Zone Alarm Pro 5 conflicts???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sun

sun

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:04 PM

I thought I posted this but I can't find it .
I am looking at buying this program, however, I have been told that it has problems with compatability.
I was told that it is not compatible with norton ani-virus, microsoft word..

I know that there are a lot of experienced people here and I would appreciate comments before I purchase.
Thankyou,

#2 sandy

sandy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:38 AM

I have not heard of this - where did read about it? Which versions of Norton? I use Zone Alarm 4.5 and it runs perfectly with Microsoft Office. Zone Alarm has proved to be an excellent program.
You can get an evaluation copy of Zone Alarm from their site so why not try it first to check for conflicts. We have had problems of programs conflicting with Symantec corp v9 and so went back to v8. So you might be correct about conflicts with Zone Alarm version 5 but Zone Alarm 4.5 was not a problem for us.

#3 sun

sun

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:33 PM

I was told this by a student that is completing his M$ technician certification course and as well from a respected sales consultant that carries McAffee, Symantec, and Zone Alarm 5.

Comments?

#4 sun

sun

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

I find this Zone Alarm Pro 5 an extremely cumbersome program and it certainly does slow my computer down in opening programs.
My computer is xp, 512, mobile processor, pentium 4, defragged and with plenty of updated and scanner security programs that show no bugs, viruses.
I am really thinking about trashing the program. Comments

#5 JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:28 PM

Earlier versions 5 releases had problems. The current version 5.5. has fewer. You can check out the ZA forums at
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

#6 TJ.

TJ.

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

I find this Zone Alarm Pro 5 an extremely cumbersome program and it certainly does slow my computer down in opening programs.
My computer is xp, 512, mobile processor, pentium 4, defragged and with plenty of updated and scanner security programs that show no bugs, viruses.
I am really thinking about trashing the program.  Comments

View Post

Sun, smile
I bought the Zone package 3 weeks back and after one week got a refund, for many of the reason you have stated. I am now using Kerio older free version. I also had dumped the full Norton's package prior to buying Zone Alarm.. I find these companies use up half my bandwidth reporting back to there home office, I am not talking about updates either... I do use Firefox and Thunderbird and have 5 spy programs with AVG virus...As a non-computer geek I will state I have had 100% more problems with Wondow or XP than any bugs out there in the wild.

Caution, as a stock trader I will state that any advise from sales person or news letters
means there interest may not be in your best interest, for example ask any Insurance salesman who has the best policy. He-eh, follow the dollar is the bottom line.
The bigger the company the more chance there is danger to your best interest.

#7 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:57 PM

ZoneAlarm Pro 5 has alot of features that can be replaced by other softwares.

1. Automatically stops pop-up ads so you can surf in peace.
Prevents personal data from leaving your computer without permission.
Checks for and deletes adware cookies.
Blocks adware cookies but allows cookies from trusted sites.
Protects your privacy and improves PC performance.

"Popup ads ?" Google can also stop popup ads
"Cookies ?" I use CCleaner to clean cookies.
"Improves PC performance ?" Obvious not considering the complaints in this topic.
"Privacy ?" I'm sure this feature can be replaced by another software.

2. Quarantines suspicious email attachments.
Monitors outgoing email and halts messages with potential viruses.

AVG does the same thing and you need an AntiVirus anyway.
Just ignore and delete all your spam-emails. If it's spam, it's scam.
Any good anti-spam gets rid of all your spam-emails.

So what's the point of using ZoneAlarm Pro 5 ?
You better use ZoneAlarm Free, which is a pure Firewall, without additional features.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 03 February 2005 - 08:46 AM.

ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#8 JWH

JWH

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:02 PM

[quote name='TJ.' date='Jan 31 2005, 08:51 PM']
[quote name='sun' date='Jan 8 2005, 07:35 PM']

View Post

I find these companies use up half my bandwidth reporting back to there home office, I am not talking about updates either...
[/quote]

This really ticks me off. Glad I never paid for Zone Alarm Pro. Now, I'll find out that Spybot is just waiting for me to eventually use a credit card so it can send the numbers back to them.

Is it gonna get so bad that we have to just give up on the internet? I've already got an offline hardware profile with about 9 services running instead of approx. 30 and all the security stuff turned off.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button