Jump to content


Terminology question

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kisc


    Insane Ninja Hero

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:56 PM

What is the term for this:


I need to google for something like "what is the default [term] for an hp LJ 4000N on a workgroup?"

Because there is no way these people set this up beyond defaults.

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

    Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:19 PM

If you're using JetDirect, you'd need to get the IP for it.

Tap Menu, then move to the right until you see INPUTS or CONFIGURATION.

One of those holds EDIT TCP/IP. Give the printer a static IP (configuring one octet at a time, tapping right after each one), then go to Start - Settings - Printers and make a new HP4000N. Hit "Create New Port" and say that it's a JetDirect port, put in the IP, name the port, and leave those settings at default.

If you're on XP, just make the new printer, hit Create New Port, then TCP/IP Port, then specify the IP. Boom, you're done.

I have to do this a lot at my office, and on four subnets too.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 kisc


    Insane Ninja Hero

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:18 PM

Thank you for the answer, which would be a very useful answer if I had made it more clear what I actually needed. What I actually need to do is set this printer up so that it pretends it is a local printer, for use with Remote Desktop Client.

The commandline in question is

net use lpt2: \\computername\printername

See, I have a remote user that connects to a Win2k server for various reasons (this was in place before WinXP Pro was out). Now she wants to be able to print to a printer which is on her LAN. According to these FAQs, you can't do it without tricking RDC into thinking it is a local printer. Apparently this is a security thing.

general faq:

remote printing issues:

#4 B@ckdoor



  • Full Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:25 PM


the term you're looking for is: UNC path (Universal Naming Convention)

#5 kisc


    Insane Ninja Hero

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:51 AM


Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button