• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mervzss

mervzss

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:39 PM

Do you guys have spyware reviews?
Like which spyware removal software will you recommend.

#2 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

None that we've written here. Generally we recommend Spybot S&D and/or Ad-aware for adware/hijacker problems. Of the free ones, those are the best and are as good or better than most of the non-free removers.

There is a detailed review of several removers here: http://www.adwarerep...ves/000050.html
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#3 Guest_b_*

Guest_b_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:50 AM

hello mike/admin/mods/etc , are you sure about that link ?

http://www.adwarerep...ves/000045.html

We receive a considerable amount of email challenging our claim that Spybot S&D has caused stability problems on our Windows XP test platform. Specifically, this program slowed Internet Explorer to a crawl, a problem we were able to fix by running another top spyware removal tool. A little research showed the other users weren't quite so lucky. From the looks of it, Spybot S&D has crashed more than a few PCs, some to the point where a complete re-install of the operating system was required.

And yet despite the frequency of these claims, nearly every report of Spybot S&D instability has been met with criticism, if not open hostility. Apparently, some people feel as strongly about Spybot S&D as others do to more traditional causes, such as religion or politics.

So while we do stand by our test results, we don't ask that you take us on our word. One reader asked that we produce a list of internet links to reports of Spybot S&D causing computer and operating system crashes.

The following quotes are just a few that can be found through a casual Google search, with links included. None of the websites referred to below are associated in any way with Gooroo or Adware Report.

amongst the other spybot review links is this one

We no longer recommend SpyBot S&D. Version 1.3 has too many stability problems and frankly seriously wrecked some of our clients computers. We have used/recommended SpyBot for many years, until 1.3 came out. It the problems are addressed, we would probably recommend it again.

http://www.spywarein...showtopic=15814 

another " casual Google search " link on that site
http://earthlink.com....html?pn=1&fb=2

"A good product gone bad" I have used SpyBot for a number of years. When this update became availabe, I quickly uninstalled the 1.2 and installed this one. I have run it three times and it has found the same 5 "DSO Exploits" and told me it removed them three times. I uninstalled and went back to the 1.2 which no longer has updates available and it removed the five files and found 4 more than 1.3 did not identify. I filed a bug report, but intill the product is fixed, stay with the 1.2, even with the outdated March updates or move onto a different program. Very disappointing as using Ad-Aware and Spybot has been my normal routine for a long time now. At this point, I have uninstalled Spybot completely since my 1.2 can't be updated any more.
"WARNING TO XP/ME USERS!!!!"
This is to warn all windows XP and ME owners NOT to use this new version. It tries to creat a system restore point when you first use it and then freezes up your computer!! You will then find that all your system restore points are screwed up and dont work. Only AFTER it tries to create a system restore point,and the program freezes, that a message comes up that says you can turn it off. This stinks!! The programmer shoot be SHOT for this terrible feature. They should spend more time trying to add more spyware detections then screwing up peoples good computers. And dont believe the bull they are doing this for FREE. LOL. And you must believe in the tooth fairy. Get real. This program has gone down the drain!!! And to believe CNET gave it five stars. What a joke. Guess CNET doesnt use XP or ME. So much for their credibility.

"beta software full of critical bugs- do not download"
I used 1.2 for quite a while (Together with Adaware) but will never reinstall 1.3 until the critical bugs have been fixed.This update installs something named "teatimer" which runs as a background process and freezes your entire system after 30 minutes running (happend on two of my three systems).There are also NO updates (for the definitions) for almost three months - so you run at high risk relying on Spybot.Malware that can seriously harm your system is released daily, so up-to date definitions are a MUST for this type of application.Spybots database is definitely outdated.It used to be a nice program, but with all the features not completely implemented this very much looks like a public-beta test.Serious bugs have not been addressed in 1.3(Spybot will break your internet connection when removing some spyware.I sent them a bug report explaining the issue but never got a response.In addition, this has been posted in their support forums by several users so they know about the problem), instead more features have been added (teatimer) which are not working as advertized.dont get me wrong, I donated for 1.2 (and know many who did),because I liked it and wanted to support the developement of the project.However, Spybot 1.3 should never have been publically released in its current state.

"DO NOT INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE!"
I’m a 25 year IT executive with a Fortune 500 company. I have never posted here before, but feel compelled to write. I and many of my staff have personally used Mr. Kolla’s SpyBot S&D since the day of its inceptions and have been a major supporter of this excellent program until now. Based on our evaluation of SpyBot S&D ver1.3–Final, I DO NOT recommend this software any longer, and it SHOULD NOT be installed or utilized. Further significant concerns have arisen as to the integrity of Mr. Kolla and his associates.

the link goes to download.com which says the following

CNET User Opinions
82%    18%    (913 votes)

spybot has it faults as does any program but how can one site who admit to only testing 25 secret spyware items

We’ve assembled a test PC with 25 different spyware files (“bait”). We then scan the test PC with each product and examine the log files

We feel that it is important not to disclose the exact files and spyware programs that we use so that spyware vendors can not simply update their products to defeat our test. By keeping our bait files a secret, the only way that vendors will be able to score better on our tests will be by improving the overall functionality of their products.

on one pc, be so biased against spybot and that link that implies that this forum doesnt recommend spybot is beyond the realms of decency as are the four horror story links from download.com when spybot has an 82% good rating from 900+ people

thanks for reading
bye

#4 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:48 PM

http://www.spywarewa...yware.htm#sites and http://spywarewarrio...opic.php?t=1154

AdwareRepost.com l site webmaster is affiliate for products reviewed (1)

#5 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:46 PM

None that we've written here. Generally we recommend Spybot S&D and/or Ad-aware for adware/hijacker problems. Of the free ones, those are the best and are as good or better than most of the non-free removers.

There is a detailed review of several removers here: http://www.adwarerep...ves/000050.html

Mike - seriously - before you recommend that site, I think you should read this thread on my forum:

http://www.spywarewa...ighlight=#11663

It will give you a great deal of insight to the owner of adwarereport.com. :blink:
Spyware Warrior
Microsoft MVP 2005-2009 Windows - Security

#6 DonP

DonP

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:30 PM

I use Spysweeper (paid subscription) at work and at home (free version) and I would recommend this to everyone. Its better than Ad=Aware and any of the others. You can TRY it for FREE (no updates) or buy it cheap. IT WORKS!!.

I have also used Spybot and think it needs a lot more work before I will try it again.

Thanks for listening

18 year IT expert

#7 DonP

DonP

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:35 PM

Do you guys have spyware reviews?
Like which spyware removal software will you recommend.

View Post

SpySweeper

www.webroot.com

Their FREE version is VERY GOOD and it comes off (uninstalls) in seconds. I have tried several others (like STOP SIGN) which turned out to be AD-WARE.

You can mess around with all the other junk out there, but at least TRY Spysweeper. It does miss a "few things" but its sure works better than most of the others. Be sure to clean your temp internet files and "cookies" before running it or you get a million hits on ad-ware. Its a GREAT product!!! (ps. I do NOT work or have any connections to Spysweeper, I am just a professional who cleans 5 to 10 PC's a DAY...likes a GOOD product.)

#8 Nytron

Nytron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:22 AM

Hello mervzss
As you can see from this thread, there are many varying opinions, and you will find that search engines often lead you to the worst stuff first. I feel that this is because the rogues and their affiliates have the $$ to make sure they are well placed in the the dominant search engines. I have developed my own opinions on who to trust and who not to, by doing a lot of my own research. Taking this route may be slower, but you will learn a lot. One of the articles that I reference regularly regarding spyware is a "living document", which can be found Here
In this forum, I look to the experts who are continuosly solving problems, and making reccomendations for prevention. Unfortunately in the Spyware business it seems that fear sells software. I hope this helps. :hmmm:

#9 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:51 AM

Nytron,

The page you linked to has a lot of good information and links; however, it also has Google ads, one of which is for an app listed on the rogue anti-spyware programs page.

The author of the page also lists credible review sites including
http://www.anti-spyw....com/index.html

which is clearly an affiliate for the products reviewed and included several of the rogue products.

http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm

Regards,

Suzi
Spyware Warrior

#10 Nytron

Nytron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:00 AM

:p Thank You Suzi
I did see the google ads, and thanks for making me aware of the rogue products :cool: . The main reason I use it is because it as you say there are a lot of good links for research, and it is updated. It is strictly a starting point for research. I would greatly appreciate a link to a similar resource article, that I can recommend to my friends, relatives, and clients. :cool:

#11 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:16 AM

I found this article which has good info, instructions and screenshots.

http://www.pcreview....rticle-7086.php

This site has excellent tutorials.

http://www.bleepingc...ums/forum6.html
Spyware Warrior

#12 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:59 PM

That's why I refuse to use Google ads at SWI. I'd never be able to filter out the crap. I don't think any of the antispyware people who advertise with Google are anyone I'd want to recommend anyway.

I'll refrain from mentioning that site again given what went on your site suzi.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#13 jandm

jandm

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:37 PM

I use Spysweeper (paid subscription)  at work and at home (free version) and I would recommend this to everyone. Its better than Ad=Aware and any of the others. You can TRY it for FREE (no updates) or buy it cheap. IT WORKS!!.

I have also used Spybot and think it needs a lot more work before I will try it again.

Thanks for listening

18 year IT expert

View Post

Your right, spy sweeper and even no adware are the best. I tryed search and destroy and it seems it just will not get everthing. the minute it says its been deleted...you can run it again and it's the same infections

#14 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:44 PM

NoAdware is rogue, too : http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:38 AM

I use AdAware and Spybot both. This seems to get rid of about 99.9% of problems. I also search specific filenames on Google.

----
Advertisement removed. cnm

Edited by cnm, 22 October 2004 - 02:14 PM.

#16 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:53 PM

Shubhangam - the link you posted goes here: (but you posted it incorrectly)
hxxp://hop.clickbank.net/?ebizindia/noadware

So you must be ebizindia - that's your Clickbank affiliate ID. The NoAdware product has already been disucssed in this thread. Please do not post your ads in this forum. :mad:

Spam post removed

Edited by dave38, 23 October 2004 - 03:51 AM.

Spyware Warrior

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button