sincere business partner, I got your contact from the
internet and I ask if you can be trusted not to break
an agreement? Still, it took me time to make up my
mind to contact you and to offer you this proposal of
mine of which my whole life depends on.

Dear, my name is PAUL E .CAMARA the son of one
business man from Sierra Leone, late MR. TIMOTHY
CAMARA, I am 22 years old and presently residing in
DAKAR-SENEGAL in West Africa under political asylum.

My mother happens to be a nurse whom the late CAMARA
had an affair with during his life style as a play
boy, and the affair resulted to my birth, but it was
unfortunate that the late CAMARA did not marry my
mother legally and as a kind of settlement, for my
mother and I, my mother ANTOINETTE deposited the sum
of seven million five Hundred thousand USD cash ($ 7.5
million us dollars cash) for my life inheritance. My
mother stashed these sum of money and deposited it in
a Bank and my name appears as the next of kin.

After my father was killed by his body guard earlier
last two year 2002, and my mother died also earlier
last year just two months after my father's death, and
at the age of 22 years old, I am left with this huge
sum of money, and I need a partner who will help me
transfer this money to his account for immediate
investment as I have made up my mind to invest in your
country.

Your compensation for your immediate assistance is 5%
of the total money as soon as it arrives your country
while 2% will be for any local and international
expences that will occure during the transfer.

I will like truth and honesty to be our watchword in
this business.
Yours sincerely,
Paul Etienne Camara.

Edited by jedi, 14 November 2004 - 01:49 PM.

jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#2 Lekonua

Lekonua

Robot Overlord

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:10 PM

I wouldn't believe it.

Consider the following:
He says he got your name from the internet.
did you even list your name anywhere ON the internet?

Edited by Lekonua, 14 November 2004 - 02:10 PM.

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:37 PM

This is yet another variation in a very old online scam... A lot of people have been gullible enough to lose large sums of money on this one... Recently I read a story about someone who scammed the scammer back and got something like $57 from him/her.... :lol: :lol:
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:56 PM

This is yet another variation in a very old online scam... A lot of people have been gullible enough to lose large sums of money on this one... Recently I read a story about someone who scammed the scammer back and got something like $57 from him/her.... :lol:  :lol:

View Post

As the old saying goes... There's a sucker born every minute.

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#5 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:43 PM

My Mum didn't raise any stupid kids, so I wasn't about to fall for it, but 10 out of 10 for creativity to the guy.
And for balls as well, considering his e-mail address is paul camara [paul573338@yahoo.co.uk]
yet he is saying this

I am 22 years old and presently residing in
DAKAR-SENEGAL in West Africa under political asylum.

I looked on my road map of the U.K. and I couldn't find West Africa anywhere!!!!

And while my name isn't exactly splashed across the web, I'm not 100% anonymous either, I've applied for insurance quotes etc, who knows who sells on details, and to whom?
I did e-mail him back though, and if he is West African (if!!) he now knows a few more basic anglo-saxon words!
:D
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:44 PM

I did e-mail him back though, and if he is West African (if!!) he now knows a few more basic anglo-saxon words!

I hope you used a disposable email account because you just added yourself to a few dozen more choice SPAM lists..... :gasp: :p :gasp:
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:05 PM

Budfred, as I said

My Mum didn't raise any stupid kids

I used a defunct 'yahoo' account that's already been spammed to death. Well, at least I guess it has, I never bothered opening the 50 or so 'wicked screensaver' and 'I love you' e-mail attachments.

My new one's fairly anonymous. However, you have it.Posted Image

But I trust you!
jedi

#8 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:41 AM

That's of course a scam. They start asking for money to execute the transaction whatever costs that maybe and they keep on doing this until you get suspicious.
Keep in mind that almost any spam email is a scam.
Spend your money in real life, NEVER on the internet because you deal always with people you don't know and you know nothing about these deals.
Fraud is everywhere on the internet, because internet is a very good tool to cheat people world-wide.

Also never unsubscribe a spam email, because by unsubscribing you confirm to the sender that your email-address is VALID and the sender will sell your valid email-address to other spammers and you will receive even more emails in your inbox.

ErikAlbert

Edited by ErikAlbert, 17 November 2004 - 09:01 AM.

ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#9 Bjerrk

Bjerrk

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:06 AM

Hey folks

Isn't this what they call "the Nigerian offer"?

-Bjerrk

#10 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:44 AM

Yes, it looks like one of the many variants of "the Nigerian Offer".
I wished I had more time to amuse myself with these scammers, but I prefer to use my time to warn people.
In my opinion this kind of fraud isn't very smart and doesn't need a warning, because you must be very credulous to believe all these fairy tales.

In spite of millions websites that try to warn people about all kinds of fraud, people are still get caught in those traps.
The fact that these emails are still on the internet proves that they still make enough victims.

I'm a member of a free lotto forum and in the beginning we had a list of 150 free lottos and at the end we had a list of lesser than 20 free lottos that could be trusted and actually paid their winners.
I'm still a member, but I got bored, because our work was done. We know all the good free lottos and we just watch the new free lottos.
Free lottos infect your computer also with malware. So it wasn't a big step to join SWI forum LOL.

If internet users would spend just enough time to surf on the internet to get informed about these frauds, scammers wouldn't have a chance to make so many victims and what doesn't work anymore disappears automatically.
ErikAlbert

Edited by ErikAlbert, 27 November 2004 - 09:52 AM.

ErikAlbert

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:06 AM

There was recently a piece about these scams on my local news and they talked about millions of dollars being scammed by this obviously nonsensical con... Even though it is transparent to anyone with a mild touch of skepticism, it is apparently quite believable to a large number of people out there...

They also talked about "black money" in which the scammer actually meets with the victim and shows a small amount of the untold wealth that the scammer claims to have smuggled out of the country... It appears to be black pieces of paper until they use a "special cleaner" to remove the mysterious black coating to reveal legitimate money... They hit the victim up for money to buy the extremely rare and expensive ingredients for the cleaner... The reality is that the reason that the money is black is that it is treated with iodine and the cleaner is standard household cleaner that can be purchased quite cheaply at the local supermarket... People who are already caught up on the scam get even more careless with this treated money in their hands...

Education is the key, but there will always be some that don't get it and get screwed...
Budfred

#12 LostAccount

LostAccount

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:08 AM

There's this nice site about fooling the Nigerian Scammers back.
Link

Edited by LostAccount, 27 November 2004 - 10:09 AM.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><b>Useful Software</b>:</span>
<a href='https://www.kaspersky.com'target='_blank'><i>Kaspersky</i></a>, <a href='https://housecall.trendmicro.com/' target='_blank'>Housecall <i>Trendmicro</i></a>, <a href='https://www.emsisoft.com' target='_blank'><i>a2 free edition</i></a>, <a href='https://www.kerio.com' target='_blank'><i>Kerio Personal Firewall</i></a>, <a href='https://www.lavasoftusa.com' target='_blank'><i>Ad-aware SE</i></a>, <a href='https://security.kolla.de' target='_blank'><i>Spybot S&D</i></a>, <a href='https://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip' target='_blank'><i>HJT</i></a>, <a href='https://www.cwshredder.net' target='_blank'><i>CWShredder</i></a>, <a href='https://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm' target='_blank'><i>MVPS HOSTS file by WinHelp2002</i></a>, <a href='https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm' target='_blank'><i>IE-SPYAD by eburger68</i></a>, <a href='https://www.javacoolsoftware.com/' target='_blank'><i>Spywareguard and Spywareblaster</i></a>, <a href='https://www.winpatrol.com' target='_blank'><i>Winpatrol</i></a>, <a href='https://www.mozilla.org' target='_blank'><i>Mozilla & Firefox</i></a>

#13 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:31 PM

This is yet another variation in a very old online scam... A lot of people have been gullible enough to lose large sums of money on this one... Recently I read a story about someone who scammed the scammer back and got something like $57 from him/her.... :lol:  :lol:

View Post

That is great, now if everyone was to do that, this type of thing may just become less common.
Member of ASAP

#14 helperatwork

helperatwork

The SWI Penguin!

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:43 AM

Heres one more piece of Scam and that cost us money, a good amount to say.

Theres a woman who I wont mention, but she mailed my dad saying that he is cursed by a near one and she could help him to kill the curse. Then, she said I can help you earn millions if you do this and do that. She was offering her powers to my dad ^_^ in shapes of pendants, bracelets etc. She also said that she will bring lottery winnings your way. And guess what, one day, we received a mail from Australian lotto service saying you have won one hundred and twenty million dollars and we said woh! could that be really true. We were asked to pay 37 dollars for shipment. Guess what, we did :blink: . The next mail came from the same service saying that you finally are in the final draw and some 150 dollars were required to proceed to final round. On other hand, we were being convinced by the woman from France, yeah France, did I forget to mention it earlier, see the link France --> Australia, there is no way one could have believed that the woman talking to us from France can be linked to an Australian lotto company. We kept on paying until like my dad had paid in thousands, and we still wanted to play further in draw, man, that draw was never ending, and we kept proceeding to Final Rounds LOL!
It continued until one day, me and my brother had a severe accident. That was when we delayed the shipment fees to Australian Lotto. My Mom being superstitious thought that that was done by the same woman, but then we finally came to the hypothesis that in our religion, its not allowed, and that we can not continue with it. We thought that believing this woman caused us the accident and not her, so we withdrew from sending further money and guess what, the lotto mails stopped coming. They didnt give us much, but took enough to be called a jackpot for them :p.
Please help keep the forums free ===> More info Here

The wisest mind has something yet to learn

#15 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:26 AM

There's this nice site about fooling the Nigerian Scammers back.
Link

View Post

I love that one too. :D

Google finds lots of other "Scam the scammers" http://www.google.co...:en-US:official
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#16 jedi

jedi

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:30 PM

Curses, I wish I'd known about these 'spam the spammers' sites when I got this, it would have been infinately more satisfying than swearing at the guy.
Oh well, I'll keep an eye on my compromised e-mail account and see if I can have some fun with the next lowlife that tries something like this.
If I get a likely candidate I'll post a blow by blow account!
jedi

#17 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:11 PM

jedi,
For awhile it crossed my mind too having some fun with these lowlifes.

My conclusion was that internet users are the REAL problem and not the scammers/spammers.
As long too many internet users reply at these scam/spam-emails, the spammers will continue.
If ALL internet users would ignore these emails, the scammers/spammers would disappear automatically.

It's a very simple solution : no waste of time, no effort at all, very easy, very effective and last but not least alot of very angry scammers and spammers, because their profit is gone.
So I tell everybody to ignore spam-emails and those who don't listen deserve to be scammed.

I wished I had the same kind of solution for malware, but that problem is alot more complicated.
ErikAlbert

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button