• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:46 AM

I pretty much had to quote from this article ( http://www.cnn.com/2...ents/index.html ), once I read it this morning, because it sums up the scope and the effect of the illegals invasion very succinctly (bolding is mine for emphasis):

"There's never been a more important time to enforce U.S. immigration laws, especially at the southern border. The population of illegal aliens surged to more than 10 million last year, according to a new study from the Pew Hispanic Center, representing about one-third of the foreign-born population in the United States. Nearly 6 million illegal aliens are Mexican, the center says, and about 80 percent to 85 percent of the migration from Mexico in recent years has been undocumented. Another 2.5 million are from other Latin American countries, according to the center.

A few congressmen realize the growing problem of illegal immigration into this country and are trying to propose solutions to fix it. Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wisconsin, is fighting the administration to pass necessary reforms as part of the intelligence overhaul bill signed this year.

Illegal immigration depresses wages, leads to job losses and drains the U.S. economy of public funds for social services and education, but there is also the larger problem of protecting our country from another deadly terrorist attack.

"I think that you can't have homeland security without border security," Sensenbrenner says.

"And obviously this is a place that smugglers use not only to bring people across the border, but to bring drugs across the border and gang members across the border. This is a public safety problem that impacts every American, even Americans who live as far away from the Mexican border as my constituents in Wisconsin."

We need effective, serious measures applied to border control, people - and we need it now.

It would probably do you well to watch the video entitled "Exposing the Border Patrol" on this page ( http://www.cnn.com/video/ ) as well. Pete

Another interesting one - and one which you should let your legislators' know that you support - http://www.cnn.com/2...lish/index.html

#2 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

"Brazilians Streaming Into U.S. Through Mexican Border"

(Read rest of article here):

http://www.nytimes.c...agewanted=print

Encouraged by highly organized groups of smugglers offering relatively cheap packages, Brazilians recently have been migrating in record numbers to the United States.

With direct entry to the United States tougher than in the past, more often than not their route of choice is through Mexico, which in recent years has stopped requiring entry visas of Brazilians.

During just two days in late April, Border Patrol agents in south Texas detained 232 Brazilians who had entered the United States illegally. All told, more than 12,000 Brazilians have been apprehended trying to cross the United States-Mexican border this year, exceeding the number detained in all of 2004 and pushing Brazilians to the top of the category known as "other than Mexicans."

Mexico, facing growing complaints from Washington, is now contemplating restoring visa formalities for Brazilians. That in turn has led to a fever among potential migrants here in the vast heartland of south-central Brazil to obtain a passport and head for Mexico before the door there starts swinging shut.

At the Federal Police office in Governador Valadares, the main city in this fertile region of rolling hills, the line of people seeking passports each day stretches around the block.

Those waiting one afternoon did not want to talk with a reporter about their travel plans, but the Federal Police delegate for the region, Rui Antônio da Silva, estimated that 90 percent were headed for the United States via the Mexican route. "We believe that just in this region there are about 30 gangs that offer this service to people," he said. "It's a very lucrative business, and a lot of people are involved."

Mr. da Silva said that last year his office issued an average of about 45 passports a day. Since January the number has jumped to a daily average of 140. A few minutes later, an assistant came into his office. "The numbers just don't stop growing," she said. "We hit a new record today, more than 200 passports."

American authorities say that many of the trafficking gangs use travel agencies as fronts. Governador Valadares, a pleasant city of 250,000 in the sprawling inland state of Minas Gerais, which is the source of the majority of the Brazilians apprehended on the Mexican border, now has more than 100 such firms, up from 40 just a couple of years ago.

People here who have been approached by trafficking rings said that the going rate at the moment for door-to-door transport to Boston, the preferred destination of illegal Brazilian immigrants, is about $10,500. That is more than two years' income for the average Brazilian, but effectively 30 percent less than a year ago, because the American dollar is weaker now."

Need some more reasons to lock down the borders, y'all? Pete

#3 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:36 AM

http://www.azcentral...shooting01.html

"2 Border Patrol agents shot, expected to live"

"Susan Carroll
Republic Tucson Bureau
Jul. 1, 2005 12:00 AM

Two U.S. Border Patrol agents were shot by suspected drug smugglers on Thursday afternoon near Nogales but were expected to survive, authorities said.

Border Patrol spokesman Jose Garza said the agents were "ambushed" about 12:30 p.m. near Arizona 82 and Dusquene Road. Both were shot in the leg and hospitalized in "stable" condition in Tucson late Thursday.

The agents were tracking a group of suspected drug smugglers near the U.S.-Mexican border, said Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada. Investigators believe the suspected smugglers fired on the agents as they approached and then fled back to Mexico, Estrada said.

No suspects have been arrested in the shooting, which is under investigation by the FBI.

Since Oct. 1, the start of the fiscal year, the Border Patrol has recorded 196 assaults on agents, including 24 shootings.

In the same time last year, 92 assaults were reported, and only five were shootings, Garza said.
"

#4 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

The more I look at this issue, the more articles I find:

"U.S. Policy Lets Illegal Immigrants Go"

http://www.newsday.c...0,2195444.story

"U.S.-Canada Border Leaves Many Jittery"

http://www.newsday.c...i,0,47615.story

It's quite apparent from reading all this stuff that the current (and former) administrations are doing nothing more than paying lip-service to actually guarding any of our physical borders.

To me, this is a clear sign that they aren't in the slightest bit concerned with foreign terrorists getting in - and further convinces me more than ever that measures such as "REAL-ID" the proposed passport changes, "administrative subpoena power" for the F.B.I and all of the provisions of the 'patriot' act are aimed directly at us - legitimate, innocent American citizens.

There's simply no other explanation. Pete

#5 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

Here's you a nice little film clip to watch/listen to ("No more agents", you can find it by going to the CNN "Top Video" page and scrolling down):

javascript:cnnPlayVideo('/video/us/2005/07/15/tucker.no.more.agents.cnn','/topvideos')

And a nice little article to go along with it:

http://www.cnn.com/2...ents/index.html

"(CNN) -- The Department of Homeland Security has said it will send more than 500 additional Border Patrol agents to Arizona this year to help stop the flow of illegal aliens into the United States.

However, most of these additional agents are being transferred from other border states at a time when the federal government should be hiring as many new agents as possible. Not so coincidentally, the move came two days before a concerned group of private citizens was to start patrolling the most porous stretch of the southern border with Mexico.

The Bush administration's failure to enforce immigration laws that would slow the invasion of illegal aliens has led this group to take action. Starting Friday, leaders of the Minuteman Project, a self-proclaimed neighborhood watch group, will spread more than 1,000 volunteers along the Arizona border in an effort to report suspected illegal aliens to the Border Patrol.

In response to the Minuteman Project, President Bush said last week, "I am against vigilantes in the United States of America. I am for enforcing law in a rational way."

But there's a reason these so-called vigilantes exist: The federal government refuses to address seriously the increasingly important issues of border security and illegal immigration.

There's tremendous irony in the president's declaration that it's the Border Patrol's job to enforce laws in a rational way. In his budget, the president provided for 210 additional Border Patrol agents this year, when it's been mandated that 2,000 were needed.

In a news briefing this week, White House press secretary Scott McClellan also expressed concern about the Minuteman Project, saying, "We don't want people operating outside the law. The president made that very clear last week."

More irony from the administration: We don't want concerned Americans operating outside the law in response, yet we have no problem allowing millions of noncitizens to cross our borders illegally every year.

There's never been a more important time to enforce U.S. immigration laws, especially at the southern border. The population of illegal aliens surged to more than 10 million last year, according to a new study from the Pew Hispanic Center, representing about one-third of the foreign-born population in the United States. Nearly 6 million illegal aliens are Mexican, the center says, and about 80 percent to 85 percent of the migration from Mexico in recent years has been undocumented. Another 2.5 million are from other Latin American countries, according to the center.

A few congressmen realize the growing problem of illegal immigration into this country and are trying to propose solutions to fix it. Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wisconsin, is fighting the administration to pass necessary reforms as part of the intelligence overhaul bill signed this year.

Illegal immigration depresses wages, leads to job losses and drains the U.S. economy of public funds for social services and education, but there is also the larger problem of protecting our country from another deadly terrorist attack.

"I think that you can't have homeland security without border security," Sensenbrenner says.

"And obviously this is a place that smugglers use not only to bring people across the border, but to bring drugs across the border and gang members across the border. This is a public safety problem that impacts every American, even Americans who live as far away from the Mexican border as my constituents in Wisconsin."

The decision to send more agents to the most vulnerable stretch of the U.S. border with Mexico is a step forward in apprehending the many illegal aliens who will sneak into the country this year. But the move is largely ceremonial and falls well short of what is necessary to solve this troubling crisis.

If the president wants to enforce the law in a rational way, he might start by enforcing the laws already on the books. Until Bush can find it in his budget to send the appropriate number of Border Patrol agents requested by Congress, concerned private citizens and state governments will continue to take action."

Just more evidence that the current administration cares absolutley nothing about the illegal immigration problem or the possibility of terrorists sneaking across our wide-open borders for their next attack. Pete

#6 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

In this article: http://money.cnn.com...rants/index.htm , a disturbing banking idea is detailed.

"Banking on illegal immigrants
Banks are seeing an untapped resource in providing home loans to undocumented U.S. residents
August 8, 2005: 3:39 PM EDT
By Shaheen Pasha, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The banking industry is opening its doors to a controversial new market: illegal immigrants.

Despite heated political debate in Washington over illegal immigration in the United States, an increasing number of banks are seeing an untapped resource for growing their own revenue stream and contend that providing undocumented residents with mortgages will help revitalize local communities.

It's a win-win situation, they say.

But skeptics worry about the message these home loans send to illegal immigrants: break our laws and we'll reward you with a home.

"It's institutionalizing illegality," said Marti Dinerstein, president of Immigration Matters, a New York-based think tank. "Now there's no distinction being made between the people that follow all the rules and those who break our laws by entering the country or overstaying their visas." "

Make sure you read the rest of the article, then decide how you feel about it.

I did, and then I used these two links:

http://www.theorator.com/senate.html

http://www.theorator...ment/house.html to find the FAX numbers for my Reps and I fax'd them the following message:

"NO MONEY OR ASSISTANCE FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!

Dear Sir,
I'm writing you today to ask your assistance in getting a halt called to the banking industry's plans to start lending money to illegal aliens to buy homes here with, as related in this article:

http://money.cnn.com...rants/index.htm

Illegal aliens are law-breaker's! There is no sane justification for lending them money to buy homes to which they are not entitled legally to own!

Furthermore, I re-iterate my desire that you look for, write or co-sponsor any and all legislation whose aim to is to DENY illegal aliens ANY form of government assistance, medical, monetary or educational.

They are sucking our medical, educational and welfare systems dry at the expense of legitimate, tax-paying American citizens - and I'd like it STOPPED!

Thank you for your consideration and action on these matters. I will be watching with interest to see how you follow up. (Signed) "

(You can copy and paste that if you feel the same way, and email, call or FAX your own reps with it!). Pete

#7 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:54 AM

Wanna watch a scary filmclip? Go to http://www.foxnews.com/ , click on "Video" and then on the clip entitled "Illegal Illness?"

Yet another compelling reason why the borders must be better controlled - from a health/cost perspective this time. Pete

#8 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:15 AM

http://www.latimes.c...eadlines-nation

"WASHINGTON — The decision by the governors of Arizona and New Mexico to declare states of emergency along their troubled borders with Mexico has embarrassed the Department of Homeland Security, which scrambled Wednesday to defend itself from charges that it wasn't doing enough to combat the crime and violence associated with drug smuggling and illegal immigration.

The unusual action by two Democratic governors and the Bush administration's response reflected the political tensions that surround the nation's conflicting attitudes toward border control.

Last Friday, responding to pressure from border communities, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson declared an emergency in four counties that he said had been "devastated by the ravages and terror of human smuggling, drug smuggling, kidnapping, murder, destruction of property and death of livestock." On Monday, Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano followed suit in four counties, declaring through a spokeswoman that the federal government "has not done what it needs to do and has promised to do" to deal with the problem.

Flake said Washington's efforts to boost the number of Border Patrol agents had failed. An intelligence bill in 2004 authorized 2,000 new border agents for the five years starting in 2006, but "not a dime reached Border Patrol; it was all spent in Washington," he said. When President Bush signed the budget for fiscal year 2006, he authorized Customs and Border Protection to hire 210 additional agents.

"I think the governor's approach was called for," said Sen. Pete V. Domenici (R-N.M.). "I find no fault with it, given the turmoil in these communities along the border. I've spoken with the governor and told him so. We're finally to a boiling point. "

#9 caporal

caporal

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hi there spy1.

So you are concerned about the illegal immigration to the U.S, aren't you?

Do you think that South American and Mexican people go to The States because they like the country?
Of course not, nobody likes to leave their homeland and go blind to other place. Not to mention the difficulties and dangers to do so. Do you know what are the living conditions of the illegal people?

Let's try to take that people's place for a moment.
Why would people be so desperate to risk their lives trying to cross the border through a desert, or to be killed by gunman without any considerateness?
Surely the main reason is that they don't have the minimun survival conditions to develop as worthy human beings in their countries. They can't get a decent job, can't feed themselves or their family, don't have any State attendance. In a word, they lack dignity. So, if they don't have any prospects for the future, why won't they look for a chance in other place?
I learnt at school that immigration was the base for the growth of the american countries, included The States of course, during the 19th and 20th century.
I thought that the U.S. was the land of opportunity... but who can say for sure nowadays.
I can assure you that this is not only their own government's responsibility but also the central countries' one. As long as the powerful contries continue to subjugate the third world nations, things like illegal immigration and terrorism will be impossible to stop.
You don't need to invade a sovereign nation to subjugate it, is enough to control it's economy through international organizations. This in not just my opinion, is a fact.

You won't obtain positive results by trying to carefully guard the border, what it's needed is a radical change of your foreign policy in order to modify the relationship amongst contries. Equality, fraternity, justice, tolerance, respect, all values that seem forgotten by some leaders. Who gives the power to these leaders? Common citizens, of course.
But do people that vote for them really care or know about the real situation outside their countries? You may ask why should, or better say must, they know about this. Well, it's obvious that leaders like Bush, Zapatero, Berlusconi, Blair, or Chirac don't only take decisions that have an effect on their own people, but on the rest of the world.

So, as I said, if the foreign policy of the central countries don't change, these problems will continue to grow.

Thanks for your time.

#10 cheglabratjoe

cheglabratjoe

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

While I certainly agree that any government's -- especially the US gov't -- actions have worldwide ramifications, I'm not willing to go so far as to say "well, the US caused these peoples' poverty, so now they have to deal with them immigrating there." Do I feel that our foreign policy needs more than a little rethinking? That our relationship with every other country on Earth is strained? That these facts are causing us some serious problems? Yes, yes, and yes. But, I fail to see how a new, harmonious diplomacy with Mexico or Brazil will stem the flood of illegal immigrants into the US.

These immigrants, as you said, are desperate for jobs. Companies of all sizes are desperate to cuts costs (ironically, so that the few people pulling the strings will get richer). A match made in heaven, right? Hire immigrants for less money. Heaven for everyone but the people already in the US, that is.

If you ask a politician what the two biggest concerns of the average American are, they will most likely say "Iraq" and "terrorism." However, if you go out on the streets and actually ask average Americans, you will hear "outsourcing" and "immigration."

The ideal picture painted by immigration and outsourcing advocates is that immigrants or overseas workers do the jobs no one wants. Right. Trust me, my father and all his coworkers who were shown the door wanted the computer programming jobs they'd had for decades. Companies say that they are sending "menial computing tasks" to Asia or that immigrants are "doing the jobs no one wants," and then they laugh all the way to the bank after paying an immigrant or a foreign worker half of what they paid an American citizen.

I graduated college in May, and am starting grad school next week. I've yet to have a conversation with one of my friends during which they didn't express at least a little jealously that I'm going on to grad school and they're not. In their eyes, a graduate degree is a ticket to a job that's not going to vanish in five years. Mind you, these aren't jaded 40 year olds fresh off a layoff or uneducated rednecks at a bar, these are 22 year old college educated kids (really, in the scope of things) who are already fretting about job security. That's how serious this is.

spy1, or anyone, is absolutely right to be concerned about immigration (and outsourcing). This isn't the 1870's; there isn't an industrial revolution begging for manpower. There are jobs, and don't hold your breath for new ones. Why open a factory here when you can cut your costs in half opening one in China? Or, better yet, why not send your R&D dep't to China, as the large plastics company I interned for last summer was considering. "Menial" my ass, and, trust me, the PhD polymer scientists I was being a lab monkey for wanted their jobs.

#11 Vikorr

Vikorr

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:25 AM

Hi all

I'm Australian, so I hope you don't mind my comments, as I've always had some interest in this sort of subject.

In relation to poverty, outsourcing, and economics...for companies that compete in a Global Market - when they have to compete against countries that pay their workers MUCH less...there's only a few ways to compete :
1. Be MUCH more effecient at production
2. Produce products of MUCH greater quality (this path is hazardous though)
3. Start paying your workers less
4. Outsource production (often to those lower paid countries)

1 is only reliable until that other country catches up (which it will always do to a degree), 2 is hazardous as it involves greater costs and greater risk on return, and 3 & 4 speak for themselves...so no option is long term good or guaranteed.

Often, what has happened (in certain industries) is, wages in Western countries have stagnated over time, while wages in other countries for the production of the same products have risen (where the wages in the other countries started of much lower)

The same has to be true of industries within the States where there are competing wages between illegal immigrants, and American Citizens...I would say the same for Australia, except we don't have a comparable illegal immigrant problem, and we have a much higher minimum wage that the States (although the Govt is attempting to change the wages structure here...so we may end up going down the same path as the US).

As for poverty in other Countries that have embraced foreign investment by multinationals...their economies have grown at 6 times the rate of countries that did not embrace foreign multinationals <I'm sorry, forgot where I found that stat>

Hope it helps some.

Edited by Vikorr, 14 September 2005 - 03:34 AM.

#12 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

Guys, look - I'm not buying any of that because none of it relates to the central issue I'm trying to address here = BORDER CONTROL .

The fact of the matter is that - here in the U.S. - both our health care and our educational systems are being over-whelmed by hordes of illegals and their children - not to mention the fact that our already-over-flowing prisons are being further burdened by illegals who aren't there (in prison) simply because they're illegals, but because they're committing crimes here!

Why should the American citizens who own the land that the illegals trepass across have to be powerless to prevent it?

Why shouldn't the American government be forced to protect the borders of the country they are sworn to defend from floods of illegal immigrants??

The people of the various countries that are invading our country would do better to revolt in their own countries and get themselves a better deal if things are so bad there instead of relying on the good old U.S.A

Not one of you has answered to the other threat involved - that of a terrorist attack launched in the U.S. by terrorists coming in over our wide-open borders. I'm sure that doesn't concern you - but I can assure you, it concerns me.

Maybe a few of you would like to jump up and down for joy about the amount of drugs that roll into this country across those self-same un-guarded borders? No? Why not! Because that's what you're condoning when you resist the thought of tighter, tougher border controls!

If un-checked, the invasion of this country by illegals will result in the total destruction of the meaning of the term "United States". Besides the fact that it will bankrupt us, it will destroy our identity as a nation, splinter us even worse than we already are and absolutely murder the legitimate American taxpayer - or the legitimate American citizen who needs the social and educational resources that are being devoured in ever-increasing amounts by non-citizens.

The bottom line here is - who's our Constitution designed to protect? Citizens?

Or illegal aliens?

It's a no-brainer, regardless of what others think. Pete

#13 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:09 PM

NEWS RELEASE
CCRKBA EXPRESSES 'CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM' OVER CHERTOFF VOW TO EXPEL ILLEGAL ALIENS
BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA) expressed "cautious optimism" today following Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff's vow that his agency will increase efforts to expel illegal aliens from this country.

CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb last month started a nationwide "Border Control, Not Gun Control" campaign on the heels of a Zogby poll that showed that 70 percent of likely voters believe that tightening security along the nation's borders is far more important to national security than tightening the country's gun laws.

"We're going to want to see just how serious an effort this is," Gottlieb said, "but it is certainly a step in the right direction. Our members have responded overwhelmingly to our campaign to flood the White House with mail and telephone calls. Demand for our ‘Border Control, Not Gun Control' bumper stickers has been phenomenal.

"Frankly," Gottlieb added, "American gun owners are tired of taking the political rap for gun crimes that are being committed by people who shouldn't even be in the country."

Chertoff's promise to the Senate Judiciary Committee is that his agency will put an end to what he called "catch and release" enforcement, and send back "every single illegal entrant, no exceptions." The effort should be fully realized within a year, he said.

However, Chertoff also said the Department of Homeland Security will spend $90 million more in the next budget to increase bed space at detention centers for illegal aliens.

"The idea is not to house these people," Gottlieb said, "but to kick them out of the country, and keep them out. This is a crime control issue, as well as a national security issue. Nearly 30 percent of our state and federal prison population consists of illegal aliens for committing violent crimes, frequently with firearms, and the solution to this problem is to secure our borders, not to pass more gun laws. Law-abiding gun owners know we're in a crisis, and the only answer is border control, not gun control."

-END-

#14 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

If you'll go to this page: http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/ and click on the "Bush deplores "too many" illegals" video link, you'll be able to hear his latest radio address on the issue.

The story itself is here: http://www.cnn.com/2...o.ap/index.html

At least it's a start - it's been signed into law and the money allocated.

One can only hope it's enough. Pete

#15 spy1

spy1

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:41 PM

GOP mulls ending birthright citizenship

By Stephen Dinan
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
November 4, 2005
http://www.washtimes...15741-1048r.htm

House Republicans are looking closely at ending birthright citizenship and building a barrier along the entire U.S.-Mexico border as they search for solutions to illegal immigration.

"There is a general agreement about the fact that citizenship in this country should not be bestowed on people who are the children of folks who come into this country illegally," said Rep. Tom Tancredo, Colorado Republican, who is participating in the "unity dinners," the group of Republicans trying to find consensus on immigration.

Several lawmakers said the U.S. and Mexico are the only major Western countries to have birthright citizenship. Most European countries have moved away from birthright citizenship in recent decades.

Meanwhile, the idea of a fence or other barrier also is gaining support. At this week's "unity dinner," House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, Illinois Republican, said he supports a barrier system of fences in some places and electronic surveillance or vehicle barriers in others, one participant said.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button