• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mikerinos

Mikerinos

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:29 AM

Hi all,
Every morning for the past year I had to start manually my Norton PF. Getting in touch with them is almost impossible, but I finally received a procedure to correct...that never worked. I never could make changes to the setting...because it requested the intervention of a SUPERVISOR....daaaaaa what's that...why
As for Norton AV, it never could fix a rarely detected virus.....daaaaaaa.
Uninstalling Norton's AV and PF is quite a task if at all possible.
So I'm trying Panda's promo (trial) AV and PF which is another story. On this trial offer you dont get a username nor a password needed to get the updates. So I cant get them....daaaa. And it keeps on telling me that my protection is dangerously low, while repeatedly requestind that I update....daaaa
Plus eversince Panda is intalled, when going on the net, or OE, or PP etc.. I get:
THIS PROGRAM HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL SHUT DOWN.

So any suggestions (to a nil) on a reliable anti virus and personal firewall before I simply drop everything off the 38th floor.. :rolleyes:

Ciao, TY

Edited by Mikerinos, 10 November 2004 - 07:34 AM.

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:56 AM

There are several free anti virus programs available.
My personal choice is AVG, from Grisoft. It is much easier on resources than Norton, and regularly updated. There are several others available for download, but AVG is the only one I have used.

For a personal firewall, there is Zone alarm, which is easy to install and configure, or Kerio, which need more tweaking to set up, but it's probably a little more effective than Zone alarm. Both of these are free for home users

Zone Alarm
url=http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html] Kerio Personal firewall.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:11 AM

Many of us prefer the older but excellent free Kerio 2.15 firewall to the newer more bloated 4.0. http://www.kerio.com...kpf2-en-win.exe
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#4 Mikerinos

Mikerinos

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:05 AM

Thanks Dave and cnm. I'll proceed with your suggestion.
So far another problem is on hand which does not allow me to continue with the new installaton. A new post will explain.

U HND

#5 macaroo

macaroo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:31 AM

I have had a lot of problems with Norton on my customer's machines. A couple of installations just would not install correctly even after following all the tech tips. Also as indicated in another post today, the uninstall of Norton will leave many of the files still on your machine. I have had to search out and manually delete these files. I usually re-install McAfee's VirusScan W/O a problem. I like ZoneAlarm for my FireWall.

#6 awuh0

awuh0

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:37 PM

too bad the Kerio horribly fails the leaktest....
at least it did when i tested it
http://grc.com/files/LeakTest.exe

#7 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:35 AM

The leaktest depends on your deliberately installing what is in effect a trojan. You wouldn't do that ordinarily. :(

Most firewalls, including KPF, don't protect you against something launching your browser and making contact that way. The firewall naturally lets your browser access the net.

There are a few firewalls that do protect against one program launching another. But I'll stick with KPF 2.15.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#8 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 02:00 PM

too bad the Kerio horribly fails the leaktest....
at least it did when i tested it
http://grc.com/files/LeakTest.exe

View Post

Huh? kerio fails most leak tests, but the original steve gibson leak test is not one of them. That merely, renames the file name to iexplore.exe a trust app, but kerio 2 has md5 hashing so it won't be fooled.

Your setup is faulty . I suspect a loopback problem.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button