Norton Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ckirby

ckirby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:45 PM

I posted this under SOFTWARE, but saw this topic and realized that it would be better suited here.

I have the 2002 version of Norton Anti-Virus installed on my computer and I have a yearly subscription. My subscription runs out at the end of the month and I don't know if I should just renew it or if I need to purchase a newer version. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:06 PM

Most people here don't like norton very much. :p If i had to choose between renewing and buying the new version, I would buy the new version; Unless I had the choice of just dumping Norton altogether and replacing it with a free one :cool: :

AVG is good, and it's free. Posted Image Virtually everyone here uses it, unless they're using non-free antiviruses
Link here.

Other free anti-viruses are AVPE and Avast! home.
With avast, you have to reregister every year, but it's still free! Posted Image

AVG is best for beginners, Avast! is more advanced. AVPE is ok, its only downside is that you can't quarantine.

More info. on Avast! here.

Edited by anti-spyware freak, 01 October 2004 - 02:07 PM.

#3 ckirby

ckirby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

i can absolutely dump it all together....i just want to be sure that I'm getting a good program. so, what is better....AVG or Avast!?

#4 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:50 PM

Some people (including myself) have reported problems with older versions of Symantec’s Norton antivirus failing to update with live update. Plus the newer versions of Symantec’s Norton antivirus integrates itself a little too deep into Windows for my liking. The ‘bloodhound’ naming system of Symantec is rather annoying as it has the potential of hindering research about a particular infection.

AVG and Avast work of for most viruses and worms, but they tend to miss quite a few infections as well. From my testing, their detection rate is below that of Symantec’s Norton antivirus. Additionally, AVG, Avast and to a lesser extent Norton, tend to ignore most Trojans (like CWS).

I prefer to use McAfee antivirus most. It is very good at detecting viruses and worms. Better than AVG, Avast or Norton. Although McAfee is not intended for Trojans, it is decent at detecting most Trojans and has a better Trojan detection rate than AVG, Avast or Norton. McAfee occasionally has difficulties cleaning or removing some infections. The only other problem I have encountered with McAfee is that it wants to almost constantly connect to the internet which can degrade system performance.

The best detection of both viral and Trojan infections that I have seen is from Kaspersky. Kaspersky detects viruses and worms about the same as McAfee, but has slightly better detection of Trojans than McAfee.

Edited by Trilobite, 01 October 2004 - 03:54 PM.

#5 KinG

KinG

Hmm...It's always raining...

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:56 PM

I agree with Trilobite, Kaspersky is very good, McAfee is definitley a memory hog (had an experience myself), and also consider NOD32. I'm currently it using over Kaspersky which I used to have.

#6 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:36 AM

I use AVG at home, Symantec Corporate (with definitions updated daily) at work, and ClamAV on my web/mailserver.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#7 jounin_hisame

jounin_hisame

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 05:12 PM

[FONT=Geneva] umm...i just joined these forums...and i got AVG after hearing what u had to say...i have the newest norton also..but what i wanted to ask is that AVG keeps saying it's detected a backdoor trojan...but it won't let me delete it or heal or anything except for "continue" i don't want to just leave it in my system..and what it's doing is it looks like it's installing/infecting a .dll file which then results in CWS hijacks on IE...i use firefox, so i'm not affected..but i'd rather keep my computer nice an clean anyways...and i delete the infected .dll using ad-aware/norton..but the trojan keeps creating a new one every nite..i dunno what to do..i'm kinda new to this stuff..i have to learn all these things by trial and error..so how can i be rid of this trojan? norton and ad-aware aren't picking it up on their scans either...the exact name for the trojan is Trojan horse BackDoor.Agent.BA

thanx for your help and time...i dunno if this is the rite place to post this though..so forgive me if i did something wrong...

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button