Live Update in Norton Internet Security will not w

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 d_may

d_may

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

Hi, I need help, My Dell PC has the Symantic Norton Internet Security (OEM)
2004 version and when ever I click on the live update button it starts to scan
and then gives me a error number and will not complete. (fails) it's update. I have been going into the web site and getting the latest updates (intellengent updater for my latest dif. This seems to work.
The error number is LU1806 and LU1821. I have gone into the help and support section but I do not understand it very well. Novemeber8th the OEM 90 day version ends and I need to decide what to do then, pay money or go to a free AV.
your help is appreciated in advance. d_may

#2 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:20 PM

Have you tried finding it on the support pages of Symantec. An answer for LU1806 and LU1821. Unfortunately I don't use Internet Security, so apart from general help I cannot offer more, but this could help you along.

#3 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:46 AM

Get rid of Notron.... trust me, you'll never get that update (but if you do let me know it would shock me)

-Hydroponic Garden
Incens'd with indignation He stood Unterrified, and like a comet burn'd, That fires the length of Ophiucus huge In th' artic sky, and from his horrid hair Shakes pestilence and war.

#4 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:58 AM

It seems Symantec have released an update for users having the LU1821 error. See below:

Error: LU1821

To make sure you have this update, you must run LiveUpdate in Interactive mode and download only the update to LiveUpdate. (If you have not already obtained it.)

The page I linked above should give you all the steps to solve this problem. If the update dosent work, scroll down to the "What to do next" section and click the Posted Image icons. It will give you more steps to try.

Hope this helps!

-J

#5 WyoCowboy

WyoCowboy

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:51 AM

Another thing to check if LiveUpdate can't get to the server, and especially if you can't browse to www.symantec.com and its child URLs is look at the contents of your HOSTS file. A number of viruses and possibly some scumware variants will add entries in the HOSTS file that will keep you from getting to Symantec, often by redirecting such URLs to the loopback address of 127.0.0.1

#6 Crazicorn

Crazicorn

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:26 PM

Hi, I need help,  My Dell PC has the Symantic Norton Internet Security (OEM)
2004 version and when ever I click on the live update button it starts to scan
and then gives me a error number and will not complete.  (fails) it's update.  I have been going into the web site and getting the latest updates (intellengent updater for my latest dif.  This seems to work.
The error number is LU1806 and LU1821.  I have gone into the help and support section but I do not understand it very well.  Novemeber8th the OEM 90 day version ends and I need to decide what to do then, pay money or go to a free AV.
your help is appreciated in advance. d_may

View Post

Symantec has specific instructions for correcting this problem in their support section. It happens because your Live Update file has become corrupt. The fix does work, however, it doesn't prevent it from happening again. NIS 2005 doesn't appear to have this problem...at least not so far.

#7 TopperID

TopperID

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

Trying to deal with Symantec technical support can be a soul destroying experience - they are apalling!

I had exactly the same problem as you - 'Live Update' failed. It is inherently unstable and the cause of countless hours of frustration to numerous Norton users. The solution is to download a fresh copy of 'Live Update' from Symantec, but if that does not work (and with me it did not!) you must re-install the entire product. If you got Norton as a pre-installed prog on your computer when you bought it, the latter solution will not be available to you, and you would be well advised to do what I (and very many others) have done - namely ditch Norton and get a more reliable AV. Symantec simply do not deserve any more of your money!

I do concede that Norton is an effective AV, when it is working, and certainly has a better detection rate than things like AVG, but it is far from being the 'best'. If you want that I would recommend Kaspersky Personal 5 (though there are others to choose from). If yo want a good, competent, free AV to see you along for the moment, I recommend AntiVir.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button