12 replies to this topic

#1 black goku

black goku

Power Of The Saiyans

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hi
I have aol broadband which gives me access to a free mcafee firewall but have already got zonealarm. Which should I chose?

#2 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:36 AM

How do you connect? Is it going through a router? If so, chances are there's a built-in firewall. You can also keep a second firewall to monitor your applications.

That's the way I do it. The router on the firewall, and I use Kerio as a monitor. I like to see/know what an application is doing.

#3 black goku

black goku

Power Of The Saiyans

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:39 PM

No just cable. I am supplied by my provider a free download of McAfee personal firewall. Which should I use?

Edited by black goku, 08 September 2004 - 12:40 PM.

#4 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:42 PM

Might as well get Mcafee since its a subcription FW. I was getting tired of ZA so I switched to Mcafee (also had the free one year offer from comcast). Havent failed me yet.

-J

#5 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:06 PM

You should buy Zone Alarm Pro. There are reasons why ZoneAlarm Pro has won so many awards and commendation in the personal firewall software segment - it has a really easy to use and intuitive user interface - that allows users to set their preferences easily - without jeapordizing the security of their computer system. The ZoneAlarm firewall is itself , industry leading - it digitally fingerprints every program that is permitted access - so, even if a malicious program changes its name to an 'allowed' application - it will be blocked.

-Hydroponic Garden

I have DSL, never been hacked, never had any issues, period. I have Zone Alarm Pro version 5.1.011.000
Incens'd with indignation He stood Unterrified, and like a comet burn'd, That fires the length of Ophiucus huge In th' artic sky, and from his horrid hair Shakes pestilence and war.

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:39 PM

I purchased ZA Pro, installed it and found that I no longer had firewall protection... I attempted to contact ZA and found that they have some of the worst customer support/technical support in software and that is pretty bad... I eventually had to manually uninstall the program and download an update from the web to get it working again... I use Sygate now....
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:35 PM

I purchased ZA Pro, installed it and found that I no longer had firewall protection... I attempted to contact ZA and found that they have some of the worst customer support/technical support in software and that is pretty bad... I eventually had to manually uninstall the program and download an update from the web to get it working again... I use Sygate now....

I think that's probably bad luck, like I mentioned there are reasons why ZoneAlarm Pro has won so many awards and commendation in the personal firewall software segment - The ZoneAlarm firewall is itself , IS industry leading. I never had any problems with the customer/tech support, they seemed fine with me. Anyway, I've heard Sygate was good too so I guess it all works out. It all comes down to prefrence. And experience varies.... like my anti Spybot S&D.... I wouldn't be so anti about but I had to buy a new PC because of it, I probably could have fixed the issue, however I'm lazy... I'd rather buy something new ^-^

-Hydroponic Garden

Edited by Hydroponic Garden, 22 September 2004 - 05:38 AM.

Incens'd with indignation He stood Unterrified, and like a comet burn'd, That fires the length of Ophiucus huge In th' artic sky, and from his horrid hair Shakes pestilence and war.

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:46 PM

I seriously doubt that Spybot was the cause of your problem, but you can believe it is if you wish...

As for ZA Pro... The bad install was bad luck... The miserable service was company policy... I have had to deal with a lot of bad service over the years that I have worked with computers and this stood out in the top 3 of worst I have seen... It was pathetic and I will not recommend that anyone buy ZA Pro because of it... Use the free version, they don't claim to support that....
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:42 AM

Budfred, this is kind of fun it's like you're stalking me, or I'm stalking you...? anyway, you just can't accept MAYBE a product you like didn't work for me LOL..... it's actualy amazing.

-Hydroponic Garden

#10 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:50 AM

......one other thing, when you mentioned your problems with Zone Alarm Pro, I merely mentioned that it was bad luck for you and I mention my personal experience using the product. I didn't call you a liar or say it probably was something else or belittle your status as an "expert" and say, "Well, it's obvious you don't know much about this matter... blah blah blah", I believed it was probably the product... things happen. However, your ego prevents you from accepting MAYBE a product you like didn't work for me. You begin with attacks of me not being here very long, and you being here a long time suddenlly proclaims you as a god..................

-Hydroponic Garden

EDIT: It all comes down to prefrence. And experience varies.... expert, you should know that by now.

Edited by Hydroponic Garden, 22 September 2004 - 05:52 AM.

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:31 AM

You seem to filter out what you think I am saying and respond to that... I never said that ZA is a bad product... I said they have some of the worst customer/technical support that I have seen in any company that I have worked with... That is the problem... I recommend that people use the free version, but I advise against getting the Pro version since a lot of what you pay for is support and their support is pathetic...

My other point is that you come out of nowhere and start recommending a few decent programs from your personal experience, sprinkle in some really bad programs and a few dubious ones... You act like an expert and you haven't established the credentials to back it up... It is not simply a matter of personal opinion... when you have dozens of people who fight malware every day recommending certain products, you can be pretty sure those products are good... We don't have a commercial interest in promoting these products where most of the reviews that one can read do have an interest in advertising dollars from the products... We don't know you, so we have no way of knowing if you have a financial interest in the products you are promoting, but we do know what works from personal experience and testing...

You can continue to try to turn this into a personal thing and misinterpret what I am saying and impugn delusions of grandeur, but the truth is that you have not established credibility while the malware fighters in this forum have....
Budfred

#12 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:46 AM

Did you post your Spybot SD problem in the Spybot forum? Link is in my signature.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#13 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:52 AM

"As for ZA Pro... The bad install was bad luck... " next post: "I never said that ZA is a bad product..." Hmmm, did I miss something here?

"You act like an expert and you haven't established the credentials to back it up... It is not simply a matter of personal opinion... when you have dozens of people who fight malware every day recommending certain products, you can be pretty sure those products are good"

How do you figure I act like an expert.... I mentioned that I did not like SpyBot S&D, which got you over obsessive with me. Then, the icing on the cake was that toptenreview list I put out which another site claimed it was bogus, etc. Which I never claimed you were wrong and I was right I'm just very skeptical about getting advice from people telling me how to run my PC when my PC is running fine. I came to the forums for one reason, "INFO".... I like to see other peoples opinions, unlike you who belittles any person who doesn't agree with you..... forgetting that you don't know me, my friend.

-Hydroponic Garden

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button