win xp pc wont start

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dame

Dame

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

How much trouble am i in. A few days ago I kind of went on a bit of a "free some space up" mad one on my girlfriends mothers computer!! I have since worked out i must have deleted the file ntldr as it is missing, hence i cannot start windows. Her pc has xp running on it, i think its professional, and i havent got a clue what to do. even though i sit there like i know what im doing! its not booting from anything else and i didnt install a new harddrive. i tried to make a bootable floppy but failed - non system disk! should i just buy an xp bootable cd or is there something a lot easier and cheaper i could do.
thanks.
Damian

#2 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

Hi there, Welcome to SWI :)

The good thing is, you'll hopefully have learnt not to do the same thing again! I've been there, in similar fashions ;)

Anyways, can you boot to the Safe Mode options? To do that (hopefully), keep tapping F8 when the first screen shows after booting. Select from the menu (assuming it appears) "Command Prompt" (just that, not Safe Mode or other).

Let me know if you can get this far and I will look into ways to copy over this file to where it should be.

Regards,
M_M

#3 Dame

Dame

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

hello there, i have tried to boot to safe mode but pressing f8 wouldnt work, i also tried every button and combinations but i cant get to safe mode. ??? bummer!!

#4 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

Hmm...I'm not sure what to do at the moment. Hey, I tell you one possibility...if by chance you have another hard-drive and that the computer will accept hooking another one onto it (and assuming you or someone else knows the inside of computers), you could always acquire, say a Windows 98 disc (they go relatively cheap on eBay), to install it onto this other HD, running that as the main bootable disk, then having the broken one as a slave. That way, you should be able to access the data and even copy a new NTLDR file onto it. Since the slave will not be bootable, it shouldn't need this file unless it is the master.

If the computer does not accept using a slave drive, you could always purchase a SCSI PCI controller and a SCSI disk to attach to it. It may be costly, but it really does come down to how much important data is on this broken disk. Saying that, you will really only need a hard-drive of at least 350 megabytes, or 500MB to be safe, just to install Win98, so that shouldn't cost much.

All in all, if you do decide to go with fitting another hard-drive...you shouldn't need to spend more than 20 (or equivalent) on a PCI card, a compatible hard-drive for that card and a Win98 disc.

What country are you at, if you don't mind my asking?

Edited by Mere_Mortal, 21 September 2005 - 02:42 PM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button