some advice on edwido

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nemmisa

nemmisa

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

Hi i need some advice on edwido, i downloaded edwido and run a scan and it found some infected files in the restore folder which it said to clean so let it clean them thinking it would not be able to clean them as i know nothing is supposed to be able to touch your restore folder, so rebooted computer and ran another scan and it found nothing and in edwidos log it says it has cleaned them.

What i am worried about is how it has managed to clean files in restore when nothing is aloud to alter delete or modify things in your restore folder. i emailed edwido and they said i must have system restore deactivated but it isn't surely if restore was switched off it wouldn't find anything in there.

what i need to know is should i restore the items it cleaned and then turn off restore and delete all my restore points then turn back on system restore seems to be working ok as it is making system checkpoints everyday.
have attached edwidos log on what it found and cleaned.

Attached Files

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:12 PM

I would guess that it deleted the whole restore point. There wouldn't be any reason to restore, unless you know there was something you need in it that isn't in the later restore points you've created.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 nemmisa

nemmisa

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:33 PM

I would guess that it deleted the whole restore point.  There wouldn't be any reason to restore, unless you know there was something you need in it that isn't in the later restore points you've created.

View Post

thank you for replying my worry is this, not that i have any malware or trojens on my system i always delete all my restore points once a week then turn back on plus all my other malware program scans come up clean, my problem is that edwido cleaned files from restore when Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations. not even edwido support staff have been able to tell me how it has managed to clean infected files from restore folder i just think it is a bit worrying

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button