Flash Drive interferes with XP startup?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

I have an eMachines T6410 with Windows XP Home edition SP2. If I have my Cruzer mini 256 MB flash drive connected to any USB port when I boot up, the computer boots as normal (as far as I can tell) and then gets stuck on a black screen, never making it to the Windows XP logon screen.

Repeating system startup with Lexar flash drive: no problem.

Checked SanDisk website: the Cruzer mini requires no driver to work on the WinXP OS.

So that's why the flash drive doesn't give itself a name, grrr. With this new computer I have 7 USB ports and it is confusing not knowing which one has my flash drive.

Called eMachines tech support they don't know how to do anything except Restore the OS. No way! Lose all my work for a minor problem like this?

It is annoying though. I planned on having the Cruzer mini always connected for automated backups of data. I don't think the OS is corrupted, maybe just needs some tweaking. I did check the BIOS and it was set up to boot from CD-ROM, Hard Drive, Removable, Lan. I disabled the Removable boot but still no joy. Worse case I guess I'll just get a different brand flash drive.

Can anyone help?

Tab

EDIT: the next day...read on some other forum about going into control panel->administrative tools->computer management...there's a disk management section in there under Storage...I think I selected the Sandisk drive and then told it to "Rescan Disks" from the Action menu. Now I have had a successful reboot that made it all the way to the logon screen while the flash drive was connected to the USB port. I think I'll assume that my OS is not corrupted, stupid eMachines. :weep: I miss my Cyberpower computer :wub:

Edited by Tab, 26 September 2005 - 11:01 AM.

#2 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

OK, the Rescan Disks may have done nothing. When I "Restart" the computer now, it makes it to the logon/Welcome screen. But if I shut down/turn off the computer and the boot the computer, it still hangs up.

The new thing I noticed is if I disconnect the Sandisk while the computer is hanging on the black screen, then the Logon/Welcome screen comes on.

Does this help anyone know what the problem is? Some feedback would be much appreciated. Should I try Reformatting the flash drive? Anyone?

Thanks,
Tab

#3 bmv1973

bmv1973

Computer Engineer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:02 PM

when your in your disk management, is your flash drive intialized? Has this just started or has it been an issue for awhile. I don't like reformatting drives(even flash drive's) to easy of a solution.

Another thing is going into your event viewer and seeing if there are any error's under system and hardware. If there are ones pertaining to your drive let me know. Have you tried uninstalling it through device manager then rebooting?

#4 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

{EDIT: to clarify, this problem just started because I didn't try to boot with the Sandisk flash drive connected until a couple days ago. That is when the problem started. It does not interfere with startup on my spouse's computer, just this new computer. It wouldn't be a big deal, except it probably shouldn't be happening and I would like to be able to have the flash drive always connected for making scheduled backups. My Lexar doesn't hold enough MB for what I want to do.}

Ooops! I already tried the Format (right clicked the drive, clicked Format, set volume label to "SanDisk") Should I be concerned that the format is called FAT32 instead of just FAT (like my Lexar) ?

Reformatting didn't fix the startup problem.

Is your flash drive initialized?

I don't know, what do I look for?

Event Viewer/System

There are Errors since I first booted with the Sandisk connected (9/24/05) and the subsequent troubleshooting and they all say: "RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB Device." (111)

also: "RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library LEXAR DIGITAL FILM USB Device." (111) [it is not a digital film USB device though!]

However, the Lexar does not interfere with startup.

This computer was purchased and first booted on 9/7/05. The operating system was pre-installed. The only other errors I saw are from that first day for the Service Control Manager:

"The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found." (7023)

I had to install some drivers, make my own recovery disks ( :grrr: ) set up an HP printer/fax/scanner etc. that first day, maybe that is what the 7023 errors are?

Have you tried uninstalling it through device manager then rebooting?

I could try that but I'm wondering what this will do. The computer boots fine as long as the flash drive is not connected. Would I still be able to use it if I uninstalled it? Is this to re-initialize it?

Thanks for your help!
Tab

Edited by Tab, 26 September 2005 - 02:45 PM.

#5 bmv1973

bmv1973

Computer Engineer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

As for the Fat instead of Fat32, should not be a problem, as XP is (if it was formatted this way) is NTFS and it see's all fat and fat32 drives. Try this and post back. If this does not do it have another suggestion

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. In the left pane, under Computer Management (local), expand System
Tools, and then click Device Manager.
3. In the right pane, expand the device type, right-click the device, and
then click Uninstall.
4. In the left pane, expand Removable Storage, and then expand Libraries.
5. Under Libraries, right-click the device, and then click Delete.
6. In the left pane, click Device Manager.
7. In the right pane, right-click the name of the local computer (usually
the first name in the list), and then click Scan for hardware changes.
8. Restart the computer if you are prompted.

#6 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

OK, I got stuck on deleting the device under libraries because it was no longer named SanDisk after I uninstalled it. Which one do I delete?

Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
HP psc 2210 USB Device (not my printer :p)
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S
Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
LEXAR DIGITAL FILM USB Device

Many thanks!
Tab

EDIT: hmmm, I was trying to figure out which of the above I should delete and I disconnected my K: Lexar Jump Drive--> suddenly my computer started doing stuff, it recognized new hardware connected and gave the K: drive to the Sandisk cruzer mini. It has been L: up until now. How bizarre. So I shut down/booted up, still hangs just before the Welcome screen. Then I followed your steps with this exception: the Sandisk disappeared from Removable Storage/Libraries all by itself when it was uninstalled, so I did not have to actually delete it. I hope that's right. Sadly, this did not fix the problem. What is your other idea?

Edited by Tab, 26 September 2005 - 10:51 PM.

#7 Tab

Tab

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

small update...

Used SanDisk e-mail tech support - I have already tried everything they suggested and if that's not it, they want me to go to the pc manufacturer for help. I already know how that will go. What was your other suggestion bmv?

Thanks,
Tab

My brother swapped me his cruzer mini for mine. The only differences between ours - his was made in Taiwan, mine in China. Also, mine came with CruzerLock 2 (made by EncryptX) software, though that was long gone after I reformatted.

I guess. :scratchhead:

Case closed. No need to get back to me, bmv...problem solved....uh, bmv?

hello?

thanks for your help earlier...

Edited by Tab, 30 September 2005 - 09:58 PM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button