firewall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 musicman

musicman

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:29 PM

I really feel that I need to set up a firewall. I've installed Win SP2 twice on my comp. - mainly for the firewall and popup protection - and it's screwed up my machine both times. I had to completely re-load XP. I now use Netscape, and have Norton AV, Spy Sweeper, and Spyware Blaster installed now.but I still feel that I need a firewall. What do you recommend?
Musicman :unsure:

#2 guamos

guamos

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:43 AM

[quote name='musicman' date='Oct 23 2004, 08:29 PM']
the best firewall to use is zone alarm..but dont forget do download the latest version of zone alarm..

#3 shame about jane

shame about jane

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:04 PM

Zone ALARM FREE VERSION 5.1.033 000 seems to be working very well since i downloaded it on friday last,easy to setup,install and good tutorial to take you through most things you need to know,it is auto configuring is recognised in the XP 2P2 Control Centre and monitores your anti-virus too,as i said easy to understand-which will not blow your mind- too much!,also nice easy presentation control panel.
Previous to that i had KERIO PERSONAL FIREWALL version 2.1.5 also excellent,you could see all the ports that were being listened and also much more info,that was a good firewall no problems and FREE too,good luck.

shame about jane :D

#4 musicman

musicman

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:11 PM

Well, I've downloaded & am running ZoneAlarm. So far so good. Hopefully it'll continue to run ok.] :unsure: Thanks for the info.
Musicman

#5 shame about jane

shame about jane

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:50 AM

Well,  I've downloaded & am running ZoneAlarm. So far so good. Hopefully it'll continue to run ok.] :unsure:  Thanks for the info.
Musicman

View Post

glad you are happy with ZA,pleased i could be of help :D

regards

shame about jane! :)

#6 robin850

robin850

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:13 PM

Sygate's personal firewall is free for non-business use. Work's great.

http://smb.sygate.co...pf_standard.htm

#7 JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:12 PM

Zone Alarm 5.5 has just been released.

#8 floored

floored

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:00 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but doesn't a router act as a firewall? Having had some issues with firewalls in the past (disrupting printers, faxes, etc...), I've been reluctant to install another. Whatever someone can teach me about this, I'd appreciate.

#9 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:23 PM

A router acts as a hardware firewall.

Personally, I use a router and disable software firewalls on my machines, since I check all the machines for crapware once a week, and my machine gets checked nightly.

If you're a new user or don't know what to do, use both software and hardware; if you're advanced, take your chances, but be able to monitor what your machines do.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#10 floored

floored

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:02 PM

A router acts as a hardware firewall.

Personally, I use a router and disable software firewalls on my machines, since I check all the machines for crapware once a week, and my machine gets checked nightly.

If you're a new user or don't know what to do, use both software and hardware; if you're advanced, take your chances, but be able to monitor what your machines do.

View Post

I wouldn't consider myself advanced by any means, but the software fiirewalls so far have caused me far too many problems to re-install any at this time. I've been loading up with lots of protection though (Ad-AwareSE, Spysweeper, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, CWShredder, HijackThis, Firefox) and doing lots of scans. I also seem to be quite sensitive to changes in how my computers are running, and watch my router lights for communications. (I believe you helped me last time I got bugged. Thanks again.)
In the software forum I've been trying to find out what else I may need, in case you have any other recommendations.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button