• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

Hello,
Congrats on such a useful site - I have been helped here before and have donated!!

Norton AV 2002 has just expired on my computer and about 30 min. or so after I bootup and logon to the WinXP OS I get a pop-up with options to renew now, renew later, remind me again in 1 day. Often I get creashed out of game for this unwelcome message!

It sounds like uninstalling is a pain and all I want to do is get rid of the pop-up. Is there a way to do that? Lately I have Norton turned off to save on memory while I'm playing games (I'm protected by a hardware firewall so Norton is not too crucial).

I have ad-aware and spybot, if that's relevant.

Is there a change to the registry I need to make or do I have to *gulp* uninstall?

Thanks,
Tab

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:44 PM

Well, adn outdated anti virus program is useless, and a hardware firewall will not protect you completely.
You have two three choices really.

1 Pay for the Norton update
2 uninstall Norton, and replace it
3 Tolerate the popups!

3 is not acceptable, 1 is expense (possibly unnecessary)

Why not uninstall Norton, and use a free alternative?
AVG Free Edition, from Grisoft. is effective, regularly updated, and well regarded by many on these forums.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 AntiSpam

AntiSpam

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:32 AM

I would recommend Ewido as a backup scanner for AVG since like waht someone said at this forum,AVG has like no trojans in its database...I would recommend AntiVir Personal Edition even thought it's features look uh Win95 style.

Off topic question
Is it possible to have a 256MB 266MHz RAM with a 128MB 266MHz RAM card together for one computer if there is one slot for the 128?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button