Zone Alarm blocking all internet access on longuse

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rockoffer

rockoffer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

Im running the free version of Zone Alarm on the standard setting.
Ive found that if the computer is left on for a long time, or put into "sleep" or 'hibernate' then Zone Alarm will block all internet access - despite showing the internet lock as 'open'. It seems there is no way to use the internet w/o disabling zone alarm all together. Is something wrong with my computer, or my version of ZA?

Also, if i disable ZA, is the windows XP firewall adaquate?
thanks

#2 spyhater12

spyhater12

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:00 PM

I have the same problem, i have found no help though.

This site might help, but it hasnt helped me... http://forum.zonelab...essage.id=25226

(it's the forum i asked my question in...)

#3 david8m

david8m

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:45 AM

No help to offer - just wanted to chime in to say that I, too, have the standard ZoneAlarm installed and have been having trouble, recently, myself. It seems that both MSGiant and Norton AV, (the full, store-bought version), say that they can't connect to the internet when attempting to update, even though I have an always-on cable connection and CAN go online, as I am, now. I've thought about re-installing ZA or even trying a different firewall, entirely, (even though I really like ZA's interface - especially the "Stop all internet activity" feature). Any thoughts on Sygate? Should I trade up and use that, instead, or just turn off ZA when I need to update?

Edited to say: I tried turning off ZA, but they still say there's no internet connection.

Edited to say: A-HA! I found the problem, and it wasn't with ZA. I was trying out an IP hiding app. that only works on I.E.. I use Firefox, mostly, so I had forgotten about that app. and, apparently, both Giant and Norton use the I.E. browser to connect. Shutting down the app. cleared up the problem.

Edited by david8m, 30 July 2005 - 10:25 AM.

#4 rawr

rawr

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

Im running the free version of Zone Alarm on the standard setting.
Ive found that if the computer is left on for a long time, or put into "sleep" or 'hibernate' then Zone Alarm will block all internet access - despite showing the internet lock as 'open'.  It seems there is no way to use the internet w/o disabling zone alarm all together.  Is something wrong with my computer, or my version of ZA?

Also, if i disable ZA, is the windows XP firewall adaquate?
thanks

The 'Automatic Lock' feature is enabled. Click on your 'Program Controls' tab and look down at the last option. But since you're running the free version, I'm not quite sure if you can turn it off/on or not. I am running the Pro version 6.0 .. so depending on the version you have, it might be slightly different.

Edited by rawr, 31 July 2005 - 06:28 PM.

#5 JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

You can turn off automatic internet lock in ZA free 6.

What you can no longer do, it seems, is set individual apps to pass-lock status; at least no one has found where/ how to do that in this version of ZA free. So really, it is best to run with automatic internet lock off.

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

Hi windows firewall is all you need but best backed up with microsoft antispyware. and a good antivirus. :rofl:
I build computers,install windows XP Home Edition all updates and SP2 added,windows firewall backed up by Avast Antivirus Pro, Microsoft AniSpyware, Yahoo AntiSpyware, Ad-Awaware SE Plus, Ad-Watch SE Plus, CCleaner, Windows Registry Repair Pro, and WinPatrol 9.7 Beta. These all work together well keeping this computer and any other computers I build or look after free from crashes, and the dreaded blue screen. but need to learn more about malware and viruses.

#7 starship_fl

starship_fl

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

I'd prepared this entry only to find that this thread is here.

I'd like to point out that the big difference with ZoneLab is that it prevents bad guys, who already may be in your computer, from phoning "home".

Unfortunately, it seems to still be not working.

I'm wondering if anyone has read anything new concerning the connectivity problem Zone Labs is having.

I uninstalled the firewall a while ago because I couldn't stay online.

I've read that I'm not the only one that was having this problem.

I Emailed them but no response. I also filled out their survey when I left. Same result.

I was hoping they'd have it fixed by now. No such luck.

I downloaded the program again and installed it. 20 minutes later I couldn't get online.

I've uninstalled it again and am very disappointed.

ZoneAlarm was always so good. I'd used it for years.

It seems that their latest version will not work for me.

Thanks,

Edited by starship_fl, 09 August 2005 - 08:42 PM.

#8 thedon57

thedon57

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:36 AM

Hi again can i dare ask what antivirus you have installed, also see my last post windows firewall along with microsoft antispy does the same job as zone alarm, it notifies you when something trys to enter, if you back that up with lavasoft ad-aware, that is go but if you want to go the lot then i can give you. more.
I build computers,install windows XP Home Edition all updates and SP2 added,windows firewall backed up by Avast Antivirus Pro, Microsoft AniSpyware, Yahoo AntiSpyware, Ad-Awaware SE Plus, Ad-Watch SE Plus, CCleaner, Windows Registry Repair Pro, and WinPatrol 9.7 Beta. These all work together well keeping this computer and any other computers I build or look after free from crashes, and the dreaded blue screen. but need to learn more about malware and viruses.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button