Sick of Norton AntiVirus

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RipTorn

RipTorn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

I've been a NAV user for a number of years now and each version it keeps getting bigger and slower. I'm ready to switch to a new program. I'm looking at NOD32, AVG, BitDefender and Kaspersky. I'm looking for some opinions and experiences from others.

Thanks
Rip

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:47 AM

I like AVG Its light on resouces, and I am too mean to pay for anything, if i can get if free
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 Avohir

Avohir

Computer Exorcist

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:12 PM

if you dont want to pay, go with AVG, hands down

if you do want to pay, I reccomend NOD32 or Kaspersky. NOD32 is faster than Kaspersky, but Kaspersky has marginally better detection rates, it depends on your preference
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer
Donate to keep the site alive

Posted Image

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:07 PM

if you dont want to pay, go with AVG, hands down

if you do want to pay, I reccomend NOD32 or Kaspersky.  NOD32 is faster than Kaspersky, but Kaspersky has marginally better detection rates, it depends on your preference

Hi There is also Avast Antivirus which is also free, has a good record, and a very good forum for help if you do get stuck, works with all other programs.
I build computers,install windows XP Home Edition all updates and SP2 added,windows firewall backed up by Avast Antivirus Pro, Microsoft AniSpyware, Yahoo AntiSpyware, Ad-Awaware SE Plus, Ad-Watch SE Plus, CCleaner, Windows Registry Repair Pro, and WinPatrol 9.7 Beta. These all work together well keeping this computer and any other computers I build or look after free from crashes, and the dreaded blue screen. but need to learn more about malware and viruses.

#5 bpm3k

bpm3k

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:57 PM

If you go the free route look at AntiVir and Avast for real time protection; both programs have better detection rates than AVG. Then for your on-demand scans you can use BitDefender 8 Free Edition (it doesn't offer realtime protection, BUT has better detection rates than the big 3 free AVs).

If you want to pay; I would purchase Kaspersky.

#6 wiryd

wiryd

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:09 AM

Avast. Started using it two years ago and I will never go back. Hands down the best and its completely free.

#7 lamchopz

lamchopz

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:41 AM

I agree with wiryd. Been thru NAV, CA (e-Trust) Vet and AVG but Avast! is simply the best.

The Home Edition is completely free (there's a catch, however: as with any antivirus program, you have to register. But it's worth it. Avast! Home Edition is the only free antivirus that comes with email support and assistance in the forum. For other brands such as AVG and Bitdefender, you can only ask for help in their forums). The AutoUpdate is excellent (Since installation, I have never thought of updating it - it's done immediately when new defs are available) and you can even change its interface (skin) - free skins available for download from their website http://www.avast.com.

#8 baz

baz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:37 AM

Another vote for Avast. I not only find it an effective program, but I'm amazed by their customer service, especially since it's a freebie. About two months ago, I was having a relatively minor problem that no one on the Avast forum could help me with (not for lack of trying, though). I figured, what the heck, I'll send an e-mail through Avast's contact link, never really expecting an answer, since I was using the free version. Well, I had an answer later that day -- and then another and another to each of my replies. The guy who responded was a big help, and I was shocked. I've rarely had such good customer service, even for apps I pay for.

PS: Good luck, Rip, untangling your system from NAV's tentacles, especially if you've updated the versions through the years. You'll probably have to download NAV's uninstaller, and then follow this absurd uninstallation maze that would have made Rube Goldberg proud. That's what I had to do. It took some time, and when I was finally done, I felt as if I'd conquered Everest. The way NAV gets its weed-like claws into everything is a disgrace.

Edited by baz, 21 August 2005 - 10:44 AM.

#9 RipTorn

RipTorn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

I downloaded and installed Avast this weekend. I thought I would give it a try. Even if it does not work as well as I expect, at least it felt good to uninstall Norton....

I think I uninstalled NAV, after reading baz's post now I'm not sure. The Icon disappeared from the system tray and I don't see any evidence of NAV in my HJT logs. Are there additional steps required to completely ininstall NAV? I have not even had it a year, well almost a year now.

My new laptop came with NIS installed so now I have to uninstall that beast as well.

Thanks for all of the input and comments. I was hoping there was AV programs out there better that McAfee and NAV. The company I work for uses Sophos, I'm not sure how that one rates up against the ones mentioned in this thread.

--Rip

Edited by RipTorn, 22 August 2005 - 03:11 PM.

#10 sysk167

sysk167

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:31 AM

I downloaded and installed Avast this weekend. I thought I would give it a try. Even if it does not work as well as I expect, at least it felt good to uninstall Norton....

I think I uninstalled NAV, after reading baz's post now I'm not sure. The Icon disappeared from the system tray and I don't see any evidence of NAV in my HJT logs. Are there additional steps required to completely ininstall NAV? I have not even had it a year, well almost a year now.

My new laptop came with NIS installed so now I have to uninstall that beast as well.

Thanks for all of the input and comments. I was hoping there was AV programs out there better that McAfee and NAV. The company I work for uses Sophos, I'm not sure how that one rates up against the ones mentioned in this thread.

--Rip

At this page http://www.symantec.com/search/ at Symantec I just filled in "uninstall +norton" (no quotes) & get several answers. I did this because I helped a friend 2 years ago to get rid of Norton on a machine with ME. It was nearly impossible to do it. But this way I found a uninstall-toll + instr to fix the Register after the toll have done it's job. Be aware to find the rigth toll. They have several different tools so...
PS. I got a new PC with NIS2005 8.0 3-month testversion pre-installed OEM-version. I also get a 3 year pre-paid version on DVD. I had to uninstall the OEM-version myself & install the full version. So far everything is OK & it works very vell ..so far...finger crossed.

#11 baz

baz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:59 AM

Sounds as if you got it all, Rip. If you uninstalled it through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel (@#$! Symantec doesn't include its own way to uninstall NAV), you'd know if it wasn't working. (That's what happened with me.) If things went smoothly for you, great!

Hope you like Avast. And, if you don't, it's free. It's also easily uninstalled if you wish to switch to AVG or another freebie. As I said, though, I like it a lot.

#12 theazn25

theazn25

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

i say AVG, AVG is good

#13 murdoc24

murdoc24

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:45 PM

I'm using bitdefender , kaspersky is more faster, but for my case I rather have a slower, effective antivirus, than a fast but uneffective, not that I say kaspersky is not effective, but in this Link you will find why I prefer bitdefender, have a look at it.

#14 koiron

koiron

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:30 AM

ZoneAlarm w/ Antivirus... $20
Light on resources
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>-Koiron</span>
Microsoft Security At Home
Stay Safe Online - National Cyber Security Alliance

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button