Toolbar clock exactly 3 hrs slow, intermittent

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 esu

esu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:11 AM

Every now and then like maybe my 3rd or 4th boot up when the computer finally comes on my toolbar clock reads exactly 3 hrs slow. I'm running Win XP with SP2. Started about a month ago. It's never 10 mins off or 1 hr off, always exactly 3 hrs and never on every boot up. I was thinking motherboard battery but wouldnt it give an overall slow clock, not exactly 3 hrs every few boot ups?? Computer is home built, about 2 yrs old. Mother board is an ASUS P4B533. Probably cant hurt to change the battery anyway. Tried to google the problem with no luck. Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:12 AM

Since you are running XP, you have an option to have the clock synchronized periodically via the internet. Click on the clock icon, then go into the 'Internet Time' tab and check the 'Automatically synchronize' box.

Make sure you are set for the correct time zone and daylight saving on/off (the 'Time Zone' tab - click your location on the map). If you are set for the wrong zone, then every time it synchronizes it will give you the wrong time, as you describe..

Aside from that, the real time clock is in the CMOS non-volatile memory chip on your motherboard, and may possibly be defective (rare) or just strange.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 esu

esu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

Since you are running XP, you have an option to have the clock synchronized periodically via the internet.  Click on the clock icon, then go into the 'Internet Time' tab and check the 'Automatically synchronize' box.

Make sure you are set for the correct time zone and daylight saving on/off (the 'Time Zone' tab - click your location on the map).  If you are set for the wrong zone, then every time it synchronizes it will give you the wrong time, as you describe..

Aside from that, the real time clock is in the CMOS non-volatile memory chip on your motherboard, and may possibly be defective (rare) or just strange.

View Post

Somehow got set for pacific time and I'm in the east. That would explain the exact 3 hr difference. Never new that function existed and how it got screwed up. Thx for the help.

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

You're welcome. :)
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button