 04 September 2018 - 09:53 AM.

Android 8888

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Our help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation; Please see This Topic for details.

#5 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hi there

I've created the disk from my own Windows 10 pc.

Ali

#6 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:59 AM

Hello agangelus.

First, disconnect all removable devices such as USB flash drive, Printers, etc. from the laptop.

Now you will need to access the BIOS of the unbootable laptop and change the boot order of the CD/DVD drive (to 1st) so the laptop load Windows from the repair CD/DVD you have created.

Once it's done, please insert the Windows 10 repair disk on the unbootable laptop and restart it.

Once in the Windows Setup screen menu click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt

When Command Prompt loads, type the following three commands below (one line at a time) and press the Enter key after each of them (please note there is a space after the letter e and before the / in all):

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Note: If the program finds a Windows installation and asks whether it should add it to the boot list, press the Y key.

Each command might take several minutes to complete. Once all the processes are finished, restart the laptop and see if it boots successfully.

Let me know how you get on.

Thank you.

Android 8888

Android 8888

#7 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:51 PM

Hi there

I've followed your instruction but when I put the disc in and reboot, I get a message saying "Non-System disk or disk error Replace and press any key when ready"

Ali

#8 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:41 AM

Hello Ali,

I've followed your instruction but when I put the disc in and reboot, I get a message saying "Non-System disk or disk error Replace and press any key when ready"

That message points towards the drive the laptop is trying to boot from not having any boot files.

Did you used a blank CD/DVD to create the System Repair disk? Be aware that it can not be used a formatted CD/DVD.

Did you removed all non-bootable media from your son's Vaio laptop before reboot? This includes all devices connected to any of the USB ports.

Also, confirm the boot sequence in BIOS and make sure that the laptop's CD/DVD is at the top (1st) of its boot order.

Please check these points and repeat the process to boot the laptop from the System Repair disk you created.

Let me know if the problem persists.

Android 8888

Android 8888

#9 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

Hi there

I used a new disc that was sealed, then used another just to be sure.I didn't format either of them, just took it out of the packaging and put it in the laptop.

I've checked and there's nothing connected to any of the usb ports. 

Here's what is on the boot tab in the bios:

Boot Configuration 

External Device Boot (Enabled)

Network Boot (Enabled)

Boot Priority

Select 1st Boot Priority (Internal Optical Disc Drive)

Select 2nd Boot Priority (Internal Hard Disk Drive)

Select 3rd Boot Priority (Network)

When I reboot it with the disc, you can hear it looking for the necessary stuff on it, but still comes back with the Non-system disk error.

I also went back into the bios and disabled the Network Boot and the External Device Boot.

Ali

Edited by agangelus, 15 September 2018 - 04:41 AM.

#10 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hi Ali.

Okay, as the BIOS have been changed we will try to restore some values to see wheter you can get into Windows.

Please follow the instructions below in the order listed. Some steps may vary depending on the BIOS version.

Remove all media devices (CD/DVD, USB flash drive, etc.) and shut down the laptop.
When the laptop is off press and hold down the 'Assist' button to turn on the laptop.
The laptop will automatically go to VAIO Care (Rescue Mode).
Click on "Start BIOS Setup".
In menu select the Boot tab.
In 'Boot Configuration' select Boot Mode and press Enter key.
Boot mode should be 'UEFI'. If so change it to 'Legacy' and press Enter key.
In 'External Device Boot' select Enabled.
In menu select 'Exit' and then select Save Changes.
Select Yes to save the configuration changes.
Select Exit Setup, click Yes and hit Enter key.
The laptop will restart and go to Vaio Care (Rescue Mode) again.
Select 'Exit and restart from Windows'.

See if you are able to start Windows now.

Android 8888

Android 8888

#11 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:29 PM

Remove all media devices (CD/DVD, USB flash drive, etc.) and shut down the laptop.
When the laptop is off press and hold down the 'Assist' button to turn on the laptop.
The laptop will automatically go to VAIO Care (Rescue Mode).

Hi there

I made sure all media was removed so nothing else was connected. I did as you said and held down the assist button and the laptop turned on but no Vaio care, it just went straight to "no operating system found". So I couldn't do any of the other things you suggested.

Ali

#12 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:14 PM

Ali, please do this:

Access into the BIOS of your son's laptop.

In 'Boot Configuration' menu please enable External Device Boot.

In 'Boot Priority':
Select 1st Boot Priority (Internal Optical Disc Drive)
Select 2nd Boot Priority (Internal Hard Disk Drive)

Now you must select the Save Changes option before you exit Setup. Usually the Save Changes option is located in the 'Exit' menu tab.

At this point insert the System Repair disc on the laptop, then exit setup to boot Windows from the CD/DVD.

If you were successful with this, just let me know and wait for further instructions.

Please let me also know if you run into difficulties.

Thank you.

Android 8888

Android 8888

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button