AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:02 PM

FYI...

- http://www.techweb.c..._section=700027
February 15, 2005
"Contrary to expectations, Microsoft will continue to offer its anti-spyware tool for free and will revamp Internet Explorer sooner rather than later, company chairman Bill Gates said Tuesday in a keynote speech at the RSA Conference. "Blocking and scanning of spyware should be available to every Windows system," Gates said at the in San Francisco security conference, which opened Monday and runs through Friday. The Redmond, Wash.-based developer, however, will offer business-grade managed anti-spyware solutions, said Gates, "that will include rich administration capabilities. We'll have a separate administration product and license for that." Microsoft AntiSpyware, a revamped and renamed product acquired in December's purchase of Giant Company Software, has been available for download in beta form since early January. According to Gates, more than five million free copies have been pulled from its Web site..."

:blink:
.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

#2 SirPeter

SirPeter

Hugging kitties

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:39 PM

Thats good news :)
But a serious competitior for Lavasoft and spybot S&D now.

Edited by SirPeter, 15 February 2005 - 02:42 PM.

Cute kitties rule the world

#3 macaroo

macaroo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:23 PM

I have found the the MicroSoft Anti-Spyware package is a good compliment to AdaWare and SpyBot. It seems to pick up the stuff that falls thru the cracks. I especially like the dynamic monitoring of suspect scribes and installers. I commend Bill Gates on his decision.

#4 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:04 PM

...good news...

Not if you work for the competition.

I commend Bill Gates on his decision...

Given time, you may wish you hadn't said that...

......... Use your own.

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:18 PM

At first I thought this was good news.......now I'm wondering how it will impact the anti-spyware industry, as Apluswebmaster suggested.

I would not want to see any of the current anti-spyware companies, like Webroot or X-Block, go belly up. :(

#6 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:32 PM

It depends on how much MS AntiSpyware will improve in the future.

If it beats all the competition in QUALITY and QUANTITY (signatures), I really don't care about the competition and I finally can get rid of all my other AntiSpyware softwares. MS has at least more money and people to do it better.

If that doesn't happen, I have just another free and good AntiSpyware software on my computer and nothing really changed.

I'm glad that MS offers a FREE AntiSpyware software. At least I have one of my small wishes.
It also could be an improvement for SWI, to use MS AntiSpyware in their FAQ as a preparation for the HijackThis Log.
ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#7 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

I really don't care about the competition...

You will when there isn't any.

......... Use your own.

#8 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:45 AM

I really don't care about the competition...

You will when there isn't any.

View Post

Well that is just a matter of opinion.
I would be surprised that all these smaller companies didn't realize that one day MS would take measures concerning malware prevention, detection and removal, especially after getting the blame for every malware infection on the internet.

If the competition doesn't succeed in beating MS, they lost the struggle. That's business. Survival of the fittest.
The competition had enough time and in stead of working separately, they better would have join their knowledge and experience to create better softwares and MS would have constantly a hard time to keep up with them.

The competition can always survive when they invent better protection softwares than MS, based on a total new approach and that's good, because I'm not a big fan of the actual solutions.

There is still alot of other work to do on the internet like getting rid of the infected websites, hunting down the scammers and spammers, ... that's a life time job and everybody wants a SAFE internet.
ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#9 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:47 PM

I look at it this way, if you had the choice to buy a brand-new car or get the same kind of car for completely free...... which would you take? Most people will take the free one. Right?

But if everyone (or nearly everyone) takes the free one, there will be no more healthy competition between different manufacturers, that would keep the different products growing and constantly improving because of this healthy competition.

Now what do you think MS will do if they monopolize the anti-spyware market?

They will most likely do as they have done in the past. They will put out another crappy product that is slow to update and make any improvements. Sure it's good now, because Giant did all the work. But can MS maintain that same level of success?

Not to mention that every hacker around the world will be constantly looking for (and finding) every possible weakness in MSAS.

I'm not saying MS will actually monopolize the AS industry, that remains to be seen, but I doubt sales will be too stellar either for the current AS companies with MS offering a free product, and for many it could be lights out.

Even with MSAS being as good as it is, it won't be able to find all the different spyware that is out there. We need at least a few different GOOD products to do it, and if MS puts them all out of business, then were up the that famous creek without a paddle IMHO.

#10 cheglabratjoe

cheglabratjoe

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

Look at the situation now: people get infected using IE, eventually they get tired of it or their computer becomes practically nonfunctional, and they seek help. Often times this help leads them to Firefox/Spybot/Ad-Aware/etc.

Future situation: people get infected despite the MS Antispyware because it will not be perfect and probably will degrade in quality, and they will eventually find their way to Firefox/Spybot/Ad-Aware/etc.

Will this hurt antispyware companies? I doubt it. I think it will be free advertising in the form of increasing public awareness in spyware. It will not be perfect, when it fails the failure will be very public and very ugly, and more people will flock to REAL protection.

#11 niceguy

niceguy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:08 AM

I think this will weed out the smaller compeditors. The larger ones will struggle on for a while. The question is if they will survive until people again realise that they need thease alternatives.

Also look at what has happened to the brower industry. We have just the few years had an increase óf avalible IE compeditors. This may also happen to operating systems as well.

The problem however is that the entry bar for a new compeditor are constantly risen. How many brand new car manufacturer has been created the last 20 odd years for instance? Not many but a century ago, a car manufacturer just needed some basic mechanical skills, some tools and a garage. Those days are over and will never return.

#12 SirPeter

SirPeter

Hugging kitties

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:23 AM

I dont mind that there is serious competition in anti spyware land. It could also result in better products. Competition is healthy.
Cute kitties rule the world

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button