3 replies to this topic

#1 sari

sari

Domestic goddess of spyware

• Ambassador
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

I'm currently evaluating anti-virus solutions for a Windows 2003 server with MS Exchange. I currently run Norton Corporate Edition, but as I'm upgrading to a new server and my subscription is expiring, I'd like to explore other options. I'm looking at NOD32 and Panda, among others, and just wondered if anybody has any useful input one way or the other. I'm looking primarily for reliability and response to new threats, plus the ability to push updates automatically to users with no intervention. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

:D

sari
No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#2 tj416

tj416

Malware Killer

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

I personally use NOD32 and I would definitely recommend it. It's give a 5 star rating here and it has been awarded at many other places too.
Terrin

Spyware Times - Security news and support at your fingertips.

Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals and the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators.

Removal Tools: HijackThis | CWShredder | LSP Fix | Pocket KillBox | Ad-aware SE Personal | Spybot S&D
Anti-virus Programs: AVG Anti-virus | avast! Home Edition
Firewalls: ZoneAlarm | Kerio Personal Firewall | Sygate Personal Firewall
Prevention Tools: SpywareBlaster | SpywareGuard | MVPS Hosts File | IE-SPYAD
Online Scanners: Housecall | Panda Active Scan
File Scanners: Jotti's malware scan | Virus Total
Excellent Articles: So how do I get infected in the first place? by Tony Klein | Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products and Websites by Eric L. Howes | Passwords and how to create them by Bobbi Flekman | Making Internet Explorer Safer by Bobbi Flekman | Stopping Viruses, Worms And Trojan Horses by Bobbi Flekman

Please help support this site with a donation.

"For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:13 (NLT)

#3 mitchshrader

mitchshrader

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:18 AM

I've used Kaspersky's Anti-Virus 2 years , Server Edition, on win2k server.

I have no complaints, or desire to try another anti-virus.

This program was chosen after much testing as the ONLY alternative to NOD32...

The scan speed (manual) is less. The resource use (footprint) is slightly more in background use, (not hugely significant to ME).

KAV scans slower than NOD32. On virus updates it's a toss up. Both are excellent. On certain trojan exploits, KAV is slightly more robust than NOD32. Both have an exemplary record on virus ID in the wild.

As I am experienced and comfortable with the record of KAV, I have no desire to change programs. It's trustworthy, robust, and rapidly updated.

To the best of my knowledge, there is NO other choice, which disregards these two scan engines, that exceeds their performance. There is, however, a new program (not tested yet by me) .. that uses BitDefender engine *and* KAV engine. While it would seem this would slow performance, it also offers a 2nd set of virus defs, and heuristic filters, that likely would marginally improve recognition of the newest exploits.

My recommendation would be for anyone considering a program purchase: Nod32 for freestanding, espcecially if there was a resource bottleneck on a workstation.. and KAV for network use, (as I know for a fact it's stable and reliable under those conditions)..

As both programs have a free trial, and I have received responses from both companies to emails, my sincere recommendation is to try both programs in an enterprise setting to make an informed decision. It seems to me that the speed of performance is less significant than the reliability of the protection.

Were I the person responsible for an enterprise's security, I would not make a decision based entirely (nor even mostly) on scanning speed.

Edited by mitchshrader, 28 August 2005 - 10:27 AM.

Helpers Rules (as I see 'em)
First, Do No Harm!
Second, Use Known Good (canned) Fixes when possible.
Third, Get Help From Others when not positive of your answer.
Fourth, Do Not Recommend complex procedures without verifying the skill of the user to accomplish necessary tasks.
Fifth, Specify optional removals as 'Users Choice'.
Sixth, Give Credit for info and assistance.
Last, BE POLITE. Especially when it is most difficult.

#4 0wolfgang

0wolfgang

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

I recommend Kaspersky as well, it's probably the best suite around...

------
Flyer Druck

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button