Spyware via children websites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bournemouth123

Bournemouth123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:54 AM

I have a scheduled daily scan by Spy Sweeper. Normally, the scan indicates I am clean (I mean my machine is clean!).

However.......whenever the kids have been using the machine, Spy Sweeper ALWAYS finds something to warn me about ... and my kids are young, don't go browsing around, and stick to a few favourite sites such as CBBC, Bratz, Funky Friends, Barbie, Polly Pocket, etc (guess the gender of the kids).

Is it normal for kids' sites to be used like this to get spyware onto machines? In the experience of others, is this stuff likely to be 'harmless'? - at the moment I just tell Spy Sweeper to delete everything it finds after the kids have finished.

:rant: I'm not very technical about spyware, browser hijacking, etc - being a VMS fan, I am just astonished at how easy it seems to be for someone outside to install malware that can actually bring a machine down, or make such incredible changes to the operating system!

#2 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:41 PM

With Windows XP we created a limited user account for the grandkids and made sure the browser was set to tightest security. They were told if they couldn't access a particular site they weren't allowed to go there. There are plenty other children's sites for them to surf. Before we did that, my 12 y/o granddaughter managed to bring in a few goodies I had to clean up.
Now if only I could train her father to stay away from those "other" sites. :hmmm: LOL

I have a scheduled daily scan by Spy Sweeper. Normally, the scan indicates I am clean (I mean my machine is clean!).

However.......whenever the kids have been using the machine, Spy Sweeper ALWAYS finds something to warn me about ... and my kids are young, don't go browsing around, and stick to a few favourite sites such as CBBC, Bratz, Funky Friends, Barbie, Polly Pocket, etc (guess the gender of the kids).

Is it normal for kids' sites to be used like this to get spyware onto machines? In the experience of others, is this stuff likely to be 'harmless'? - at the moment I just tell Spy Sweeper to delete everything it finds after the kids have finished.

:rant: I'm not very technical about spyware, browser hijacking, etc - being a VMS fan, I am just astonished at how easy it seems to be for someone outside to install malware that can actually bring a machine down, or make such incredible changes to the operating system!

View Post

#3 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:33 AM

Hi there :)

Unfortunately, the scumbags are targeting children. See This article.

Since SpySweeper has been finding stuff on your computer, you may want to post a HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum so we can see if there's anything that might be leftover.

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#4 Bournemouth123

Bournemouth123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:38 AM

Many thanks for the suggestions. That article seems pretty good confirmation of my suspicion!

I will track the spyware and where SpySweeper says it comes from, and see if a HijackThis log is worth posting for others to think about. I am surprised at the cleanup I need to do after they have visited supposed big-name reputable sites! I will also add it as a case study in my teaching!

Noting the suggestions by Shellsworld, I have separate XP accounts for each kid, but I have not yet locked them down with overwhelming security! At the moment, I suspect that might stop them from visiting anything! Luckily, SpySweeper does not say it has found anything very nasty! ... but then my technical skills are really not sufficient to make a proper judgment about that - so I will try to be very specific about what is being found, and see what others think.

Hi there :)

Unfortunately, the scumbags are targeting children.  See This article.

Since SpySweeper has been finding stuff on your computer, you may want to post a HijackThis log in the Malware Removal forum so we can see if there's anything that might be leftover.

-- LB

View Post

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,522 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:08 AM

If you set them up with FireFox, it can block a lot of the garbage you are encountering... Set it to block most cookies, run NoScript and look for some of the other extensions that provide automatic security... It is not foolproof, but it is better than IE...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 Professor Bob

Professor Bob

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:56 PM

Isn't it aggravating how some companies try to take advantage of kids (as well as many of us who are trying to learn enough to keep up with them ... kids too). :grrr: You might want to try SpywareBlaster as well as going ito IE, clicking on Tools & then Internet Options. You can then then click on the Privacy tab & select Block all 'Cookies' or the 'Content' tab & use 'Content Advisor' to block sites you don't want your kids visiting (not sure of what version you're running). You'll still want to keep IE updated for all critical issues even if you're usng Firefox/Mozilla. You can also customize your 'Security' settings by clicking on that tab in the Internet Options window. Don't use the default settings there ... too many loopholes there. Unfortunately, nothing is a perfect fix in this world and it will require work to keep ahead of the junk out there. Last note, be sure to check for updates with Windows (especially) & any spyware/adware programs you're running. I've been running Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, Spybot S & D and SpywareBlaster. Also, make sure your AntiVirus program has the latest .dat files. Hopefully, we we'll be able to defeat these users & abusers soon! :rant:

#7 micaman

micaman

Malware Hunter

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:45 AM

There are laws protecting children under the age of 13. You can bring some serious heat to a website that breaks these rules. When you operate a "general site" or a site directed towards children, things are much different. And if your computer receives x-rated spam that your 13 and under users can see, they have "flashed" your children and there are things you can do about it. For more information on these and other laws, along with resources to government sites for fighting back, visit:
http://www.micaspeci...internetlaw.htm and inform yourself about your rights while surfing the web. While there, submit the bad sites and M.I.C.A. will research & take action against these websites. Malware should not be connected with children's sites.

Listen to "Budfred" and install FireFox for more enjoyable and secure web surfing. When Internet Explorer 7 comes out, you may be able to go back to I.E., but that's a entirely new subject.

Education is the answer to the malware mess. Do not spend money with the sites that use it, and better yet - tell them you will not spend your money where this type of abuse is being employed by their websites.

:bangbang:

#8 No_Master

No_Master

Ready to Rumble

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:34 AM

I can hardly believe so many people r highjacked... but unfortunately it is true...

Why is MS so unsecured?
When there will be nothing more to eat, we'll finally understand money isn't that good... but too late! >_<

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button