programs to keep computer safe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jshapp03

jshapp03

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:05 PM

can anyone tell me what to download to keep my computer safe. right now i just use zone alarm, is there any thing else or different i should use with it

#2 Rramjet

Rramjet

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:48 PM

can anyone tell me what to download to keep my computer safe. right now i just use zone alarm, is there any thing else or different i should use with it

View Post

You would be advised to download and run an anti-spyware program like SpyBot S&D. Probably pay to find a good registry cleaner too.
Move away from IE to (eg) Mozilla Firefox.
Other things you can do is run a the Defragmenter and Clean Disk.
Get a startup inspector so you can easily control what windows loads on startup.
Also a program like "What Process Is This" will help you pinpoint what services your computer is currently running- and sort out the essential from the malware.
"HijackThis" is another program you should think about utilising.
All these programs can be found easily on lots of download sites.
Just be aware that many free programs might actually download and install the very things you want to protect yourself against - so make sure you check the credentials of any program you download BEFORE you install. Forums like this are a good place to start. Utilise Google. Research heaps before any installation. Make a backup and restore point before any installation. Make sure you are familiar with recovery techniques before installation.

Enough for starters?

#3 jshapp03

jshapp03

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:20 PM

View Post

You would be advised to download and run an anti-spyware program like SpyBot S&D. Probably pay to find a good registry cleaner too.
Get a startup inspector so you can easily control what windows loads on startup.
Also a program like "What Process Is This" will help you pinpoint what services your computer is currently running- and sort out the essential from the malware.
Just be aware that many free programs might actually download and install the very things you want to protect yourself against - so make sure you check the credentials of any program you download BEFORE you install. Forums like this are a good place to start. Utilise Google. Research heaps before any installation. Make a backup and restore point before any installation. Make sure you are familiar with recovery techniques before installation.

Enough for starters?

View Post

yea iv already done all of that im talking about like what anti virus programs and firewalls to have running while using the internet

#4 jshapp03

jshapp03

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

View Post

Enough for starters?

View Post

yea iv already done all of that im talking about like what anti virus programs and firewalls to have running while using the internet

#5 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:31 PM

If you don't already have them, you need an antivirus that is updated, a good firewall for example Kerio Personal Firewall or ZoneLabs Zone Alarm and a spyware blocker like SpywareBlaster and also IE-Spyads. All of these have good free versions available... be very cautious about any security software that advertises in popups or other intrusive ways, they are not only usually useless, but also often have malware in them....
And don't forget Ad-aware SE and Spybot S+D.

Last, but not least, you need to keep Windows and Internet Explorer up to date by getting all the latest security patches that protects your computer.

This can be accessed by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and following the prompts. If you are running Windows XP get updated to SP-2

#6 jshapp03

jshapp03

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:02 PM

i had another question i forgot to ask..... every day i get a message saying scan for windows updates and when i scan the same update comes up everytime, i have installed that same update like 20 times now and i also tried click that remove button but that didnt work. (the update is a security update its real name is some number) how do i make that stop

#7 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 01:38 AM

Download HijackThis.
http://209.133.47.12.../HijackThis.exe
http://www.mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
http://downloads.net.../HijackThis.exe
http://www.computerc...s-file-328.html
http://www.downloads.../hijackthis.zip

Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder. Then, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and click "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that and copy and paste its contents in a new thread in Malware Removal.

That way we can see what is going on in your system, and this thread will stay on-topic.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button