Computer Crash?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Satsume

Satsume

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:02 PM

I came home and there was a blue screen on the laptop monitor that wouldn't leave. So I decided to shut down using the power button. When I tried booting back up, it told me:

"Primary hard disk drive not found
Fixed optical drive not found

No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

This has never happened to me, so I'm not sure what it is. Is my computer dead? Is all the information on my hard drive gone forever?

#2 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:20 AM

Hi there :)

Not a nice message that. I know how you feel...my hard-drive gave up on me recently so I've devolved to Win98 :(

Are you familiar with the inside of your computer by any chance? If so, and also assuming you have anti-static precautions (see [here] for advice), open up your box and check to see that all the cables, particularly for the hard-drive of course, are correctly connected. I must say though, they are usually stuck quite firm when connected, so it's not likely that they've come loose, but if you feel comfortable with poking around inside the machine, it's worth checking it out.

[EDIT] Just realised you have a laptop...I've never opened one up before so I don't know how easy it is to add/remove hardware.

Regards,
M_M

Edited by Mere_Mortal, 20 September 2005 - 09:21 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button