Spyware Nuker 2004

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hi, I've had Spyware Nuker 2004 for a while and I did some searching on it. I found several sites where they say its probably Spyware itself. I also did a scan using Norton AntiVirus and it picked it up and recognized it as "AdWare." It also linked me to the following page for more details:

http://securityrespo...ywarenuker.html

^ This is the "threat" it found.

Edit: Although this might be from the previous version of Spyware Nuker, which I still have saved on my computer. I closed out of the scan, but I believe the "threat" was identified as...

SPYNUKER.exe

Edited by wilsmic85, 10 January 2005 - 01:07 PM.

#2 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:19 PM

SpywareNuker is also listed as rogue anti-spyware in this link :
http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm
ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#3 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:22 PM

It seems to detect alot of things. When you say "rogue anti-spyware," do you mean its just not a spyware program remover at all or not a spyware program remover at all and a spyware itself? That'll piss me off if it is... since I paid for it. I bought it and it came in the form of a CD ROM.

#4 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:49 PM

I found something on that spyware warriors site...

http://news.com.com/...html?tag=cd.top

#5 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:31 PM

Spyware nuker is a rogue application. It reported a lot of false positives, and the advertizing tactics used were questionable, to say the least.

However, the company producing it has cleaned up its act considerably, and Spyware nuker2004 is no longer considered a rogue. HOw effective it is, compared to AdAware/Spybot is unclear.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#6 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:59 PM

It would seem that the file my Norton AntiVirus keeps detecting is in the folder for the previous version of Spyware Nuker still on my computer (Spyware Nuker 2.7 I think its called). I just haven't removed it because I was fearing it might affect the way Spyware Nuker 2004 functions. The question is... should I just delete the folder (Trek Blue) and everything in it for Spyware Nuker 2.7?

#7 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:23 PM

If you read carefully, you will see that SpywareNuker has been de-listed on the Rogue Anti-Spyware Programs page:

http://www.spywarewa...re.htm#swn_note

Given that the issues surrounding Spyware Nuker and pcOrion have been addressed by the TrekBlue/TrekData, we can no longer consider Spyware Nuker or pcOrion to be "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware.

To see how it did compared to about 20 other anti-spyware programs, see here:

http://spywarewarrio...-test-guide.htm
Spyware Warrior
Microsoft MVP 2005-2009 Windows - Security

#8 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:31 PM

I know, but that doesn't change the fact that Norton AntiVirus keeps picking it up as "Adware." I also clicked "Delete" in Norton AntiVirus and it say's "Delete Failed."

#9 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:55 AM

wilsmic85,
I'm sorry to hear you paid for SpywareNuker, because I don't spend any money on protection software.
None of these protection softwares are worth to buy and there are other FREE solutions with the same quality.
That's one of the reason, I joined SWI. You can't do this alone, you need professional advice from the start.
Even when you buy the very best protection softwares, you still get infected.
Don't blame me, blame all these software companies, who never succeeded in creating a perfect solution.
You also need professional advice to install the right MIX of protection softwares.
That's why I start reading this forum on a regular base. It isn't that easy and certainly not for a newbie.

My advice : get rid of SpywareNuker, rogue or not, there are better anti-spywares.
If TrekEight aka Trek8 aka TrekData aka TrekBlue is complaining about Norton, well they are the cause of their problems, because of their bad past.
Jesus Christ, why has this company so many names ? Are they hiding something ?

It's not the first time that one of our dear members bought the wrong software, before they joined SWI.
ErikAlbert

#10 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:27 AM

I imagine you are on the right track and Norton is picking up on the older version. My advice would be to uninstall all versions, then re-install the CD-Rom based latest version, it's unlikely the older version is supporting the newer, but this way you will be clear you have only the stand-alone 2004 version running. If Norton still picks that up as spyware you'll just have to live with it, I'm afraid.
The other option is to uninstall all versions and use a free alternative, such as one of the ones listed here; http://www.short-med...nload.php?dc=69
(The general Anti-Spyware programs being SpywareShooter, Spybot and AdAware, my personal favorite being AdAware)
However, ErikAlbert is quite correct in saying a multi-layered protection is best, and if you read around this forum there are discussions going on, and people talking about their personal favorites.

I, for instance, run a fully updated, firewalled XP home edition, with SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, AVG 7.0 (set to update and autoscan daily), AdAware SE, and use FireFox as my default browser. I never get MalWare.
(All those are free programs, apart from XP obviously!)

Edited by jedi, 11 January 2005 - 06:32 AM.

jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#11 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:12 AM

I deleted the folder with the old version of Spyware Nuker, which had the file my Firewall kept picking up as "Adware." Spyware Nuker 2004 still works, so hopefully now this newer version isn't actually "Adware." I just did Norton AntiVirus and I got back the results "No Threat Detected." I was wondering here if anyone tried out Windows AntiSpyware, which they released last week.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I also have Spyware X-terminator.

Edited by wilsmic85, 11 January 2005 - 10:20 AM.

#12 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:44 AM

MS Anti-Spyware BETA-version is discussed in several topics at SWI.
This topic is used by members, who actually use(d) the beta version
http://www.spywarein...=0

I don't know anything about Spyware X-terminator, but I noticed it's not freeware.
I'm not a big fan of commercial softwares.
If you wait long enough you will get more replies.
ErikAlbert

#13 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:10 PM

I've searched the web and I see some people on sites believe the Spyware Nuker software is potential spyware itself or adware. I wonder if it is a true Spyware Removal program or if those people out there are right. Maybe I should just not worry about it since I deleted the files that my Norton AntiVirus recognized as adware... if I am at risk of getting spyware just because of this program I would just delete it, but the problem is no one is certain if Spyware Nuker is a type of spyware/adware itself. I just hope that all those people out there who have said they believe its spyware are referring to the first version of the program and not the one I have... because it seems like a decent piece of software to me.

#14 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:38 PM

Well all your problems are gone :
- it's spyware-free, suzi corrected my wrong reading (thank you suzi)
- Norton didn't complain anymore, thanks to jedi
- you paid for it
The bad comments you found are most probably refering to older versions of Spyware Nuker, that's what you get when a software was considered as rogue software for awhile.
So keep it !!! Case closed.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 11 January 2005 - 02:01 PM.

ErikAlbert

#15 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, everything seems great now. The strange thing though is when I am offline and I open the program... it always tries to connect to the internet. I just click cancel, stay offline, and scan my computer. I wonder if the purpose of it is to check for updates or something.

#16 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

when I am offline and I open the program... it always tries to connect to the internet.

Probably just an auto update feature. There was never any indication that any version of Spyware Nuker actually contained/installed spyware.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#17 littleant

littleant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:08 PM

I wonder if the purpose of it is to check for updates or something.

wilsmic85, as you assumed, Spywarenuker tries to check for update when it starts.
You can disable that feature on Advanced Options panel, under 'auto-update options' - simply select 'Disable auto-update'.

Note that neither version of Spywarenuker or any other TrekBlue product served any ads or spied on users. It has been listed on rogue_anti-spyware.htm for marketing techniques used by affiliates.

ErikAlbert, TrekBlue is a software development division of TrekEight.

bojan

#18 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was curious if anyone else around here uses Spyware Nuker 2004?

#19 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:36 AM

wilsmic85,
Do you know how many spyware signatures the database of SpywareNuker2004 contains ?

In general, users will always use anti-spyware softwares with the largest signature databases, which means a higher detection rate.
If SpywareNuker has a rather small signature database you won't find many members here who actually use SpywareNuker and certainly not in this forum, because the regular members already know what the best FREE anti-spywares are.

The very first version of this software used a stolen signature database of Spybot,
This isn't true anymore according Eric Howes and the software is now legit.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 18 January 2005 - 12:59 PM.

ErikAlbert

#20 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

It seems to detect alot of stuff for me... well only once or twice... I found 66 pests the other morning when I ran it, but it isn't the only anti-spyware program I use. Like I said... I also use Spyware X-terminator. I've always known before I came to this forum that with spyware its wise to be multi-secure because no single spyware program is perfect. In fact... I once had ad-aware as a third program, but accidentally deleted it.

#21 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

You didn't exactly answer my question, but that's OK.
Maybe SpywareNuker doesn't mention that info.

You can download Ad-Aware and Spybot via this link :
http://www.spywarein....php?cat=sp#det

Both softwares are free and highly recommended by any malware expert on any security website or any Malware Forum.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 19 January 2005 - 06:40 PM.

ErikAlbert

#22 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:08 PM

"Do you know how many spyware signatures the database of SpywareNuker2004 contains ?"

I don't have a clue about that. Ad-Aware was a nice program, so I'll consider re-downloading it. I've also used Spybot before. I might re-download that as well. I'll be really multisecure then, lol. Four programs, but doesn't hurt to be very secure. I had a BHO once and it was a big annoyance, but this was before I had any anti-spyware software.

Edited by wilsmic85, 22 January 2005 - 02:09 PM.

#23 wilsmic85

wilsmic85

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

I just got online today right now and I opened Spyware Nuker 2004 and it said updates are now available, so I clicked "OK." It installed Spyware Nuker 2005 and had a list of updates... one was an updated spyware definitons, another was more in-depth scan, and a few others that I forgot.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button