Avast vs. AVG

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Satsume

Satsume

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:48 AM

I'm looking for a good virus scanner for my new laptop.

Both Avast and AVG seem popular.. I just want some opinions. Or is there an even better virus scanner out there?

#2 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

Both Avast and AVG seem popular.. I just want some opinions. Or is there an even better virus scanner out there?

Does it have to be free?
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#3 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

Does it have to be free?
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#4 Satsume

Satsume

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:25 AM

Yes, I'd prefer freeware.

#5 hornet777

hornet777

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:23 AM

Try and use both, and maybe a couple others as well. There is not single best; just make sure that if you use resident protection, you only have one activated, and use the rest as manual scanners.
After all is invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?

#6 thirdlife

thirdlife

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

I really like AVG. Been using it for over 2 years without problems.

As far as Avast goes, I've only used the 64bit edition once, so I can't really comment.

#7 Marina

Marina

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

Avast! I found the best, I had problems with AVG if always seed to forget how to update. No problems with Avast been using it for 3 years

#8 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:45 PM

I stick AVG on all the Windows machines I use that aren't servers, since AVG Free refuses to run on server editions of Windows (and I run Server 2K3 as a desktop OS, heh).

It's not bad, and I've never had issues with updating. It _is_ a pain when I'm trying to dissect malware, but that's about it./
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#9 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:34 PM

I haven’t used Avast for a long enough period to learn all of it’s idiosyncrasies.
I’ve installed AVG on a few of my systems with only one complaint…there is no good way of temporarily turning off the active monitoring. (This feature can come in handy if you want to perform an active scan with another antivirus program as running two at one time can cause numerous problems)

As far as detection rates, I tested both of them a while back along with a number of other antivirus programs on my library of viruses, worms, backdoors and Trojans. As I remember it, Avast had better detection rates than AVG on my library. However, the last comparison test I ran was over a year ago and both Avast’s and AVG’s definition files have been updated significantly since then. Subsequently, their detection rates could also have changed significantly in that time.

#10 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

I havenít used Avast for a long enough period to learn all of itís idiosyncrasies.
Iíve installed AVG on a few of my systems with only one complaintÖthere is no good way of temporarily turning off the active monitoring. (This feature can come in handy if you want to perform an active scan with another antivirus program as running two at one time can cause numerous problems)

As far as detection rates, I tested both of them a while back along with a number of other antivirus programs on my library of viruses, worms, backdoors and Trojans.  As I remember it, Avast had better detection rates than AVG on my library.  However, the last comparison test I ran was over a year ago and both Avastís and AVGís definition files have been updated significantly since then.  Subsequently, their detection rates could also have changed significantly in that time.

Well the other free antivirus in the big 3 with real time scanning is Antivir. I believe that Antivir and AVAST have generally better detection rates than AVG.

But if you are looking for backups, you can use superior engines that have on demand only like Escan , Bitdefender, online scans etc.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button