PC Startup Issue.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mekael

Mekael

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:58 AM

Operating System: Windows XP, Intel Pentium 4 (2.6ghz) with matching Motherboard.)

Problem:

When the PC is turned on manually from the powersupply it immediately starts up but only stays active for a few moments. First reaction was to check the power supply to make sure it hasnt shorted out or isnt bad. Hooked the supply up to a different PC and it ran just fine. My only guess is that it could possibly be the motherboard. Need guidance on how to fix/repair this problem.

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

It could be a heat problem. Have you cleaned out any dust from the cpu heatsink recently. A can of comressed air ( air duster), and a soft brush is all you need.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

Doesn't sound like heat to me; "moments" are far too short a time for heat problems to be manifesting. Is anything at all showing on the monitor? Is Windows booting normally? How far in the boot process is the puter going before problems manifest? My guess is a power transient that may have got through and perhaps destroyed data in your BIOS or CMOS ROM. This has happened to me before from simply unplugging a fluorescent lamp connected to the same circuit the putter was on (inductive kickback). One in a million chance happening, I know, but needless to say, I take care with items with coils in them now. Also, thunderstorms are another item to be wary of.

Edited by hornet777, 22 September 2005 - 08:42 PM.

After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button