Hide IP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bekran

Bekran

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

Hi everybody i need help. There is a chat program called paltalk. I downloaded this chat program some time ago.

When i am chatting there are also operators in the room and my relations with one of them is very bad, therefore I changed my nickname and got another one. But this operator keeps knowing that it is me even though i got a new nickname. How does he know my IP?

How does he know my IP during the chat? He mentioned some like 'NETSTAT'. I read something on the internet that if you view the camera of the operator they can know your IP. Can they not know your IP normally if you don't view their camera.

I want to know if I can stop this person identifying me by preventing him from knowing my IP.

The cheap and free proxy program doesn't seem to work.

I have XP SP. AMD athlon

please help meee i am fed up with this operator.

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

To my knowledge, its not possible to "hide" your IP on the net, except through the well-established means of proxies, et cetra; otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect to any other website, or service. If paltalk is revealing your IP to other users, you have no choice but to take up another chat programme.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#3 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

Malware Fyta

• PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

Bekran, let me explain a few things to you. Remember that by no means am I an expert in any regard on computer subjects.

There are two different IP addresses for each individual computer.
There is an internal IP, and an external IP.
The internal IP is the one you want to keep secret, the one that hackers can use against you to hack you. The external IP is the one that cannot be hidden unless you use a proxy server and connect through their IP instead of yours. The external IP is fine to be showing...hackers cannot use that against you really. When you connect to a chat applet the ops can see what IP you are using...that is legal and fine. They see your external IP when you connect and can also do a WHOIS in chat (at least at bc.com chat) to see your hostname with IP.
This is fine, do not worry about it. I have never heard of cameras spying on your IP...this is possible if your webcam got infected with spyware but otherwise probably not likely...unless someone put surveillance software on your comp without your knowing.

To sum up, its nothing to be worried about. They will always know who you are. If your proxy works, every time you connect it will show the same proxy External IP, unless you set multiple proxy servers to connect at different times, and then each time you will have a different IP. If you REALLY suspect that someone is stalking you or out to get you...then I suggest you purchase a high anonymitiy proxy server that has multiple IP's and research a lot into privacy on the web, as well as never giving out your personal info.

Just my 2 centavos =D

#4 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

Bekran, let me explain a few things to you.  Remember that by no means am I an expert in any regard on computer subjects.

There are two different IP addresses for each individual computer. 

Not for all. For most people with direct access to the net, they only have one ip address. Well two if you count loopback, but that's doesn't count...

There is an internal IP, and an external IP.
The internal IP is the one you want to keep secret, the one that hackers can use against you to hack you.  The external IP is fine to be showing...hackers cannot use that against you really.

Actually this is totally wrong. Your "external ip" is exactly what allows a hacker to single you out and attack you directly.

I'm not sure if you fully understand the concept of NAT (which is the reason why most people here have internal ips), but I would point out that most people's internal ip is actually in the reserved network range, and routers are supposed to drop packets addressed to such reserved range, so it is difficult if not impossible to use such information.

A hacker who only has your internal ip of the form say 192.168.x.x would have ZERO chance of attacking you without also knowing your external ip address. A hacker who only has your external ip would have to get thru your NAT, and even in that case, your internal address helps only a little.

When you connect to a chat applet the ops can see what IP you are using...that is legal and fine.  They see your external IP when you connect and can also do a WHOIS in chat (at least at bc.com chat) to see your hostname with IP. 
This is fine, do not worry about it.  I have never heard of cameras spying on your IP...this is possible if your webcam got infected with spyware but otherwise probably not likely...unless someone put surveillance software on your comp without your knowing.

Essentially right here.

Something trival, I'm not sure what you mean by web cams "spying on your ip", but it seems to me that if you connect and download data from a web cam, it will have to have your ip right? Same for web browsing.

IM services are the exception since in most cases barring Direction connection between users, you connect via the IM server, so the user you are chatting to doesn't have to get your ip directly.

IRC servers are similar except, all irc servers announce your ip address, and the existence of the whois command , so your ip address is not hidden.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#5 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

Malware Fyta

• PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:46 PM

You are right, I dont know 100 percent of what i am talking about...heh. Thanks for correcting me, ill try not to say things that I dont know in the future.

#6 Chocomandan

Chocomandan

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:52 AM

I know one way to stop people seeing your Real IP adress, get a internet anonymous thing (not sure of official name of type of program), I have one called Steganos Internet Anonym, not sure if there is a free or trial version but this program works by covering your IP adress with anotherone somewhere else in the world, It makes surfing the net slower but it gets faster as it learns better servers to use and it changes the adress every 30 seconds or so to begin with.

#7 Alpha_Blue

Alpha_Blue

Malware Fyta

• PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

That's called a proxy server, if I am correct.

#8 Robbie Bo

Robbie Bo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:50 AM

To my knowledge, there are three kinds of tools you can use to hide your ip address.

First is the www.anonymizer.com concept, where they give you a proxy server and you use their software to access it. The downside is you need to pay a yearly or monthly fee for this kind of service. Since Anonymizer owns their proxy servers, they are all in the same IP range/block, making it easy for webmasters to detect if you are comming from a proxy and bann your accordingly.

The second concept is like the one at www.hide-my-ip.com, where they use many public proxy servers from all over the world (harder to trace), and no subscription costs.

The third method is to use a CGI Proxy, just type "CGI PROXY" in google to find how these work. They are a website that browses sites for you, thereby showing the cgi proxy IP and not your IP.

There is no way to "hide" your ip without using some kind of proxy or medium between your computer and the remote computer. Hope this answers your question. :D

Justin

#9 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

You may also want to look into Tor.

http://tor.eff.org/
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#10 Beth D.

Beth D.

Aeon Flux

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:46 AM

http://www.ftsoy.org/thingy.php

Hacking an IP address is, IMHO, the least of your problems with exposing your IP. You can protect yourself against that if you have two brain cells to rub together. No doubt people who read this forum are in little if any danger of such a thing.

BUT

If you or your company have your own mail servers under your own domain, your IP address can be looked up in the domain registrar via Whois. This can reveal your physical location, and your name if it's your domain and you happen to be the admin or technical contact, your physical address and phone number are right there in public view.

Your IP address appears in the header of every piece of email you send with a standard email client from your machine.

(If you take the default configuration for your router/server, your domain will appear in headers, too! So much for IP addresses, huh?)

Here's one from my fiancé He won't care if you find out he's a rocket scientist. ;)

Received: from ... [146.165.204.53]
(In case it's not obvious, the relevant IP is the one at the bottom - the first one the outgoing message goes to.)

When we paste that into handy dandy www.geektools.com/whois.php, it gives us:

OrgName: National Aeronautics and Space Administration
OrgID: NASA
Address: IS05/Office of the Chief Information Officer
City: MSFC
StateProv: AL
PostalCode: 35812

It also appears in the headers of most web based mailers, including hotmail, lycos, and yahoo. Actually, every one I'm aware of except gmail, which I'm obviously fond of.

Furthermore, IP addresses can be googled. People like me do it all the time. If you're on a mailing list, or a usenet-like thingy that propogates headers, I've got your IP address--unless you're using gmail. You'd be surprised how many people get hotmail accounts, thinking they're anonymous, and then participate in sensitive discussions on mailing lists or elsewhere where the IP is available. I've googled the IP, found another such place where they've posted with a real name, and voilà, now I know who confessed to being schizophrenic.

And, so, any website you go to that snags your IP (see how easy it is to do above?) the admin can whois it, google it, and do everything I just showed you, too.

Just sayin'

Edited by Beth D., 27 June 2006 - 01:56 AM.

#11 Smackdat

Smackdat

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:29 PM

You may also want to look into Tor.

http://tor.eff.org/

I can vouch for TOR, it's good stuff.

#12 Smackdat

Smackdat

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

http://www.ftsoy.org/thingy.php

Hacking an IP address is, IMHO, the least of your problems with exposing your IP. You can protect yourself against that if you have two brain cells to rub together. No doubt people who read this forum are in little if any danger of such a thing.

BUT

If you or your company have your own mail servers under your own domain, your IP address can be looked up in the domain registrar via Whois. This can reveal your physical location, and your name if it's your domain and you happen to be the admin or technical contact, your physical address and phone number are right there in public view.

Your IP address appears in the header of every piece of email you send with a standard email client from your machine.

(If you take the default configuration for your router/server, your domain will appear in headers, too! So much for IP addresses, huh?)

Here's one from my fiancé He won't care if you find out he's a rocket scientist. ;)

Received: from ... [146.165.204.53]
(In case it's not obvious, the relevant IP is the one at the bottom - the first one the outgoing message goes to.)

When we paste that into handy dandy www.geektools.com/whois.php, it gives us:

OrgName: National Aeronautics and Space Administration
OrgID: NASA
Address: IS05/Office of the Chief Information Officer
City: MSFC
StateProv: AL
PostalCode: 35812

It also appears in the headers of most web based mailers, including hotmail, lycos, and yahoo. Actually, every one I'm aware of except gmail, which I'm obviously fond of.

Furthermore, IP addresses can be googled. People like me do it all the time. If you're on a mailing list, or a usenet-like thingy that propogates headers, I've got your IP address--unless you're using gmail. You'd be surprised how many people get hotmail accounts, thinking they're anonymous, and then participate in sensitive discussions on mailing lists or elsewhere where the IP is available. I've googled the IP, found another such place where they've posted with a real name, and voilà, now I know who confessed to being schizophrenic.

And, so, any website you go to that snags your IP (see how easy it is to do above?) the admin can whois it, google it, and do everything I just showed you, too.

Just sayin'

Nope, it does appear in gmail, you just need to do a bit of clicking

1. Open the email
2. Click the option, 'More options'
3. Then click the option 'Show original'
4. You will then have a new page come up showing the message with the full email header.
5. Look for the part that says:
X-Originating-IP: [ip]
6. Your Done.

#13 Kazap

Kazap

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

Hi, Ive been using the Tor network for sometime and find it very effective, it can be a little slow sometimes, but on the whole it does what I need it to do, I wrote a little guide to TOR some time ago, its a beginners intro really, but might be useful to some.

Cant complain for a free product tbh!

#14 Deon

Deon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:05 AM

<snip>
<snip>

Isn't it awesome :D

Nope, it does appear in gmail, you just need to do a bit of clicking

1. Open the email
2. Click the option, 'More options'
3. Then click the option 'Show original'
4. You will then have a new page come up showing the message with the full email header.
5. Look for the part that says:
X-Originating-IP: [ip]
6. Your Done.

(s)he means if you send an email using GMail, the other person can't see your IP, generally it comes up as 66.249.82.229 (a Whois shows it belongs to 'Google Inc').

-Deon

ps. Oh and great forum too ;)

#15 gundog

gundog

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:41 AM

To my knowledge, its not possible to "hide" your IP on the net, except through the well-established means of proxies, et cetra; otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect to any other website, or service. If paltalk is revealing your IP to other users, you have no choice but to take up another chat programme.

No one has mentioned iPhantom. I found this article and demonstration of it at at this website that also offers TOR to hide your IP address. HIDE YOUR IP ADDRESS WEBSITE Any way there was a radio interview with Steve Gibson on there too that explained TOR and FREENET. Anyone used iPhantom or FREENET? CHECK IT OUT!

Edited by gundog, 20 December 2006 - 03:43 AM.

#16 jayshastri

jayshastri

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

is it possible to hide my IP while i am connecting to the web using Dreamweaver? i use dreamweaver and FTP explorer to upload my files to my web server. i would not like any hackers to know my ip when i do that. is this possible?

#17 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that while you're connected to your webserver. Unless someone's conducting a man in the middle attack or is sniffing the packets on your LAN, you're pretty much clear.

#18 Steven V.S. Cat

Steven V.S. Cat

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:50 AM

Hi everybody i need help. There is a chat program called paltalk. I downloaded this chat program some time ago.

When i am chatting there are also operators in the room and my relations with one of them is very bad, therefore I changed my nickname and got another one. But this operator keeps knowing that it is me even though i got a new nickname. How does he know my IP?

How does he know my IP during the chat? He mentioned some like 'NETSTAT'. I read something on the internet that if you view the camera of the operator they can know your IP. Can they not know your IP normally if you don't view their camera.

I want to know if I can stop this person identifying me by preventing him from knowing my IP.

The cheap and free proxy program doesn't seem to work.

I have XP SP. AMD athlon

please help meee i am fed up with this operator.

You can try this
http://www.privacyconnector.com
It use VPN solution to encrypt your Internet connection and make you anonymous surfing.
Just subscribe it using PayPal, and cancel the subscription within one week, you can use it for free without any charge. But this server is very slow.....

#19 Malleable

Malleable

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:45 AM

Ive been using GhostSurf for a while. http://www.digitalri.../ghost_surf.htm

I dont have any real knowledge of how these things work. It was just the only internet anonomizer that came up when I was looking around, and the only one people mentioned on this site a couple years ago when I was looking for one.

It is not a service, but a software program you only need to buy once. Ive been using the 2005 Standard for a while on my x64bit systems, and I did purchase the 2006 Pro, but it seemed to have problems with XP x64. Or it could have just been problems with Counter Spy. Never figured out which, just switched back.
Lots of customization on how it anonomizes, and it comes with TracksCleaner, which erases stuff on my system. TracksCleaner also has alot of customizations with Gutman Algoriths/DOD whachamacallits, and Marster Twister scramblers for erasing the wiped space. I wanted something that I could schedule to clean everything on my system, rather than just the history portion of my browser, and I can schedule it in a variety of ways. It seems to clean up alot of excess temp files on my system, so Ive been happy with it.

The Pro or Platnium version also comes with SpyCatcher. And since CounterSpy 2.0 doesnt work with x64 OS's yet, I might just have to try this out.

Anyone know how GhostSurf stacks up against Tor?

Thanks,
Mal

#20 Deny

Deny

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Not welcome on the board.Delete my message!

Thanks

Edited by Deny, 20 March 2007 - 01:12 AM.

#21 Cerber

Cerber

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

You can try a free limited copy of Arovax SmartHide. Please request to my PM on the forum for invitation code.

It was designed to provide you with the most important defence on the web – anonymity. SmartHide will keep your IP address hidden, encrypt and compress your traffic, secure all the protocols on your PC (E-mail, Web-browsing, IM, P2P, etc) and even more.

#22 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

You can try a free limited copy of Arovax SmartHide. Please request to my PM on the forum for invitation code.

It was designed to provide you with the most important defence on the web – anonymity. SmartHide will keep your IP address hidden, encrypt and compress your traffic, secure all the protocols on your PC (E-mail, Web-browsing, IM, P2P, etc) and even more.

Caution! That may be legitimate, or may be a sneaky way to get you to disclose your email address. We are investigating. In the meantime do not PM him with your address.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#23 Cerber

Cerber

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

Caution! That may be legitimate, or may be a sneaky way to get you to disclose your email address. We are investigating. In the meantime do not PM him with your address.

Do not worry. I am not trying to steal email addresses. I just want to help you. I dont want to publish invites to everyone so just tell me whom to send invite and you will check yourself...

#24 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:42 AM

Cerber, If it is really you, I apologize. We have been vexed lately by imposters and are perhaps overly suspicious. However I'm told that the real Cerber hasn't posted in his own forum since 2006.

I tried to register at http://forum.arovax.com/ so I could PM you, but have yet to receive the validation email.
UNITE

#25 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

I just received PM from trusted person at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

Arovax PMed me back. It is the real Cerber. Glad to know it's not an imposter. :)

Welcome to the forum, Cerber. Next time we'll recognize you. :wave:
UNITE

#26 Cerber

Cerber

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

Nice to meet you as well! Just decided to widen a circle of discussion group and to invite users to our serivce http://www.smarthide.com. There is a free version with some limitations as well as paid without limits

#27 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

I'm not too keen on this idea:

Forums and Chat rooms
Return to the forum or chart room where your IP address has been banned.

We don't ban people for no reason, you know. Enabling them to come back iwould be doing our members a disservice. However I suppose that if the bad guys don't use your program, no doubt they could find another.

(I think you mean 'chat room', not 'chart room'.)
UNITE

#28 hideip

hideip

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

Nice to meet you as well! Just decided to widen a circle of discussion group and to invite users to our serivce http://www.smarthide.com. There is a free version with some limitations as well as paid without limits

Hi! Could I get the invitation code too :) please. I need the full version very much! Thanks))

Edited by hideip, 02 October 2007 - 01:06 PM.

#29 Cerber

Cerber

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:53 AM

Hi! Could I get the invitation code too :) please. I need the full version very much! Thanks))

We canceled invites. Now everyone is able to register for a free or a paid version of SmartHide :thumbup:

#30 Indrid_Cold

Indrid_Cold

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:40 AM

Cerber - There is no need to reregister as an alter-ego to post a phony question so you can suddenly reappear to answer it. If you have updated info ...just post it.
Hope is not a method.

If I have helped in some way, please consider donating to SpywareInfo's crusade against Malware See Here

Member of ASAP since 2004 Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Member of UNITE since 2006 United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Fight back Malware Complaints

#31 Eddie_017

Eddie_017

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:45 AM

is it possible to hide my IP while i am connecting to the web using Dreamweaver? i use dreamweaver and FTP explorer to upload my files to my web server. i would not like any hackers to know my ip when i do that. is this possible?

Read this [url="dxconst.biz/vpn-a about anonymous surfig /url] , it's possible :)

Edit: Link munged based on additional info from TheJoker...

Edited by Budfred, 05 January 2008 - 10:39 AM.

#32 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

Please note that a brand new member posting a link to a site that has most of its text in cyrillic is suspect and you need to be very cautious about visiting that site, especially if your computer is not well protected... This link and certainly this site is NOT endorsed by SWI...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#33 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,462 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

An obvious attempt to post an ad for a service disguised as help. Why in the world would anyone subscribe to a service from a page largely in Cyrillic (and a .biz or business domain registered in Russia less than 3 months ago), for a service described as running through a server in Amsterdam, from a company incorporated in Belize??

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#34 Abadi

Abadi

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

By letting know your ip adress for a hacker,, what can be his most damage ?

A year ago I did sent my ip to someone. Thought he couldn't do anything. Between 1 or 2 minutes my internet was down. I had to reset my modem/router to connect on the internet again.

Can something like this be possible? or was it just a wrong firewall settings ?

#35 Mahtab Hussain

Mahtab Hussain

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

Hi,

Here is an easy way solution to your problem. Use [name of commercial program - we do not allow advertising - cnm] program and it will hide you totally and you will be able to surf n chat anonymously. It will stop anyone gettting any information without your consend.

Edited by cnm, 26 July 2010 - 12:01 AM.
Removed name of commercial program

#36 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Look, if you need to hide your IP for ANY reason (evading the Great Firewall of China, posting as a dissident in a repressive regime, browsing at work, whistleblowing, WHATEVER), just go open-source and guaranteed private and use Tor and Privoxy.

http://www.torprojec...ownload.html.en

This includes Tor, Privoxy, and Vidalia (UI for the Tor software to turn it on and off easily).

Read this link to understand what it does and does not do (e.g. encryption - just use forced HTTPS for all of this. VPNs are still controlled by the other endpoint, and if the other end is untrustworthy or is compromised, you're kinda screwed no matter what).

http://www.torprojec...html.en#Warning

Mods, I'm tempted to ask if we can lock the thread so the adbots stop responding to it.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button