• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 timborose

timborose

Tim

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:07 AM

Been away from IT world on hols and came back to find my lappie and three other PCs I help out with totally infested. Mine was just adware (btw to remove Winka.exe et al I just removed the program "Win Update" (good name eh?) and that plus an entry in registry did trick). However all the other three had two things in common.

1. Unable to connect to internet (one has a broadband connection but would not open IE, or any other browser).

2. All had bought & used Norton recently.

I know Norton stops one if it thinks you are infected but could not log onto Internet even after uninstalling Norton. Does anyone know of problems with Norton.

To fix in one case I had to format C: and re install XP, so this was pretty well screwed.

Ta in advance

#2 Ponte

Ponte

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:45 AM

Well I am certainly not the person to be trusted for advice since I have a problem myself, but in my experience Norton has been more of a hindrence than a help. It hogs my computer and comes up with stupid annoying pop-ups telling me of w32 stuff I have on my computer. I tried to configure it to delete stuff without asking me but it continues to come up with popups. I do know that it lets a lot of malicious programs through and then can't delete them. I'm quite frankly fed up of it as I find it over-rated. I'm going to have a try with kaspersky but I don't know if they will be any different.

Yet again though, wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to get back to you.

#3 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:38 AM

Does anyone know of problems with Norton.

To fix in one case I had to format C: and re install XP, so this was pretty well screwed.

Ah, Norton. The best way to force you into formatting a PC (insert bitter sarcastic laugh here). A rather unreliable antivirus and a huge system hog. I'm speaking from personal experience (hense the sarcasm). :techsupport:

Was it just Norton antivirus that was installed on these PCs or any of the Norton firewalls/utilities/system doctors (yeah, right) etc. as well? :scratchhead:
I am the iron anchor.

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

Norton is the biggest pain I've ever used (except for Windows in general). Try Grisoft's AVG, which is sleek, uses very little resources, and is permanently _free_. That's right. Updates and everything are free forever.

There's a link to it in my signature.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#5 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:07 AM

Norton is the biggest pain I've ever used (except for Windows in general). Try Grisoft's AVG, which is sleek, uses very little resources, and is permanently _free_. That's right. Updates and everything are free forever.

I agree

#6 timborose

timborose

Tim

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for replies
V impressive forum you have here

The whole 65 ($100+) Norton was installed including firewall. The latter was first to go as it appears to use the effective anti virus system of not letting one on the internet at all. I will install the Grisoft's AVG tonight (11:15am in UK at present). I am glad you mentioined resource hogging too as it stopped a 2.8 Pentium, gig of RAM PC in its tracks. That episode is not over yet and I may yet have to re install XP or as a minimum a clean copy of IE. It seems in the UK in the last three weeks there has been a big virus attack as three more contacts have called with Task Managers' full of Webrebate / Bargain type processes.

Thanks again for help.

Tim

#7 countryboy123

countryboy123

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:11 AM

Hello,
I'm another norton hater. I have been keeping my eyes open in the different forums and basically found that the newer it is the more untrusted it becomes. I believe it has to do something with the tracking stuff they have added in recent years or the way it does what "it" wants to do. You should be able to find
alternatives, and some of them are free.

If you decide to get rid of the norton software, go to the symantec forums and look up two free programs symcln.exe and Rnav2003.exe. After you unload it at the system applet you can clean up the left overs with them. (It did not help my reinstall.)It might be Rnav2004.exe now , I do not know.

I hope I helped.

#8 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:41 AM

Do these removal tools actually clean the leftovers? I remember I'd tried them with the Norton 2002 I used to have, and they didn't do much good then. :techsupport:

But maybe the latest versions have been improved... :scratchhead:

R. :wave:

Edited by rosso_acido, 21 August 2004 - 01:43 AM.

I am the iron anchor.

#9 countryboy123

countryboy123

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

Hello,
In a few words, "It helped." I do not remember all the details, but my system had slowed down at installation and stayed slow ,after I unistalled. I used one program to remove the antivirus and the other to get rid of the rest . I read some where old firewall remnants can cause problems with new firewalls.I figured I had nothing to lose. I also use a good payware registry cleaner on a regular basis.

I probably used the 30 day trial version of JV16 PowerTools or my Registry Mechanic. You might try Regseeker as a freeware alternative(Its still in beta,but other people recommend it). I just started using TweakNow Regcleaner (free), but its to soon to recommend.(I better quit typing before I stray off topic, more).

I hope I helped

#10 sun

sun

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:34 PM

:techsupport: yes..I too had problems with norton systemworks 2003....mainly using the norton ghost to copy my computer evey once in awhile to a partitioned "c" drive but ....for whatever reason the defrag program became corrupt when i decided to try it for the first time....then i uninstalled the program and my system restore would not work....so i did use symcln.exe and Rnav2003.exe to clean out the reg and things were fine and I got my system restore back. In the beginning I had a mega problem even registering the product and finally had to do it by phoning in....... :techsupport: :scratchhead: :!:

#11 timborose

timborose

Tim

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:02 AM

Well I amazed at the number of people looking at this post "wot I writ". Clearly Norton has/had problems. So if u r interested. Here's an update but be warned I am that most dangerous of creatures, the thinking sheep, or the "little knowledge = dangerous" type. I continue to be requested by chums to "fix" things that I am not qualified to do. I now advise that to be a home PC user one simply cannot say "Why, this is an outrage. Attacking my PC? I refuse to accept this. Tim fix it". You really have to read & learn yourself. The most surprising thing I find is that you need more than one of each program type. That is anti virus progs, Avast and AVG both seem good but find different things. Spybot & Ad Aware ditto. Reg Cleaner plus Hijack (sort of). Firewalls are worse still. You would think some company would join them all together. Maybe not possible. Whatever - you need 'em all AND should make financial contributions if u possibly can.
Yours sincerely
The one eyed man in blind persons kingdom

#12 Sodapop

Sodapop

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:17 PM

I agree that Norton hogs memory . I have never liked that anti-virus.

I have AVG and A2 free version installed.
Also like to do online scans at Trend-Micro and Panda.

My 1 cent. :huh:

Edited by Sodapop, 24 September 2004 - 07:19 PM.

#13 ubergeekee

ubergeekee

I like to help

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:26 AM

View Post

I am running NAV Pro 10.0.1.13 Do you think that I should remove NAV and install AVG? I recently installed AVG/ZA/SB/ADW/HJT on a mates pc (he had no av, spybusters or fw at the time) after I spent 2 hours cleaning and repairing his pc and because his box is a bit old (P-III, 733, 256 ram) I recommend AVG to reduce mem usage...hmmm, maybe I should take my own counsel and free up some of my mem.

Edited by ubergeekee, 01 October 2004 - 09:27 AM.

UberGK

Ghost the OS, back up the rest!

#14 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:37 AM

The online scan Panda's got is nice, but their auto-protect turns a computer into a piece of crap. It slows your processor to a crawl and makes even the smallest file take ages to load.

Edited by Tuxedo Jack, 03 October 2004 - 02:37 AM.

Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#15 zero_ice

zero_ice

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:46 AM

I agree that Norton hogs memory .  I have never liked that anti-virus.

I have AVG and A2 free version installed.
Also like to do online scans at Trend-Micro and Panda.

My 1 cent. :huh:

View Post

I too use the AVG pROGRAMS...nORTON IS WORKING ON A FIX IN THE 2005. But will it be better or worse?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button