• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scotsman1228

scotsman1228

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

:blink: Is yahoo's web beacons spyware?

In the recent infopackets newsletter, there was an article about them.

Infopackets did not seem to be too concerned. I am, however, always wary about matters such as this.

I am a member of a number of yahoo groups and believe that web beacons are set there.

#2 cwohardy

cwohardy

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 05:15 AM

scotsman1228,

This from Yahoo's privacy page

# Information recorded through these web beacons is used to report aggregate information about Yahoo! users to our partners. This aggregate information may include demographic and usage information. No personally identifiable information about you is shared with partners from this research.
# When conducting research Yahoo!'s practice is to require our partners to disclose the presence of these web beacons on their pages in their privacy policies and state what choices are available to users regarding the collection and use of this information. You may choose to opt-out of Yahoo! using this information for this research. Please click here to opt-out.

Note: This opt-out applies to a specific browser rather than a specific user. Therefore you will have to opt-out separately from each computer or browser that you use.

Rest of policy HERE

I would suggest you at least use their "opt-out" option on that page.

Here is the link from spywareinfo on info regarding these bugs HERE

It is my humble opinion that any object that has been purposely hidden for the direct purpose of gathering information about you should be considered "spyware", however Yahoo does state their use in their privacy policy and an option to opt out although when you click on this clink (if you are logged in) all you get is this

You have opted out successfully.

If you would like to cancel your opt-out request,
you may do so by clicking the button below

Not the most reassuring statement!
SHERRY LYNN
LIFE MOVES PRETTY FAST. IF YOU DONT SLOWN DOWN, YOU JUST MIGHT MISS SOMETHING
www.sherrylynn.us

#3 Moore

Moore

¤ §LÁYER ¤

• Pip
  • 55 posts