• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gedda_g

gedda_g

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:24 AM

Hello all,
My company is shopping for a weather station setup for our website. Our Marketing VP LOVES WeatherBug and is pushing for it's use. I know that in the past WeatherBug has been labled as ad-/spyware but WeatherBug vehemently denies those accusasions and even sports an Aluria Spyware SAFE Cert. aswell as a Trust-e Cert. on their website(WeatherBug.com). Our company's reputation is very dependent on our trustworthiness and moral rectitude (whos isn't?) so we don't want to be invovled with anything that could jeopardize it.
Thanx for any input.

#2 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:20 PM

Weatherbug is definitely Adware, but I don't think any of the major applications consider it spyware anymore. You do have to choose a sponsor once a month, but it is not very intrusive after the first day. A completely adware/spyware free program called WeatherWatcher can be found at : http://www.singerscreations.com/
It is very good although it only updates hourly.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#3 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 03:00 AM

Another program is WeatherPulse

#4 Nirvana

Nirvana

In Bloom

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:01 AM

As far as I know the paid-for version of WeatherBug is ad Free.
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." Pablo Picasso

Please help to keep the forums alive with a small donation

#5 coachbb94

coachbb94

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:26 PM

Hello all,
My company is shopping for a weather station setup for our website. Our Marketing VP LOVES WeatherBug and is pushing for it's use. I know that in the past WeatherBug has been labled as ad-/spyware but WeatherBug vehemently denies those accusasions and even sports an Aluria Spyware SAFE Cert. aswell as a Trust-e Cert. on their website(WeatherBug.com). Our company's reputation is very dependent on our trustworthiness and moral rectitude (whos isn't?) so we don't want to be invovled with anything that could jeopardize it.
Thanx for any input.

DO NOT ALLOW WEATHERBUG TO BE USED. At a former job we had a user who was having problems with MS Word crashing. The tech discovered that Weatherbug had been installed. When the tech told the user he was removing Weatherbug the user went to their manager to prevent the tech from unintalling it because they liked it so much. The manager was told by the IT Manager either it was removed or the PC would be reimaged. As soon as Weatherbug was uninstalled, Word started working. We immediately made a policy that forbid the use of Weatherbug and it had broad management support.

When you remove Weatherbug a webpage appears that asks "why Weatherbug is being uninstalled". There are a series of reasons given one of which refers to "IT forbidding it's use". Enough said.

#6 gedda_g

gedda_g

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:17 PM

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately, our Maketing VP rail-roaded me and my supervisor and bought the WeatherBug system. He said we were just being paranoid. I'd rather be paranoid and wrong than be oblivious and get blind-sided.

A rep from WeatherBug and another facility that uses WeatherBug said that there is no need for our website's guests to download any WeatherBug software. Guests will be able to view the WeatherBug data from a page (the home page?) on our website. Undoubtedly somewhere along the line something will go wrong and I will come back to all of you for your sage advice so thanks in advance.

#7 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:29 PM

Yes, you can view Weatherbug data online - I have to maintain a server that transmits data to AWS about the weather at my workplace (a school).

If memory serves, it's at hxxp://www.aws.com. I use the Education section, but your bosses will use something different.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#8 JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:42 PM

Try the nice free program Weatherwatch

http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=175813

It requires .NET framework 1.1.

#9 weatherbugjay

weatherbugjay

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:52 AM

WEATHERBUG IS ABSOLUTELY NOT SPYWARE
FActs are simple, facts are true, facts don't do what I want them to- it's a line in a Talking Heads song.

so the facts are this:
Our formal spyware policy can be found at: http://www.weatherbu...faq_spyware.htm where you can find free downloads to what we believe are some of the most effective anti-spyware detection programs, as part of our commitment to end spyware.
NOW, unless we're masochists- we're not going to recommend to 21 million unique monthly users (yes, that's how many UNIQUE users we're now getting in 2005) to download the MAJOR spyware detectors if we had anything to do with spyware or adware.

For the record, spyware tracks web surfing activity and sometimes reads what is on the user’s hard drive. WeatherBug is not capable of tracking your overall web use or deciphering anything on your hard drive. PERIOD. END OF STORY. We serve NO pop ads in the version that's been out since June 2004, we don't even allow pop ads as a means for us to advertise on other sites, and we NEVER have served an ad based on user surfing habits (which is the standard definition of adware).

WeatherBug owns and operates the world’s largest network of weather stations and is one of the top 10 Internet properties in daily reach according to Media Metrix.

Our data is:
- viewed by over 80 million households a month, both on-line and off-line
- accessible to The Department of Homeland Security for live, real-time plume modeling and weather data, in the event of an attack on our country, as well as having weather stations at 15 Coast Guard stations, the US Naval Academy, Quantico Marine Base and USAF Academy
- used by dozens of city, county and state emergency managers in assessing the impact of current weather conditions on hazardous situations and natural disasters,
- in 8,000 schools across the US, helping teach math and science along with our WeatherBug curriculum which won a Smithsonian Laureate and was selected by Media & Methods Magazine as 2002’s “Education Technology of the Year,” and chosen by District Administration Magazine as a Top 100 product (2003);
- used by meteorologists at over 100 TV stations to bring “neighborhood” weather forecasts and conditions to communities every day.

so somehow if Dept. of HOmeland Sec., Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard, 8000 schools and 100 TV stations trust us and run our program (with none of the mysterious Word errors the one user reported- gee, maybe it had nothing to do with Wxbug since 21 million people use us each month without Word errors), maybe it's not what the rumor mill seems to think it is.

Please check out the facts....feel free to write me at jay@weatherbug.com with any questions.
Thanks, Jay Hoffman, WeatherBug customer support

#10 Drabdr

Drabdr

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

My interest in researching one of my subjects had me go look at Weatherbug more carefully.

I found a vast number of sites very similar to spywareinfoforum that classifies Weatherbug as adware enabling. Virtually all the sites I observed did not classify Weatherbug as spyware or spyware enabling.

However, the Weatherbug site denies any kind of adware enabling:

http://www.weatherbu...faq_spyware.htm

From the site:

...Nor is WeatherBug Adware— we are scrupulously careful about the inalienable rights of our consumer and business users, and adhere to the strictest standards that currently exist relating to informed consent and clear notice.

WeatherBug helps fight Spyware

With computer privacy a vital issue for so many people, we want to assure you that WeatherBug, in addition to being adware-free and spyware-free,...

Is Weatherbug to be trusted in regards to their defense of being adware-free?

Edited by Drabdr, 22 February 2010 - 10:00 PM.

Life is too short to remove the USB safely.

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,399 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

I am pretty sure no one accuses WeatherBug of being spyware... There has been some speculation that their ads support may open the door to malware... If they no longer include ads, that is a significant change from the past... However, since I will not use it, I haven't checked it out personally... I have seen a number of users complain about it over the years...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#12 NobleTruths

NobleTruths

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

I recall a recent fix on SWI where MBAM indentified and removed WeatherBug from the infected computer. Perhaps because of the ads issue, but MBAM definitely had a problem with WeatherBug being present.
NO AMOUNT OF ENLIGHTENMENT
CAN ALTER THE WAY THINGS ARE.
IT IS OUR PERCEPTIONS,
NOT THE WORLD ITSELF,
THAT MUST BE TRANSFORMED.

#13 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:56 AM

Most of this thread is four or five years old, and things change. If you think MBAM is wrong, post in their MalwareRemoval forum. Perhaps it's time to reassess Weatherbug.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#14 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

I've never really understood why someone would need an entire program to tell them the weather, when www.weather.com exists..

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#15 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

I like Weather Exchange. http://www.ambientwe....com/weex1.html
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#16 NobleTruths

NobleTruths

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

As long as this is now a hijacked weather posting :p , I like:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/
NO AMOUNT OF ENLIGHTENMENT
CAN ALTER THE WAY THINGS ARE.
IT IS OUR PERCEPTIONS,
NOT THE WORLD ITSELF,
THAT MUST BE TRANSFORMED.

#17 TakataSRSDriver

TakataSRSDriver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but it is still a question... lol in a manner of speaking.

I found new evidence today in an old box when moving some equipment.  It was an email printed out claiming that WeatherBug may have insecurities that are spyware enabling (circa 2006) but specifically only named that it refreshes so frequently that on a network with network based file access and internet access on a 100Mb/s network with 10G fiber backbones and hundreds of computers all of which could potentially start connecting to AWS network at any time, that it would be too taxing on the network.  Or at least the internet connection.

While the previous reply with the anecdotal MS Word issues caused by WeatherBug, it is pretty feasible that if they're editing files over a slow network, it could cause problems.  Microsoft is buggy like that ;-P

I don't know if that makes it ad-enabling, but I get tons of spam as it is. Green eggs and spam.

Spamity spam spam... 

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!