Malware hijacking credit card etc info?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sho Geist

Sho Geist

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:14 AM

Recently I had my identity stolen and i'm not sure how it happened. Someone or something got a hold of my debit card information and used it to buy internet marketing software or something. I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with this type of thing. Also are there malicious programs out there that will record and transmit data offsite, like credit card info. etc, that you might type when you use your card online? And if so, how do you prevent this from happening and protect your computer.

Regards,

S

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

To answer your questions in order,
Yes, there are trojans that can, and do steal credit card information, and anything else stored on your computer.
If you have been infected with one of these, IMMEDIATELY change ALL passwords, credit/ debit cards, and any other personally identifiable information.

Tp prevent this, ensure that you have up to date antivirus software, and a good firewall, set up correctly.
This is the absolute minimum that you need.

Also make certain when using a credit/debit card on line, that you are on a secure site, and that it is a legitimate website.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
I also suggest that you delete any files from "temp", "tmp" folders. In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" => "Internet Options" => "Delete Files" and select the box that says "Delete All Offline Content" and click on "OK" twice. Also, empty the recycle bin by right clicking on it and selecting "Empty Recycle Bin". These steps should be done on a regular basis.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 Sho Geist

Sho Geist

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:09 PM

thanks for the help...i've taken all the steps you've recommended.....is there a site where you can read up on these programs that will steal your identity specifically what the names of the programs are and how they work etc?

Edited by Sho Geist, 06 August 2004 - 10:41 PM.

#4 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

Not that I know of, offhand. A google search might well turn up something helpful.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#5 pelham9

pelham9

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:56 AM

You didnt by any chance click on a link in an email when this happened?

#6 Misereor

Misereor

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:26 AM

I suggest you visit the FTC website on identity theft.
They have compiled some information on what to do if it happens to you.

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

Edited by Misereor, 26 August 2004 - 07:27 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button