5 replies to this topic

#1 Adeel

Adeel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:28 PM

Hi
The problem i am having with my computer is that my computer does not boot up at all and the monitor just shows the black screen. I have checked all the RAM, Data cable for monitor and other cables but it does not show up any thing.
The only thing i did was i change the processor but i then fixed it back at its right place and processor do starts up as i turn on the power as its fan works.
Also is there any method to reset every thing of the computer even if it is not showing any display ( i mean from the hardware point of view).
Thanx

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:42 PM

The only thing i did was i change the processor

Did you use new thermal paste when you did?

If not, remove the heatsink, and clean it and also the processor
Then use new thermal compound. Istructions can be found http://www.arcticsil...nstructions.htm
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 Adeel

Adeel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:32 AM

Hi
Actually the processor i removed was old one which doesn use thermal paste and its just sort of pins inserted into socket. Also before doing that i tried to change the clock speed manually using bios so wheni finished dooing it and restart the computer the screen goes blank so that i wont be able to undo the changes i made in bios. So i guess it has nothing to do with processor changing as i change the processor afterwards.
bye

#4 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

Any processor needs thermal paste between the processor and the heatsink.
If you did not, the processor could be toast!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#5 Adeel

Adeel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:10 AM

Hi
Ok i will see about it. Anyways thanx for ur help.

#6 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:25 PM

The thermal paste is essential, but also, when upgrading to a different speed of processor, the ratio of bus-to-CPU speed needs be changed as well, or it won't boot. The motherboard manual should be of assistance in this regard; failing this, and assuming a Socket 7 CPU, try to select the ratio so that the bus (PCI) speed is 66MHz. This is the standard, and from there you can experiment with higher bus speeds, at (usually) less stability of the system. Even with a manual, its often not easy to get it set right (because of unclear instructions for the jumpers).
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button