How do I otimize/be preventitive with a new laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JamesUlan

JamesUlan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a new member of spywareinfo and I'd like to take the opportunity to introduce myself and say whats up to you.

I just bought a brand new dell laptop. How do I keep it running fast all the time and avoid trojans, adware, malmare and all that crap?

So far I've installed spywareblaster, ad-aware and spybot. Are there any more protective programs I should install?

Should I use firefox instead of Internet Explorer? And if so, what security features do I want to enable in firefox?

Also, my dell laptop came with a bunch of useless programs and advertisements on it. Could these be slowing down my new baby? If so, what do I do?

Much obliged ya'll.

Sincerely,
James Ulan :D

Edited by JamesUlan, 18 May 2005 - 02:02 PM.

#2 Buzz1927

Buzz1927

Son of Glyndwr

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

Hi James. Welcome to SWI.

How do I keep it running fast all the time and avoid trojans, adware, malmare and all that crap?

Stay off the internet! But you've made a good start with the programs you have. Spywareguard is also good. This gives real-time protection. Enable the tea-timer function in Spybot. Remember to update regularly. Install a reliable Firewall and Anti-virus. There are links to some good free for personal use programs in my signature.

Should I use firefox instead of Internet Explorer

Yes. It's much more secure than IE, and has a fantastic pop-up blocker thrown in.

Also, my dell laptop came with a bunch of useless programs and advertisements on it.

Delete anything you don't want or need, especially if they run in the background. Clear your temp folder regularly. CCleaner is a free program that can be programmed to run automatically on boot to delete all the junk you pick up on the internet.

Hope this helps.

#3 markkhunt

markkhunt

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

Hi, James. Welcome to SWI forums. :wave:

I see that guybuz has already answered your questions. The only thing I might add is that if you find you do occasionally need to use IE, download and install IE-SPYAD. It puts a list of 5000+ sites that are known to contain malware in your restricted zone.
Posted Image
ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals - Proud Member Since 2005
MS MVP 2007 Consumer Security

#4 Buzz1927

Buzz1927

Son of Glyndwr

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

Thanks markhunt

I missed that (even though it's in my signature).

#5 JamesUlan

JamesUlan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

guybuz and Markkhunt,

Thank you very much for your help! Shauntell appreciates it too. Thats my laptop, haha, sike. You guys made me feel very welcome as a newcomer with your quick response and friendly posts.

I'm going to install spywareguard, ccleaner, IE-SPYAD and give a big friendly farewell F YOU to crapware.

One more quick one, how do I edit the programs that run in my background?

Take it easy fellas

#6 Buzz1927

Buzz1927

Son of Glyndwr

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:03 PM

Hi James.

One more quick one, how do I edit the programs that run in my background?

If you mean how do you control what programs run on startup, hit start>run - type "msconfig" (without the quotes), open startup, and uncheck any programs you don't want running on startup. Hope this answers your question.

Take care.
Buz.

#7 JamesUlan

JamesUlan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

Buz

I ran msconfig and these are the program that run on startup. Do you recognize any of them as crapware, trojans etc? Should I uncheck any of these?

McAgent
McUpdate
Peosgy (looks suspicious)
Matveh (looks suspicious and reminds me of the word matzah)
Eliteini32
Mcvsshld
Dumprep 0-u (looks suspicious)
Aim
Ctfmon
Msmsgs
Adobe gamma loader.exe
Cicsco systems VPN client (I use this to log onto my school's network because I live off campus at the University of Maryland)

Thanks again Buz :)

#8 Buzz1927

Buzz1927

Son of Glyndwr

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

Hi James.

I thought this was a new computer? Those two entries you highlighted I don't recognise, but it could be something to do with Dell. The one underneath looks more suspicious. If you want someone to check for malware, download Hijackthis (there's a link in my signature) and post it in the PC Troubleshooting forum. Please be patient, this is a very busy forum, it might take a day or two before someone gets to you (I haven't been cleared to work on live logs yet).

Hope this helps.
Buz.

#9 JamesUlan

JamesUlan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

Buzzzz my man

My laptop is about 2 weeks old (new to me), but i've been downloading a lot of stuff like adobe, aol, firefox, getting updates and going to lots of websites, which probably explains why there are so many weird programs in the startup area. I will make a hijack this log and post it in the malware removal area on Friday evening, after I finish my last college final exam, which is on Friday. I'm graduating and starting work at Morgan Stanley as a stock broker. If you need investment/financial advice give me a ring. You've been great and good luck getting hijack certified! Take care bud :)

Edited by JamesUlan, 18 May 2005 - 03:51 PM.

#10 Buzz1927

Buzz1927

Son of Glyndwr

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:50 PM

James

You might want to edit out your phone number. All sorts of people view these forums. I've taken a note of it. Good luck in your new career.

Take care.
Buz.

#11 markkhunt

markkhunt

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

Hi again, James.

MSCONFIG is a tool thatís really designed more for computer diagnostics than it is for selecting what programs run at startup, although it can be used that way. I would leave it alone for the time being.

Looking through your list of startup files, I can tell you that some do not need to be there, some should probably be left alone, and some that I donít recognize with the information I have. I agree with Buz. You should download HijackThis and post a log to have someone look at it. I donít recognize Peosgy or Matveh, but I am very suspicious of the Eliteini32. I have a feeling it could be one of the Elite Toolbar variants. If it is, that needs to come off. Also, make sure you tell the Helper who responds to your post that you want to know what ďoptionalsĒ you can remove.

Good luck on your final!
Posted Image
ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals - Proud Member Since 2005
MS MVP 2007 Consumer Security

#12 JamesUlan

JamesUlan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

Dear Mr. Mark

Roger that on MSCONFIG as a diagnostic tool. I'll be sure to only use it to check whats running in my background.

Also, I've been reading an online guide on analyzing hijackthis log files and I deleted peosgy, matzeh and eliteini32 from my system after checking their validity with several databases and google, but suprise suprise, I'm still getting a couple pop ups when I reboot. No biggie, I will post my hijackthis log in the malware removal forum tomorrow. I never thought this shit would be so fun! I love cleaning out my computer. Its like good vs evil. Anyways, i'll say bye and thanks to you before I go off on another tangent. Take it easy Mark. You're a huge help my friend!

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button