Getting rid of Ad-w-a-r-e.com trojan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue

darkblue

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:45 PM

Recently, i was infected with a bugger of a trojan that I could not remove even after multiple scans with Mcafees virus, firewall, ad-aware, hijackthis, and a couple of other programs.

The problem I had was that every five minutes or so, these popup ads would appear on my screen advertising for cars, personal dating, annoying smiley face downloads, and even one for spyware removal (which I found ironic)

A screen would pop up that was from ad-w-a-r-e.com and then it would transfer to some other site. Well I searched the web forever for a solution and after a couple of days of agony and almost going crazy I found the solution.

For those who are suffering like I did with constant pop-up ads from ad-w-a-r-e.com the situation's been resolved.

It turns out I'd been infected by 'Look2Me', the common name for the 'VX2.BetterInternet' trojan. Here are the steps I took (BREAK@MMX YOU ROCK HARDCORE!):

1. Internet Explorer > "Tools" Pulldown > "Internet Options..." > "Advanced" tab > Turn off all the 'Install On Demand' as well as 'Enable third party browser extensions'. That'll keep it from being downloaded in the first place.

2. http://downloads.sub...nder9x(126).exe > Run From Current Location. This will wipe it out if you do have it.

hope this helps everyone! Good luck! and thank me later!

#2 kungfukitten

kungfukitten

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:31 AM

[COLOR=red][COLOR=red]

Recently, i was infected with a bugger of a trojan that I could not remove even after multiple scans with Mcafees virus, firewall, ad-aware, hijackthis, and a couple of other programs. 

The problem I had was that every five minutes or so, these popup ads would appear on my screen advertising for cars, personal dating, annoying smiley face downloads, and even one for spyware removal (which I found ironic) 

A screen would pop up that was from ad-w-a-r-e.com and then it would transfer to some other site.  Well I searched the web forever for a solution and after a couple of days of agony and almost going crazy I found the solution. 

For those who are suffering like I did with constant pop-up ads from ad-w-a-r-e.com the situation's been resolved.

It turns out I'd been infected by 'Look2Me', the common name for the 'VX2.BetterInternet' trojan. Here are the steps I took (BREAK@MMX YOU ROCK HARDCORE!):

1. Internet Explorer > "Tools" Pulldown > "Internet Options..." > "Advanced" tab > Turn off all the 'Install On Demand' as well as 'Enable third party browser extensions'. That'll keep it from being downloaded in the first place.

2. http://downloads.sub...nder9x(126).exe > Run From Current Location. This will wipe it out if you do have it. 

hope this helps everyone!  Good luck!  and thank me later!

View Post

In step 2.) of your posting, the link only cleans Windows 9x systems. Do you know if there is a link for Windows XP available? If so, please pass it on. I sure could use it! Thanks!
KungFuKitten
Hear me know, believe me later...

#3 vladgd

vladgd

cws magnet

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:21 PM

yes please, is it winXP avalible? because it sounds just exacticly what i have.

#4 paperghost

paperghost

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:49 AM

This was actually solved as far back as September 17th:

http://forums.maddok...?showtopic=1260

and though there is a seperate XP VX2 standalone removal tool, you're better off downloading the VX2 Plugin for Ad-Aware as it has a higher hitrate for this problem:

http://www.lavasoftu...x2cleaner.shtml

Edited by paperghost, 17 November 2004 - 02:49 AM.

#5 vladgd

vladgd

cws magnet

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:01 PM

ok maby i dont have that problem, but what i got it seems every scanner i use does not catch it.

#6 WyoCowboy

WyoCowboy

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:20 AM

FYI, Spysweeper 3.5 with signature updates as of 12-17-04 get rid of the www.ad-w-a-r-e.com popups. You can download a trial version and update it once. Best to run the scan/removal in safe mode.

#7 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:48 AM

VX2 is a specific problem which is best addressed by the tools designed for it, which have been mentioned in this thread.
However, there is a new strain out with can only be removed manually, anyone experiencing this sort of problem

norton av detected "trojan horse", unable to fix/quarantine - message"access denied". File assoc. c/windows/system32/IdleUI.dll . Try to run norton scan..will not start. All scheduled tasks read "cannot start".Windows xp, freezes within 2 minutes. Restart, constant pop-ups, mostly ads offering to fix problem for fee. Run norton (online)full scan...2 files quarantined...one which was as above, /UI.dll

or similar should post a HiJackThis log in 'Malware Removal"
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button