Internet Security Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LukaBuka

LukaBuka

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

Is there a benefit to getting track eraser and anonymous surfing internet security software like GhostSurf Platinum ? Is it really worth the money and do they provide adequate protection?

#2 Vikorr

Vikorr

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:06 AM

Is there a benefit to getting track eraser and anonymous surfing internet security software like GhostSurf Platinum ? Is it really worth the money and do they provide adequate protection?

View Post

Hi there. Just curious why you wish to use an Anonymous Proxy ?

The reason I ask, is, having read some sites that sell them...the vast majority of what the marketting they use to sell them is pure hype.

I don't know if this applies to Ghostsurfer Platinum, but a few things about Anon Proxies that you need to know :
-Anonymous Proxies slow your surfing speed down
-Many aren't truly anonymous (can be bypassed sometimes, by java applets)
-The information leaving your computer to the proxy itself isn't always encrypted

About hackers :
-it is very, very unlikely they are interested specifically in you...
-...unless you annoy a script kiddie in a chat room...this may be the one time an Anon Proxy is good
-near all 'hacks' occur through driveby downloads, or through you downloading an infected program. Anon proxies cannot prevent these.

About Privacy :
- IP address doesn't mean anything - it doesn't provide your name or street address to people...so the reality is, no one knows who you are anyway...whatever anon proxies argue.

Without Anon Proxy
-Govt can identify you
-Script kiddies 'may' be able to identify you...<and then only in the unikely event that you've somehow annoyed them>...in any event, a proper security setup should prevent this
- Most anyone can identify your IP

With Anon Proxy
-Govt can identify you
- Most everyone else can't identify your IP

Nb : the Govt would actually have to be interested in you to do this....highly unlikely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I see very little benefit in using an Anonymous Proxy
- slow surf speed / doesn't stop most hacks / some are flawed / Privacy net benefit is debatable

...still...everyone feels differently about this issue of anonymity.

Edited by Vikorr, 05 September 2005 - 06:11 AM.

#3 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:40 AM

View Post

Use Tor instead and see how you like it first.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#4 0wolfgang

0wolfgang

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

You'll do much better if you download yourseft Firefox browser :-)

Regards!

------
Online Druckerei

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button