External drive problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 juzz3

juzz3

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:07 AM

I was gone on a mission, while in Iraq and i allowed my buddy to use my computer while I was gone. When I got back my external harddrive used to be assigned the "F" when i looked at in my compouter or anything was shortcutted to that Drive. Now it is assigned as the "G" drive and I was wondering if there was a way of assigning that drive the "F" letter again. Therefore, stopping me from ahving to change all my shortcuts to all my programs i am running from that drive. It is USB. I am running windows XP.

#2 jackmor

jackmor

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:14 AM

First you have to plug-in the USB hard drive, then just go to My Computer properties, Device Manager, USB Hard Drive properties, Settings. Set the drive letter range to F and F and restart the computer.

This will fix your problem.

#3 juzz3

juzz3

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:02 PM

Well, i tried that I didn't find a spot a setting button or tab anywhere. So i couldn't change it? An other options..

#4 jackmor

jackmor

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

Lets try again, have your USB drive connected and running, then Right click [My Computer], Click [Manage] to open the Computer Management Console. In the top or lower right pane, right click the disk you want to change. Fixed drives appear in the top and bottom pane. Removable drives appear in the bottom pane unless they have media inserted in which case they appear in both the upper and lower pane. Select [Change Drive Letter and Path], Click [Change], Select the new letter from the drop down list box and click [OK]

Good luck,
Jack.

Edited by jackmor, 18 September 2005 - 06:59 PM.

#5 juzz3

juzz3

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:44 AM

Thanks Jack got it that time.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button