Photo

Virus on machine, how to download AV tool?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 auctionhugh

auctionhugh

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:28 AM

So my day job is a systems analyst for a small ($30m sales) corporation. One of the VPs brought in his kid's computer and asked me to clean it up. Looking in MSConfig it is pretty obvious that there are viruses on it that are active, and it shows the signs as well (runs very slowly).

There is an old version of NAV 2002 on there with signatures out of date by about 6 months.

Since I am relatively sure it is infected with one or more viruses, I won't hook it up to the network to do an online virus scan or download and install a free virus scan.

I could install a newer version of Norton since we have several licenses sitting around here, (We are NAV enterprise level here with 100 licenses) but this would surely have very outdated virus signatures. Plus I prefer to give him a free program that would not be our company's responsibility.

I have a large USB key that can hold up to 512 megs of programs, etc, but I'm not aware of an easy way to get a virus program AND the newest signatures onto it to install (such as Grisoft AVG).

Any suggestions on the best way to do a virus scan on a computer not hooked up to the internet?

#2 auctionhugh

auctionhugh

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:28 AM

Bump! Help me please?

#3 Mr Bob

Mr Bob

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 02:38 PM

I'm not an expert at all, but why don't you install NAV via a cd (not network) then uninstall it once the viruses are gone.

Then install a few freebies for him...

#4 auctionhugh

auctionhugh

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:03 PM

Good thought, but all the CDs have way outdated virus definitions on them. Though this would definitely be better than nothing!

I'm not an expert at all, but why don't you install NAV via a cd (not network) then uninstall it once the viruses are gone.

Then install a few freebies for him...

View Post

#5 payo

payo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:24 PM

I'm not an expert either, but I had the same problem because my NAV account expired, so I downloaded a free AV software program, after searching for best free downloadable AVs on the web. The search sent me to this 2 programs, AVG free edition from http://free.grisoft....1/lng/us/tpl/v5, and AVAST 4 Home free edition fromhttp://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html. I've tried the last one and is pretty good.
Hopeyou find this information could help you

#6 Mr Bob

Mr Bob

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:32 PM

There is no way you can download the virus definitions from Norton without using the LiveUpdate?

#7 wannus

wannus

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 04:22 PM

There is no way you can download the virus definitions from Norton without using the LiveUpdate?

View Post

I believe you can download the .dat files from symantec's website and update the definition files manually.

Another freebie tool is grabbing McAfee's Avert Stinger. McAfee usually releases the latest so you don't have to grab an update for it. It won't catch 'em all, but it will find most.

Just make sure you go into Safe Mode and run the scan without the network cord plugged in. If there's more than one Windows profile, I recommend running an AV scan on all profiles with the Avert stinger.

If you're using Norton, you should just have to run it once. Same thing with grisoft.

#8 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

If the Stinger does not remove your problem, AVG could be downloaded on another machine, and copied across with the updated definition files using a CD-R.
If using this method, it will be necessary to download the update separately, and update the program after installation.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#9 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

And if worse comes to worse, update the definitions to bleeding-edge on another machine, then pull that one off the LAN.

Pull the hard drive from the hellspawn-infested machine and put it into the clean machine, then boot to Safe Mode on the clean machine and scan all drives. Drop the installer for AVG and the .bin definition files onto the contaminated drive after you're done. Send Ad-Aware SE and the definition files, too - it can't hurt.

Put the drive back. Install AVG and AAWSE. Scan, clean, repeat in Safe Mode.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#10 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 03:14 AM

And just to clear something up - you can get the latest definition files for Norton here. Just select your flavor and off you go.

http://securityrespo...s.download.html
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#11 auctionhugh

auctionhugh

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:42 PM

Very Helpful, thanks everyone!

----
Professional Web Design by AuctionHugh's Wife Kathleen
Artistic - Straightforward - EASY for You!
Examples and Pricing at Kallen Web Design
Posted Image

And just to clear something up - you can get the latest definition files for Norton here. Just select your flavor and off you go.

http://securityrespo...s.download.html

View Post

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button