Photo

Does Reformatting remove spyare/viruses?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 garrits

garrits

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 05:22 PM

Hey I am having problems with spyware and have posted my log, but if this doesn't work, can I just reformat my harddrive and would that get rid of my spyware?

And to reformat my PC, which uses Windows XP, do I just set the CD-Rom to the primary drive in the BIOS, then install XP like I did as I did the first time a few months ago?

Would doing this erase everything on the harddrive? I am asking this because I reinstalled Windows XP, and it did nothing.

#2 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 05:29 PM

Yes, in most cases reformatting will remove viruses.

There are the odd rare ones that will infect flash bios and or other parts of the hardware and will reinfect upon format. Those are extremly rare, so In most cases yet, it will remove spyware/viruses.

To format read this http://www.bholcomb....ormatwinxp.html

#3 garrits

garrits

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 05:36 PM

Thanks a bunch. I was planning on reformatting sometime in the near future, and I guess now is as good of a time as any. Once I reformat, will the computer be just like it was when I first installed XP?

#4 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:07 PM

Yeah brand new. Hehe, if you format which you have to when reinstalling.

#5 garrits

garrits

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:10 PM

I reinstalled XP earlier when I was still in Windows and all the info, good and bad, was still there. Does that mean anything?

#6 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:25 PM

When installing did you choose to format NTFS (slow method not fast) ?

#7 Misereor

Misereor

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:17 AM

When you format a disk for a complete reinstall, as a rule of thumb, do a format /mbr instead of just a format.

This will rebuild your master boot record and remove any nasties residing there. A normal format will not.

#8 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:21 AM

As I said, the odds of having an MBR/FLash Bios/Hardware infecting virus are very rare. After viruses like melissa and chernobyl who got caught, most people are just making mass infectors that do little to know damage pay load wise.

#9 jerry4dos

jerry4dos

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:00 PM

Hi garrits:

You DO realize that reformatting will ERASE everything on the hard drive, don't you? -- Including your Windows XP, which you will have to reinstall from a CD. You do have the installation CD, don't you?

"FORMAT is not a repair tool."

Jerry

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button