Your Input Please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_AB

Jason_AB

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:45 AM

Is this the correct forum for this post?

I have 3 desktops and a laptop as my home network. I am using a Linksys cable modem, router & wireless access point.
All computers are running:
XP Pro w/SP2
Symantec Corp Edition (daily scans & updates)
XP Firewall
Firefox 1.0 Browser

I am in the process of getting one of my desktops cleaned up from a start page Trojan, and other spy ware. I have read various logs about what I should be running to keep my home network free of spyware & viruses but would like some specific detailed opinions.

Currently I have uninstalled all the spyware programs that I used…Ad Ware SE, Spybot, Spyguard, Spyblaster, and CWshredder. When I get the go ahead to re install them from the malware forum I would like to know what I should install & how to have it set up. One large question I have now is, should I be running a personal firewall like Zone Alarm? The Linksys router has an internal firewall, and I have XP’s firewall running. Should I load and keep all the spyware running, it seems a but much to have, Spyblaster, Spyguard, & Spybot all running, surely there is a product that I can load up and run that will allow me to surf the web, do my banking and sell my eBay stuff, while keeping me from getting infected or hacked…? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am not opposed to actually paying for one program (imagine that) if it can do what all 3 or 4 of the free ones do.

thanks

Edited by Jason_AB, 03 February 2005 - 08:48 AM.

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:39 PM

Use the following to keep from getting infected:

- SpywareBlaster (updates once a month)
- Ad-Aware SE (scan and update weekly)
- Mozilla Firefox (NEVER be infected by spyware through ActiveX again!)

SAV Corporate is nice; I use it at my office, but I much prefer AVG to it.

You'll find links to the programs mentioned in my signature; if you get Firefox, I highly recommend the AdBlock extension as well - you'll never see an ad again if you use the right filters.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 Jason_AB

Jason_AB

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:45 PM

AVG which one? freeware or the $33 dollar one?

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

Use AVG Free if you don't want SAV Corporate. If your copy of SAV corporate is legit and you get updates from a company, don't change it - just take what your sysadmin put there.

#5 Jason_AB

Jason_AB

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:29 PM

the company I work for issues legit copies for all employees. So I do get all the updates. So stick with it over AVG?

Ok I am clean what do I install & keep running on my clean system to keep it from getting infected?

#6 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:56 PM

Stick with it, then.

Install SpywareBlaster and update it once a month.
Install Ad-Aware SE and update it every time you scan.
Install Firefox and you'll never get anything spyware-related except tracking cookies again.

#7 Jason_AB

Jason_AB

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

no need for zone alarm or anything like it, I am pretty sure my linksys router has an inter firewall correct. befsr41 is the model number.

#8 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:51 AM

The BEFSR41 and BEFSR41v3 (I use the latter at home) do indeed have a firewall in each of them.

#9 bpm3k

bpm3k

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:18 AM

no need for zone alarm or anything like it, I am pretty sure my linksys router has an inter firewall correct.  befsr41 is the model number.

View Post

You are not worried about outbound protection? My friend didn't know she had picked up a trojan, until zonealarm popped up telling her it was calling out.

She then scanned with AVG free and it of course detected nothing. BUT luckily Panda AtiveScan detected it.

In conclusion, consider a software firewall for outbound protection. And check out this link: www.av-comparatives.org (click on "comparatives") They test AV programs, their latest test was posted yesterday. Definitly keep Symantec. AVG was dead-last for on-demand scanning.

Edited by bpm3k, 28 February 2005 - 03:25 AM.

#10 WyoCowboy

WyoCowboy

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:42 PM

no need for zone alarm or anything like it, I am pretty sure my linksys router has an inter firewall correct.  befsr41 is the model number.

View Post

You are not worried about outbound protection? My friend didn't know she had picked up a trojan, until zonealarm popped up telling her it was calling out.

She then scanned with AVG free and it of course detected nothing. BUT luckily Panda AtiveScan detected it.

In conclusion, consider a software firewall for outbound protection. And check out this link: www.av-comparatives.org (click on "comparatives") They test AV programs, their latest test was posted yesterday. Definitly keep Symantec. AVG was dead-last for on-demand scanning.

View Post

I second on using a software firewall in addition to consumer-grade hardware firewall/routers. Unlike their corporate-grade big brothers, these routers can't distinguish between legitimate and malicious outbound traffic, so if you do get infected, the h/w firewall will do absolutely nothing to prevent malware from phoning home and downloading all of its cousins. I remove plenty of scumware from customer's machines that are on broadband, using only h/w firewalls.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button