• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 jambo

jambo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!

Recently my old sound card (SB Audigy 2) died and I had to replace it for a new SB Live 24Bit. I inserted the new SB card into the PCI slot where the old card had previously been and at first the sound was OK, and to make sure that it never happend again I installed all the latest drivers from the Creative website. But after a few minutes playing sound the same problem happened and the sound from the card sounded like an old-fashioned vinyl record that had been slowed down and the music was constantly hissing & doing all kinds of dodgy crap.

After this I changed the card o a different slot on my motherboard and it seems to be fine but there is another more obvious problem, the computer is ridiculously slow!

Recently I also noticed that my CPU speed had dropped from 1.8GHz to 1.72GHz which is very odd and the system has become very slow (Considering it has 1Gb worth of RAM lol).

I am definatley up to date in terms of device drivers and XP itself says that there are no device conflicts between any of the equipment so I am at a loss to explain what it going on.

Could it be that my motherboard or CPU is dying on me?

#2 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:18 PM

Use Task Manager to determine what is hogging all the CPU time.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#3 jambo

jambo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:06 AM

Use Task Manager to determine what is hogging all the CPU time.

View Post

I have just checked task manager and apart from the system tasks there are a few mysterious processes running that could be causing this problem

The tasks are

Justched.exe
msmsgs.exe
qttask.exe

I have determined that these services are safe to end, but I still have an obvious decrease in my CPUs speed

Edited by jambo, 23 September 2005 - 08:17 AM.

#4 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:58 PM

Not sure what the justched task is, but you can do without the other two altogether; still, this does not solve the problem. The other two are msn messenger and a stub for quick time.

There should be a tab on task manager that will tell you how much CPU time each task is taking. One (or more) of these is hogging the CPU and bogging your system down. If you can find that, we can go from there; alternatively you could find a copy of ATM (Another Task Manager) on the web, which does show CPU slices for each task.

Not much else can be done until the offending processes are found.

#5 jambo

jambo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:23 PM

I have found that a windows system process called "System Idle Process" is constantly taking a lot of CPU time but at the moment everythign seems normal and the CPU is performing like it should. Today I opened up my PC to find a lifetimes supply of dust in and aroudnd the CPU's heatsink & on the motherboard itself so i GOT A CAN OF COMPRESSED AIR AND GAVE IT A GOOD DAMN CLEAN!

So everything sounds good now.

But what I want to know is why did my old sound card decide to go funny after months of reliable service and why does my new sound card perform fine now that I have changed the PCI Latency Clock (In my CPU's BIOS) from 32 up to 64, could this be why my PC's running slow? Its just that comps really piss me off when i keep spending vast amounts of cash upgrading the stuff

Edited by jambo, 24 September 2005 - 05:25 PM.

#6 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

Not to worry about the "idle 'process'". That's just what isn't being used by the system. Its not really a "process" at all, even though M$ designated it so. Its good to keep it as high as possible! Same with hygiene (dust) as well as "safe hex". Its a lil less messy to use a vacuum though, even though all the "gurus" say its unsafe from a static electricity POV :-).

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button