What firewall allows you to click on a page and

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Malleable

Malleable

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:29 AM

Im using Norton Personal Firewall, but I want something better. If a webpage just pops up, I want to be able to click on it and have my firewall block it. Some of these popup pages dont display the web address, so I dont have the ability to type out the address and manually block it (and would rather not have to go through the trouble).
Also what is good at blocking the annoying popup boxes requiring a YES/NO answer? Even if I close them, they pop back up again.

I want an easy method for telling my firewall "I dont want to see this again."

Thanks,
Mal

#2 Charlesvar

Charlesvar

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:42 PM

Hello Malleable,

First, blocking a pop-up web page is not strictly a firewall function - that would be the Browser's job and only those that have that add-on ability. Firefox is one. IE with SP2 will be another.

There are firewalls that incorporate Ad blocking, which is what you're really asking for. ZA pro for instance has that option.

What you need is an Ad blocker addition to the current Browser you're using.

This site http://www.popup-kil...w.com/index.htm explains how pop-ups/pop-unders work - lengthy list of popup blocking software, both free and paid, and also has testing of those blockers.

Regards - Charles

Edited by Charlesvar, 02 August 2004 - 09:46 PM.

#3 Malleable

Malleable

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:23 PM

Charles,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasnt thinking about the browser being the line of defense, but that does make sense.
I probably dont have SP2.
I will go through the list and see what works best.
Do you have any opinion on the best type of blocking software?

Im wasnt sure if ad blocking encompasses all the other type of blocks that pop up (yes/no type stuff as well).

Thanks,
Mal

#4 Charlesvar

Charlesvar

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

I probably dont have SP2.

No you don't have SP2 - its MS's security service pack that's due out shortly and one of the changes that's pertinet to this thread is that IE will have pop-up blocking capabilty which according to one SP2 beta tester will be better in that regard than Firefox. You should install SP2 a couple of weeks after its available for download. So you'll see what it will do for you on this issue. In the meantime, download some of the free blockers and see how they work.

Do you have any opinion on the best type of blocking software?

I dual boot OSes and run two different kinds.

One is ZoneAlarm Pro which has blocking ability of ads and script type routines and ActiveX.

On the other, use a program called Proxomitron whiich is a user configurable web filter; has a steep learning curve because it uses HTML code for those filters.

Im wasnt sure if ad blocking encompasses all the other type of blocks that pop up (yes/no type stuff as well).

Probably not and you're going to have to be more specific - give an example.

Regards - Charles

Edited by Charlesvar, 09 August 2004 - 04:48 PM.

#5 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:21 PM

If you're using Firefox, you can use AdBlock to block entire servers or just specific images or whatnot. It also automatically blocks popups (you can choose to allow them at your discretion).

Firefox is in my sig; AdBlock is here.

http://adblock.mozdev.org

Edited by Tuxedo Jack, 09 August 2004 - 10:22 PM.

Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#6 Charlesvar

Charlesvar

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:34 AM

Hello Malleable,

I'm not making any recomendations whether to use IE or Firefox or anything else.

But if you want to stay with IE, here is info on SP2 and IE - and to the point - discuses blocking: http://www.windows-h...sp2-review.html

Regards - Charles

Edited by Charlesvar, 10 August 2004 - 08:35 AM.

#7 Charlesvar

Charlesvar

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:53 PM

Hello Malleable,

I'm resurectiong this thread because I'm curious if you've innstalled SP2 and having done so how the IE popup blocker is working for you.

I like it alot - it's also configurable on a per site basis.

At the test sites below, run the tests both w/ and w/o your regular blocker and in combo as well.

Sites to test tough popup modes, including javascipt types:

http://www.jasons-to...rowserSecurity/
http://www.popup-kil...w.com/test.htm#

Regards - Charles

#8 Seventeen

Seventeen

Ad hater

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:01 AM

www.popuptest.com is another good place to test pop-up blockers.

Edited by Seventeen, 25 September 2004 - 12:02 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button