• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 joubster

joubster

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:52 PM

Hello,

I have a 2 year old T2692 eMachine Desktop pc that will not start/boot up. After starting it up and setting up an IM away message, the monitor screen went black and the system turned off. It was only running for a few minutes. When I tried restarting it, the fan will start, but only stay running for a few seconds and then shuts down. The monitor will try to turn on, but will go off after a couple of seconds. The light around the switch in the front of the system stays on, but I do not hear the hard disk. I tried unplugging and replugging, but it does not help. Could it be the power supply or mother board?? Any cheap way out of this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Anybody have this same problem with an emachine???

Joubster...

#2 macaroo

macaroo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

Check the CPU heatsink. Sounds like the heatsink has broken loose and the CPU chip is overheating quickly.

#3 joubster

joubster

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:36 PM

Thanks,

I'll open it up and take a look...

Joubster

Check the CPU heatsink. Sounds like the heatsink has broken loose and the CPU chip is overheating quickly.

View Post

#4 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

Hello :)

Before tackling the hardware, ensure that you have anti-static precautions. If you were inside the box before these problems and you didn't use such precautions, it could be the reason for the failures. See [here] for anti-static advice.

What you should also check is that the fan's power cable is actually connected to the motherboard. If not, you should see a small socket that looks to fit the connector that will have, next to it printed on the board, "CPUFAN" or similar.

HTH,
M_M

#5 joubster

joubster

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. The problem occured while I was using the computer. I did make sure I was grounded prior to opening the case. I also opened up the power supply and I didn't notice any blown caps etc. I reattached all of the power cables including the fan, but it didn't help.

GJ

Hello :)

Before tackling the hardware, ensure that you have anti-static precautions. If you were inside the box before these problems and you didn't use such precautions, it could be the reason for the failures. See [here] for anti-static advice.

What you should also check is that the fan's power cable is actually connected to the motherboard. If not, you should see a small socket that looks to fit the connector that will have, next to it printed on the board, "CPUFAN" or similar.

HTH,
M_M

View Post

#6 paradisi

paradisi

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

I'm having a similar problem--only when I turn on my machine (a 2002 homebrew system running xp sp1) I get a notice saying hard disk failure and asking which disk to boot from. I can get to setup and all looks fine, but it won't boot. There is a buzzy clicking, then the error screen.

Yet if I wait a few minutes and then unplug (the power button won't respond then) /replug and restart, all is fine. Runs fine all day, no corrupted data and will reboot warm just fine and the power button works. I run antivirus and anti spyware and have never found a virus or trojan, etc. Seems worse as the weather gets colder (takes longer running before the unplug/replug results in a successful boot up).

Suggestions? Miraculous answers?
Thanks--------

#7 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:59 PM

Ok, I'm going to start my own thread about this but just something to check under the category of "miraculous answers".

I just got an eMachines too with WinXP home edition, and if my SanDisk Cruzer mini stick is plugged into a USB port when I boot up, it gets past the boot up but doesn't make it to the logon screen. Black screen, monitor is on, computer is on, but no joy.

I wouldn't worry about the fans cycling down right after boot up. Mine does that too. The fans come on when needed, or something clever like that. If I take the memory stick out before booting, no problems.

Hope this helps...

Tab

#8 joubster

joubster

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:19 PM

Good luck on the new thread. I ended up trying a new PS only to find out it must be a blown mobo or bad PS & mobo combo. Looks like I'm off to buy a better system and salvage my HDD/RAM& drives...I was told E-Machines have a life expectancy of only 1 1/2 to 2 yrs...that's why they're sooo cheap. Hope you have better luck with your system.

Joubster

Ok, I'm going to start my own thread about this but just something to check under the category of "miraculous answers".

I just got an eMachines too with WinXP home edition, and if my SanDisk Cruzer mini stick is plugged into a USB port when I boot up, it gets past the boot up but doesn't make it to the logon screen.  Black screen, monitor is on, computer is on, but no joy.

I wouldn't worry about the fans cycling down right after boot up.  Mine does that too.  The fans come on when needed, or something clever like that.  If I take the memory stick out before booting, no problems.

Hope this helps...

Tab

View Post

#9 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:03 PM

I have only had my computer for 3 weeks and I don't like it. #1 I had to make my own recovery CDs. When I called e-machines tech support about the cruzer problem, they just wanted to reinstall my OS - if you ask me they just didn't want to troubleshoot the problem and if the solution isn't totally obvious they just tell you the OS is corrupted insert your restore CDs, and oh, you want to back up your data first? oh ok. :grrr: I could tell even I knew more about computers than the person on the phone.

Anyway, ranting aside, I have always loved my Cyberpower system computers. The CD-ROM drive only lasted a year on 2 of them but the main system on my most recent one lasted about 3 years, death by overheating, probably preventable. They seem pricier but I am certainly regretting going cheap now.

www.cyberpowersystem.com :wub:

good luck joubster

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button