Which freeware should I take up?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cesky.A

Cesky.A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:10 AM

This is my first post and I hope I'm not spamming.I'll like to have your opinions for this.I can't seem to decide what freeware to take up but these are the ones I know and have tried:
avast! Home Edition - works fine,consumes more resourcesMissed one trojan AntiVir found.
AVG Free Edition - using it currently when many people's talking about it.
AntiVir - Triblolite's test shows that AntiVir is the best among the freeware but I lost confidence in it since it missed two trojans avast! found.
Spyware Doctor - detect some things Spybot and Adaware failed to find but disadvantage is that it has no updates...
Spybot Search and Destroy,SpywareBlaster - fine with me but I'm either going to using this if you guys think Spyware Doctor is not that good.The other way round if Spyware Doctor is best.
Yahoo! Toolbar with Anti-Spy?- not certain
Mozilla Firefox - using it currently,no problems but any other browsers out there?
Anti-trojans - aČ Free,ewido or others?

I'm hoping you guys can tell me which ones are the best and will not affect performance and will not take up much disc space.
Many thanks

Edited by Cesky.A, 14 August 2004 - 02:55 AM.

#2 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:25 AM

Here are my suggestions:

Anti-Virus:
AVG Free Edition

Anti-Trojan:
AČ free

Anti-Spyware/Adware:
Ad-aware SE Personal
Spybot S&D 1.3
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

Toolbars:
Google Toolbar

Browser:
Mozilla Firefox or IE6 SP2

#3 Cesky.A

Cesky.A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:56 AM

Thank you,Jrshaw62.Very much apprieciated.But would like to have more suggestions.

#4 paperghost

paperghost

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

perfect process gives you insane amounts of information regarding the programs running in memory and actively looks for spyware running, giving you the option to kill the process. Do a google search for velociware.

Edited by paperghost, 14 August 2004 - 08:56 AM.

#5 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 11:33 AM

This is my first post and I hope I'm not spamming.I'll like to have your opinions for this.I can't seem to decide what freeware to take up but these are the ones I know and have tried:
avast! Home Edition - works fine,consumes more resourcesMissed one trojan AntiVir found.
AVG Free Edition - using it currently when many people's talking about it.
AntiVir - Triblolite's test shows that AntiVir is the best among the freeware but I lost confidence in it since it missed two trojans avast! found.
Spyware Doctor - detect some things Spybot and Adaware failed to find but disadvantage is that it has no updates...
Spybot Search and Destroy,SpywareBlaster - fine with me but I'm either going to using this if you guys think Spyware Doctor is not that good.The other way round if Spyware Doctor is best.
Yahoo! Toolbar with Anti-Spy?- not certain
Mozilla Firefox - using it currently,no problems but any other browsers out there?
Anti-trojans - aČ Free,ewido or others?

I'm hoping you guys can tell me which ones are the best and will not affect performance and will not take up much disc space.
Many thanks

Anti-virus: Tie between Avast! and Anti-vir. Avast! is more of a resource hog, but has more bells and whistles. Anti-vir has a far larger database, and is updated more frequently. I would use Anti-vir, with Avast! as a second opinion, because Avast! gets viruses that Anti-vir misses. AVG is the most lightweight, but has a very limited database. See my thread on best free a-v.

Anti-trojan: see my tread on freeware anti-trojan. Ewido is a good one, and so is A2 free, which requires registration.

Anti-spyware: Don't use Spyware Doctor!!! It might be OK, but I would stick with the big four.

Browser: Download.com : Browsers

Yahoo toolbar is like a freeware version of PestPatrol. I'm using it right now. I recommend it.

For some other opinions, see this thread. Also use the online scans in my signature; they might catch something that the free a-v's miss.

It's OK, my other thread is in the software forum.

#6 Cesky.A

Cesky.A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:33 PM

Gee,thanks alot,AntiSpywareFreak.

#7 _lueychun

_lueychun

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:10 PM

Basically, it is your choice as to what to use. For more informtaion regarding AV Software, go to Virus Bulletin

#8 Cesky.A

Cesky.A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 03:18 AM

By the way,have any of you guys heard of GuardBar?To me,it looks like some kind of ineffective/useless program...but thing is that it has some kinda spyware monitor that detects lots of tracking cookies and so on,even though my privacy setting is up to medium high.

#9 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 06:12 AM

This is my first time hearing about it but it seems legit on their homepage. IMO I would rather use the Yahoo toolbar which also have an Anti-spy feature. If you want to block tracking cookies I would suggest you getting CookieWall and putting your privacy settings in IE on high (set up individual websites to allow cookies).

CookieWall Information and Download

HTH

-J

#10 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 06:32 AM

By the way,have any of you guys heard of GuardBar?To me,it looks like some kind of ineffective/useless program...but thing is that it has some kinda spyware monitor that detects lots of tracking cookies and so on,even though my privacy setting is up to medium high.

I would just go to Internet Options>Privacy>Advanced>Overwrite Automatic Cookie Handling>Block Third Party Cookies and Prompt First Party Cookies( Who needs Third Party Cookies anyway :p )

#11 AntiSpam

AntiSpam

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:13 AM

I would suggest using AVG for real time protection and AntiVir PE for on demand scan only.For browsers,use Opera 7.54 and Yahoo! Toolbar with Anti-Spy for IE.The antispy application is good enough,together with Spybot and Adaware.If you don't want a backup scanner,try using some other online scanner like McAfee Freescan for detection only and Trend Micro's Housecall or F-Secure's Online Scanner.But still,I would recommend using AntiVir.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button