7 replies to this topic

#1 Optimization_Wizard

Optimization_Wizard

A Talking Toaster

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

Hey,
I have been recently BOMBED with spyware. Ok, I woke up at 9:00 am, did my spyware scans, got an allergy test done, and when i came back, it was about 2:00 pm and I noticed that my computer was acting kind of slow. So, naturally I scanned for spyware. And I found 800 spyware traces and 50 different kinds!!! And I don't skimp on security, I run a Windows XP with SP2 with all the security updates downloaded, got a firewall up, many spyware shields and immunizations, and Avast Antivirus running all it's processes. It was a very sudden bombing and I haven't been on any websites for that whole day.
On Ad-Aware, I found 130 files infected with Spyware with a TAC rating of 10! And I got all these startup items called MediaPass and I couldn't disable them. I tried 4 different startup managers including msconfig. So I had to delete it manually from my hard drive and registry. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. And I would like if you had a spyware horror story that you will want to share.

#2 Misereor

Misereor

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:29 AM

Get a firewall... :)

#3 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:35 AM

Get a firewall... :)

View Post

Firewall wont prevent you from being infected, and depending on the firewall you use and the spyware you encounter , the firewall might not prevent them from "phoning home" too.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#4 Optimization_Wizard

Optimization_Wizard

A Talking Toaster

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:08 AM

I DO have a fire wall. But the weird thing is I got them when I wasn't on the internet.

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:41 AM

Be careful about opening any unknown email. Even previewing it can allow something to install itself.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#6 Optimization_Wizard

Optimization_Wizard

A Talking Toaster

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:25 AM

I actually scan all my emails with Avast. And I don't ever open emails that are sent by someone I don't know. On top of that, I have a spam filter. And I didn't even touch my computer between my 9:00 am scan and my 2:00 pm scan.

#7 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

Any possibility someone else used your PC? Also, beware of Remote Procedure.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#8 Swandog46

Swandog46

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:36 PM

If you're fully patched and firewalled, that is really bizarre. I would actually be inclined to agree with cnm: "Any possibility someone else used your PC?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button