#1 irod

irod

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:58 PM

Dear SWI;
I just received the following:

"Dear valued eBay member:

We recently have determined that different computers have logged onto your eBay account, and multiple password failures were present before the logons. We now need you to re-confirm your account information to us. If this is not completed by August 30, 2004, we will be forced to suspend your account indefinitely, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner.

To confirm your eBay records click here:
http://cgi1.ebay. (blah blah my blah) com/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?UPdate

We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.
Thank you for your patience in this matter.
Trust and Safety Department
eBay Inc."

(There is a little more, but that should suffice.)

The trouble is, I *do not* have an eBay account. As far as I know, I've never even accessed the site. I don't conduct any $$$ on my home computer nor via the OE email address in question.
I did, however, give its address in accessing AVG to download its firewall a few minutes before getting the above alert. According to my records, I haven't given my email addy to anyone *else* recently, so the coincidence bears pondering.
Has anyone else seen this, or is it not an issue?

Respectfully,
irod

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:31 PM

It is very unlikely that Grisoft, the maker of AVG, would sell email addresses. Indeed AFAIR, their privacy policy specifies that addresses will not be sold/give/leased....... to third parties.

Without knowing you email address, ( DON'T post it!) I cannot be certain, but is it an address that could be guessed as probably existing, such as a fairly common name + number @ yourisp.com?

These spambots can send out hundreds of emails to random addresses, so it is not surprising that they actually do generate some hits!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 irod

irod

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:19 PM

Dave;
I fully agree about Grisoft. The coincidence I have in mind has to do with sophisticated 'harvesting' of passing emails. I know this happens; I just don't understand how.
More importantly, to me, I would like to know for a fact the alert did not come from eBay and/or have others received and identified it as a bogie. Do you know?
If it is a known bogie I will respond one way, if it isn't, then I should politely contact eBay for an explanation. I'm very much a newbie and I haven't done the 'tracert' thing yet. This might be a good time for me to learn the ropes.
I doubt my 'addy' would be intuited by spammers. I'm not even listed in the phone book, so a ran-gen on my name is unlikely.

Thanks for your response,
irod

#4 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like a scam. I know there have been eBay scams like this where the e-mail contains a link that appears to go to eBay, but it goes to another site.

Do you still have the e-mail?

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#5 marcloage

marcloage

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:24 PM

Ebay never ask you to confirm you details in an email.

#6 irod

irod

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:25 PM

LB;
I put it in my OE "Deleted Items" folder without actually opening it, then pasted contents into Notepad. The message did appear in the preview window but it remains marked "Unread".
If you agree that it probably is 'scam-gen' would you recommend I that go through the 'tracert' protocol and remit an abuse email to the ISP?

irod

#7 supernova

supernova

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:30 AM

If you still have the scam email handy you could forward it to ebay.

For the UK, the address is spoof@ebay.co.uk, not sure about other ebay's but should be easy enough to find out.

I realise you do not use ebay yourself but it would be worth sending as they try to track down whos been sending them and may cut down on some future scams, hopefully!!

#8 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:37 AM

That email sounds really fishy. :gasp: My vote would go for scam as well

#9 irod

irod

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Dave, Marc, Vashon, Supernova & Dawson;

I'll send a note off to eBay/US later today.

Supernova; What a coincidence! I used your avatar as my desktop wallpaper until last month when I changed to the JPEG, Saturn~5, PIA05383 from JPL. What are the odds?

Dawson; Now if you got *that* on eBay, I'd sign up and they can send all the spam they want.

irod
Ave atque vale
(Hail and farewell)

#10 uvi

uvi

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:08 AM

theres so many variances of these things floating around theres no point in asking if anybody has found your exact one. But the general lack of legalese and sophisticated mature speech pattern in that email should alone tell you some idiot in 10th grade made it up. Was it in plain text, no logos or anything at all? The ones that really get people are the professional ones obviously written by someone with an intellect greater than that of a high schooler. Too bad its still low enough to have to stoop to stealing to survive.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:12 AM

" Ebay never ask you to confirm you details in an email." Very true! I use ebay and they say in their policy they wont even ask for your email address in an email! If you ever get emails like this bounce them back not foward bounce! Then they think the email is invalid.........works great!
Come Visit my channel for new videos from me
Funny Videos From cowsgonemadd3
Prayer Changes!
-Austin Z

#12 marcloage

marcloage

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:29 PM

Exactly ive used ebay for a while and its never happened.

#13 wyseson

wyseson

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:53 PM

Ebay has an entire tutorial on spotting a spoof email. They are used to harvest your person info, getting passwords, SS number, credit cards.

http://pages.ebay.co.../spooftutorial/

#14 irod

irod

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

Thanks y'all;
I sent a note to eBay and they responded with a "thank you" and their Policy Statement concerning such matters, confirming that the email in question was bogus. They said they were aware of the problem and the the author appeared to have an offshore IP address.

Regards,
irod

#15 OZEE

OZEE

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:16 AM

EBay (and PayPal and Citibank) will NEVER contact you as "Dear User" -- if they're contacting you for real purposes, it'll be addressed to you by your registered name.

If you get one of these addressed to Dear User, it's ALWAYS a phishing scam. The address in the mail will look real, but look at the real address under the link. Nearly always, it's going to China.

If you get one, copy the header info and back into the message and forward it to spoof@ebay.com, spoof@paypal.com, emailspoof@citigroup.com (as appropriate) -- and spam@uce.gov.

#16 mcmx

mcmx

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:03 AM

www.auctionmonsters.com - eBay world users club

http://myshko1.account.net.ua russian
eBay club

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button