Hardware Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jeeperscreepers

jeeperscreepers

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:20 PM

I would appreciate some opinions/suggestions re:hardware firewalls. Do you have one? Would you recommend using one, and, if so, what type? I have been considering getting one, but am unfamiliar with them and would like to hear what the experts think.
Thanks in advance-
Lee

#2 Gooberpooh

Gooberpooh

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

I wont be on the net without a hardware firewall. I also use Zone alarm to contain any vermin from calling out. I use adaware, hijackthis, and avast anti-virus that regularly identify virus' and trojans. No I don't visit risky sites ... but I do have 3 teen agers.

#3 jeeperscreepers

jeeperscreepers

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:02 AM

Gooberpooh-

I appreciate your reply! I, too, have what I believe to be a good array of "software
defenses", but would like to add a hardware firewall as well.

May I ask what type/model of router you have? There are many to choose from, and I'm thinking that there may be one or two favored by those who use them.

Again, thanks for the response-
Best regards,
Lee

#4 Gooberpooh

Gooberpooh

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

I've used LinkSys and DLink - right now it's DLink. I like them both, but I like the DLink interface better - a bit more intuitive, and DLink was less expensive. I replaced my wireless LinkSys (B) with a wireless DLink (G) because I wanted the increased bandwidth of the 802.11g, and the newer routers have WPA authentication - apparently WEP is easily cracked - only an issue for wireless. Wireless or wired (cat5) ... I would go with the best sale. A friend at work picked up a SMC wireless for $15 - a great deal, and he is happy with it. My Dilink was $45 but came with a wireless USB adapter for my laptop.

#5 jeeperscreepers

jeeperscreepers

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:38 AM

Gooberpooh-

Once again, thanks for the info. I will check out those brands, especially with the WPA authentication. Wonder if I should get wireless since I am anticipating a wireless home network sometime in the near future? That is probably what I will do.

Appreciate your input!
All the best-
Lee

#6 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:24 AM

I use a Belkin "wired" router -- it works well as a hardware firewall! :p
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#7 jeeperscreepers

jeeperscreepers

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

Wreck-

Thanks for your reply. I am obviously inexperienced with routers/firewalls, but I was under the impression that it was typical for a router to have a built in firewall? Still in the process of figuring out what's best for me.

Again--I appreciate your response.

Lee

#8 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

I'm no expert, but I believe that most routers that come out now are indeed hardware firewalls usung "SPI" protection. Like Gooberpooh said, these hardware firewalls prevent incoming attacks very well, but DO allow programs you run to "phone out" if your careful!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#9 jeeperscreepers

jeeperscreepers

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

Wreck-

So using a hardware firewall in concert with a software firewall (to prevent any "nasties" from phoning home to the mothership) should provide pretty good protection!
Thanks again for your comments-

#10 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:36 PM

:D Yep! :!:

#11 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:48 AM

I'm no expert, but I believe that most routers that come out now are indeed hardware firewalls usung "SPI" protection. Like Gooberpooh said, these hardware firewalls prevent incoming attacks very well, but DO allow programs you run to "phone out" if your careful!

View Post

Actually wreck, cheap SOHO routers have NAT. This is kind of like Stateful packet inspection. But the term SPI itself is somewhat disputed and it seems there are many different levels of it.....
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button