• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mwasi

mwasi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for feedback on a new site I recently put up. Any suggestions or feedback on the process discussed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. http://healthypcsteps.com

Healthy PC Steps

#2 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

mwasi,
You are asking for feedback, well that's a VERY BIG question. The whole forum is feedback for you :)

If I was you, I would become a regular member in this forum and look around, read the qualified posts, read the pinned posts, read the links on top, which protection softwares are recommended or not, take notes of important data, etc. etc. etc.
I like to have an idea of the major problems in the malware world first, before I decide to go in detail and I take my time to do this. I'm not in a hurry and nobody is pushing me. The malware won't run away.
I read, read, read, collect info and think about it.
I'm a bit slower than most members because English isn't my first language, but that's not really a problem.

How to keep my computer clean the cheapest way, is one thing I learn already :techsupport:
ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#3 mwasi

mwasi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've been familiar with spyware info for sometime now. That is way I link their news feeds to my site.

I'm just looking for feedback on my suggested method of keeping a pc clean and healthy. Trust me, I have tried a lot of software and different processes including the infomation in this site.

Also, looking for feedback on the site itself layout and function.

Thanks
Mark

Edited by mwasi, 07 June 2005 - 11:56 AM.

#4 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

mwasi,
The first Healthy PC step, is the user himself. He is the main reason why his computer isn't healthy.
The subforums "Malware Removal" and "PC Troubleshooting" are full with infected computers.
ErikAlbert

#5 mwasi

mwasi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

Good point. I will add that to the prevention section.

Thanks
Mark

#6 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:30 PM

On this website you will find an important post written by TonyKlein
http://castlecops.co...e7736-0-0-.html
and the first paragraph - point 1) - is about the USERS. Work out that point.
Smarter users will follow that advice, those who really work with their computer and don't like to waste their time on malware.
The other points of TonyKlein's post are the basic protection that everyone should have and that is your next step.

Also number your steps, users like that. It's also easy for the user to refer to a number, if there is a problem.
So your idea of using steps is very good. Users like to work systematically - step by step - especially when they don't fully understand what they are doing. You can't teach them everything in one day.

Avoid using difficult words. A word like "kernel" scares users and if there is no other way explain it immediately.
Avoid abbreviations unless you explain them in advance, like for instance Microsoft Anti-Spyware (MSAS) and continue with MSAS.
Also keep your explanation as short as possible, you don't have to tell them everything at once. Just enough to execute the step. People don't like long explanations, they want ACTION.
Also the presentation is important and use colors for the same reasons, but not too many colors. Choose a good font and a clear contrast.

Keep in mind that most of your visitors will be typical users, who know just enough about computers.
Experts don't need your advice, so you don't have to talk to them.
The ignorant users are the ones that need help and they expect easy explanations otherwise you will scare them away after the first reading. Let them feel comfortable on your website.
Of course there will be users with a higher degree of knowledge, but that doesn't matter.
Always talk to newbies, the smarter ones will skip the steps, they already know.
A smiley like that :rofl: disturbs the user during his reading. So don't use animation. Good animations are rare. Keep it simple and it will make the maintenance of your website also easier.
Keep the maintenance also in mind when you design your website.

My explanation is a bit sloppy, but I didn't have the time to prepare this post.
That's enough for today. End of lecture :)

Edited by ErikAlbert, 07 June 2005 - 03:05 PM.

ErikAlbert

#7 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:14 AM

I also would add MVPS Hosts to the basic protection.
Also advice them to use Firefox, Opera, ... in stead of MSIE.
MSIE is still my default browser, but I use Firefox for surfing/searching on the internet.
Explain them to keep MSIE for at least Windows Update. Some users think they can remove MSIE, which is absurd.
Explain also WHY users have to use Firefox, otherwise they think you just offer them another browser.
Using Firefox prevents many infections, even CWS nasty #1.

All softwares have default settings, if the default settings aren't safe, mention the settings that need to be changed to improve the security.
If users don't remember these settings after reinstalling the software, they will come to your website to get them.

Recommend only legitimate and easy softwares, mention always the link of the official homepage and if it's freeware, shareware, ... users like to know that info. Cracked software or cracks = TROUBLE.
Also mention the yearly fee they have to pay for the updatings. Most users don't care about the first payment, but don't like to pay the yearly fees, some of them switch to freeware or software with only one payment.

Don't forget to mention HijackThis, the most important tool when they are really in trouble and where they can get QUALIFIED help (at SWI of course).
Solving HijackThis Logs is the main activity at SWI, so you don't really compete with them by giving users smart advices and softwares. Lots of security websites do the same thing.
The trick is to find out what is missing on other security websites and when you add these missing parts, your website will become special, otherwise you will be just another website in a long row.

Prepare your info first in a text processor, before you start developing your website.
Changes in a text processor are alot easier, than changing the website over and over again.

I guess I gave you enough feedback to start with. I won't compete with you, I'm too lazy LOL.
Watch your post for awhile, you never know, who will surprise you with additional feedback.
ErikAlbert

#8 mwasi

mwasi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Thanks ErikAlbert!

You make all good points.

I'm planning on putting up a link to firefox and adding that to the preventions steps.

I'm looking to breakup the steps into four processes.

First time steps- for those folks who have done no preventive step, their machine is all messed up, they do not know where to start.

Routine Cleaning steps- that is what is up there right now.

Prevention steps - firefox, spywareblaster, spyguard etc.

System Recovery and Data Backup Steps

I was going to add hijack this, then decided not to. Newbies can do a lot of damage with that. I was thinking about that Deamon program (I forget the name of it).

All good points thanks for the feedback.

Edited by mwasi, 08 June 2005 - 11:10 AM.

#9 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:19 PM

mwasi,
The advantage of refering to good links, is that you don't have to worry about the updating and updating is very important in security. The links do the updating for you. It will save you alot of work in maintaining your website.

Do whatever you like with your website. I won't interfere. I'm not your boss :D
I just gave you a few tips to start with, based on my many years experience with typical users at work.

Good luck with your website !!!
ErikAlbert

#10 mwasi

mwasi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:37 AM

good point. I will work that in.

Thanks
Mark

Member of UNITE