• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sirkickabutt

sirkickabutt

Fight the authority!

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 01:41 PM

Just wondering if you guys have had any experience with this, I just want to know if the antivirus included is any good or should I run AVG aswell. TIA :)
<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>SirK, If olive oil comes from squeezing olives where does baby oil come from?!</span>

Posted Image

#2 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 03:10 PM

sirkickabutt,
None of the existing AV-softwares is perfect because they all have a different and incomplete Virus Definition Database.
The AV-scanner of ZoneAlarm is probably good but has the same problems.
The more good AV-scanners you have, the better.

That's why most members have more than one AV-scanner.
If you don't believe me look at the signatures of the members.

If I was you I would keep AVG on your computer, which is a very good one.

I agree with you that running all these scanners is a time-consuming job but that's the way it is. I hate that job and I'm not the only one.

ErikAlbert

Edited by ErikAlbert, 26 November 2004 - 03:44 PM.

ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#3 Mr Bob

Mr Bob

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:31 PM

I heard that it isn't good to have more than one AV on your computer though....

When I had two running, my system slowed down to a crawl.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:21 PM

It is not a good idea at all to run 2 AV programs at one time... They will conflict with each other and probably actually be less protective... If you want to have a backup AV installed on your computer, you can do that, but only turn it on if you have turned the main one off... The fact that a lot of people have more than one AV in their signatures is a reflection of offering a choice more than it is running those two... I run NOD32, but I have AVG in my sig along with 2 online scans because they are free... I only have one AV on my main system...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:26 PM

Mr Bob,
Sorry but the fact that most members are running more than one AV-scanners
proves that is possible without slowing down your computer. Otherwise more members would have posted about this problem.
I run also different AV-scanners and never had that kind of problem.

So I assume that your computer became slow by something else.
ErikAlbert
ErikAlbert

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:34 PM

As I already said, the fact that there are sigs with more than one AV does not mean that "most members" are running more than one... As I said, this is generally a recipe for disaster and it is NOT recommended... If ErikAlbert is able to run two of them without difficulty, that is more luck than anything... It is not a good idea at all....
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#7 TopperID

TopperID

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:07 PM

ZoneAlarm Security Suite AV is provided by another company (CA), though the updates come through ZA's server. It is a middle ranking AV in terms of its capacity to intercept malware, not especially bad and not top of the range either. The latest version of AVG is likely to be just as good in terms of the protection it offers.

It is NOT an option to run two AVs resident simultaneously, it is asking for disaster, they will fight each other if a virus comes along and it will sneak past the pair of them! Some AVs, eg. KAV and AntiVir, can cause serious problems if you attempt to run them with competing AVs; but it is bad whatever combination you choose.

You can, however, have a second AV as a backup scanner, so long as you do not attempt to have it in the system tray together with your regular AV.

You can also run an AT and AS resident with your AV because they are functioning on 'another level', hence no conflict.

#8 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:17 AM

ErikAlbert yields to the majority and uses only ONE AV-scanner until he dies :-)
ErikAlbert

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button