Norton will not perform a full scan?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike V

Mike V

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

Moderators, sorry for the cross post, I realized I put his in the wrong forum originally. Please feel free to delete either one you like.

I cannot get my Norton anti-virus software to scan anything other than the memory, It will not scan my main drive no matter what I try. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software with no luck also. I'm definately infected within my Outlook as a program keep trying to access my contacts.

Has anyone experienced the NAV thing before?

I've tried xSoft Spy, Ad-Aware, Trojan Hunter, SpyWare Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and CWS Shredder to get rid of this problem and none helped. Nothing shows up in my HijackThis log either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 WyoCowboy

WyoCowboy

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:29 PM

Haven't seen this particular symptom, but there are viruses that try to terminate or disable Norton and other AV s/w. The typical symptom is that the autoprotect icon does not appear in the system tray, and/or NAV will not open when you try to launch it. When you say "nothing" shows up in your HJT log, what exactly do you mean by that?

#3 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:22 AM

Mike V,

I would suggest you try some online virus scans and clean everything it detects (also write down any viruses or trojans for reference):

Panda Activescan
Bitdefender free online scan
Housecall's free online scan
Mcafee Free online scan

-J

#4 Mike V

Mike V

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:45 PM

WyoCowboy,

My HJT log shows no problems or "inconsistencies"

Jrshaw62,

I tried everything on your list except Mcafee which I will do right now. I'll report my findings back shortly...

Thanks to both of you

#5 toddvin

toddvin

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:19 PM

What version of NAV are you running? I have seen this in a few builds of the corporate product. Let me know and Ill see if I can find you a fix.

TV

#6 Mike V

Mike V

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

MaCafee did find 10 problems, which I corrected, but I am still having a problem.

toddvin -

My version of NAV is 8.00.9374

Thanks

#7 toddvin

toddvin

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:33 AM

That is what I thought. You have the very first build of the 8.0 Corporate client which is where I have seen this the most often. Your UI does say Symantec AntiVirus...right? Let me know if this is accurate and I will see if I can find a way to get you a more current build. The only way you are going to get this resolved is to either uninstall/reboot/reinstall the build you have (this may or may not work) install a more current build. This should definatly fix the problem

TV

#8 Mike V

Mike V

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

toddvin,

I have tried the uninstall -reboot- install route and it did not help.

FYI -I have the same version running on my laptop with no issues.

Thanks

#9 ratai

ratai

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:28 PM

i have exactly the same trouble but i know that i have a strange hijack who resist at all since two month... only cwsshredder and pestpatrol detect anything but they can't remove really and the hijack become.
to know if u are infected look on spywareblaster if after a session some protections are disabled (same with spybot) and if it occur the only solution will be to reinstall...
ratai

different name like cwsgooglEMS3 clientman etc... very dangerous for u :bounce:

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button